TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I'd like an electric car rental for 4-6 weeks while my MS is in the shop

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GasKilla, Jul 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GasKilla

GasKilla No Gas Know Peace

As my name suggests I don't like using gasoline and dread having to use a gas guzzler for 4-6 weeks while my Tesla is repaired (I commute to work 75 miles round trip 5x a week). The kid who hit me doesn't have enough insurance to cover a Tesla rental for that time, but I spoke to my insurance company and they said they can cut a check for anyone who rents me a car as long as they provide a tax ID (SS# is ok) and an invoice. My rental limit is $30 a day with a $900 max. This is no way covers a Tesla rental from the major car rental companies.

So if someone happens to have extra EV they can part with for that amount of time (I'd even take a plug-in hybrid as a last resort) you'd be doing me a great service and would make a tiny bit of money at the same time.

I know this is a long shot but I have to try. I bought a Tesla so I wouldn't ever have to use a gas car again (my wife also has an EV). It would mean a great deal to me if this somehow works out. Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your help.

I live in the Los Angeles area.

• Like x 1
  2. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

If only you were in Texas.

• Funny x 1
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Maybe try Turo?

4. GasKilla

Not familiar with that ... is it a website?

5. Russell

Russell Member

• Informative x 1
  6. GasKilla

I checked out the site, basically like uber for car rentals? Anyone actually rent a car though this site?

7. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

You also might talk to a local Nissan dealer. They might be able to rent you a used Leaf from their lot for that period at close to that cost. Since you're in CA it should be plenty of range unless you like to drive 85, and even OK for that so long as you have trickle charging at work. Coming from a Tesla they'll be a much less luxurious car, but certainly better than most rental spec stuff.

• Informative x 1
  8. GasKilla

I actually went from a Leaf to a Tesla (seriously been into this gas killing thing for a while) and the range on my 2012 Leaf was very suspect after a couple of years. My drive is 75 miles round trip with hills. Workplace charging unavailable (not even a 120v outlet in the parking garage). Unless they upped the range on the Leafs I'd have a hard time making my commute, but there are some free chargers close by, not that I'd want to charge every day after work.

9. GasKilla

I guessed there'd be someone in LA with more than one Tesla in the garage that they could part with for a bit ... ya know to help us keep moving towards sustainable transport

10. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

The Leaf now has a 30kWh battery, up from the previous 24. EPA range is now 107 mi. As long as your speed is not too high, it's doable.

11. GasKilla

What model year did they upgrade the battery?

12. LoL Rick

LoL Rick Like Buttah

I had to look it up to be sure, so here is the quote from wikipedia:
    2016 model year
    Nissan added more battery capacity which increased the range of the car on a full charge. A larger 30 kWh battery is on the SL and SV trims, and the S trim initially kept the smaller 24 kWh battery found in earlier Leafs.[79] However, midway through the 2016 model year, Nissan changed the battery in the base Leaf S model from 24 kWh to 30 kWh. [80]

The official EPA range for the 2016 Leaf with the 30 kWh battery is 172 km (107 miles), while the range for Leaf with the smaller 24 kWh is 135 km (84 miles), the same as the 2014/15 model year.[5][81][82]

13. Nosken

Nosken Member

Some Hertz and Enterprise locations rent Teslas.

14. GasKilla

Yeah but their prices are way more than I have to work with from my insurance ...

15. bishoppeak

bishoppeak Member

Any chance of suing the kid's insurance under the liability coverage?

16. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

The 2014 Leaf also has a slight upgrade to the battery. If your initial range was good enough then a 2014 with full bars should have no problem doing the 75 mile commute provided you can control your right foot. The 2011/2012 and some of the 2013s had real problems with the batteries getting worse quickly. Even if it requires some low speed driving or a fifteen minute public charge that might be something to consider.

17. GasKilla

His limit was $10k and he totaled the other car between us. My repair will be around $20k so there isn't even enough money on his policy to cover the damages. I could sue this parents in small claims court for anything my policy doesn't cover but that's a crap shoot.

18. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Another thought: there are a number of used Kia Soul EVs around here used. Same idea, rent a used one from a car lot. The Souls all have a 27 kWh battery with some hidden anti-brick margin, so in warm weather they can get closer to 90 miles on the freeway. We use one regularly for an 86 mile round trip with hills, and arrive home with 10 miles of range or so even if it's a bit rainy or cool.

19. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

Another opportunity for Tesla...

20. GasKilla

I called my local Nissan dealer and they don't rent Leafs. Checked on Turo and can't find any Leafs from 2016-17. My drive has hills so I'm not sure an older model will make it considering hills and A/C