Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'd like to order today, but get a 2020 model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to get today's price but have my car come as a 2020 vehicle, being delivered sometime in January. is that possible?

yes, I realize that I won't get the $1800 luxury tax deduction.

I'm wanting a grey Model X with FSD and seven seat cream interior, by the way.

thanks,

someguy

I'd like to get today's price but have my car come as a 2020 vehicle, being delivered sometime in January. is that possible?

thanks,

someguy

I believe all the new ones being built today are already 2020 models. You should order today - maybe get it for Christmas - with an $1875 Christmas bonus.

Why? I don't understand any of this. Tesla doesn't really do model years. You want to order today but get a car built in 2020 and delivered in 2020? Sooo order at the end of December, but they'll try to get you in a car before year end. Or order 1/1/2020 :D

But even then, they may try to sell a 2019 build.

Reactions: Jarvisd1015
I did this for my 2017 X. They posponed delivery untl a 2017 came down the line in my configuration. They held the earlier price as well.

Now, it may actually be a 2019 build, but labeled as a 2020.

As with many things, Tesla, this is sometimes a fluid thing.

Why? I don't understand any of this. Tesla doesn't really do model years.

Whether Tesla does or does not "do" model years is irrelevant: insurers and the resale market do care about model year.

And the fact that people have been receiving 2020s for the last week or so (we're in October) seems to indicate that Telsa does "do" model years.

Now, it may actually be a 2019 build, but labeled as a 2020.

The VIN designation is what matters to the uninformed secondhand market and insurers.

Why? I don't understand any of this. Tesla doesn't really do model years. You want to order today but get a car built in 2020 and delivered in 2020? Sooo order at the end of December, but they'll try to get you in a car before year end. Or order 1/1/2020 :D

But even then, they may try to sell a 2019 build.

This is no longer true.

thanks,

someguy

Ordering now will definitely be a 2020 model year. Everything coming off the line right now is a 2020. As long as you take delivery this year, you're still eligible for the tax credit. It's based on delivery date, not model year date.

• Informative
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
the main reason I want it to be a 2020 is for resale. are people currently receiving Tesla Model X vehicles that are considered to be 2020? Where can I read about and (try to) confirm this? I'm not going to trust a salesman on this.
I ordered mine on Oct 4. Model X Long Range, Blue, Cream, FSD, 20 in wheels, 5 seat. Got VIN Yesterday and it says 2020 model. No delivery date yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Billstickers
From your user name, I assume you’re in Texas. In case you didn’t know, for Texas purchases, Tesla requires for the car to be fully funded before they will put the car on a truck carrier to be shipped to Texas from California. So that delivery date won’t really be solid until the carrier is closer to your town.

thanks,

someguy
There are different shades of grey. They call it metallic silver which is different from the one I have seen outside. Suggest to double check.

Whether Tesla does or does not "do" model years is irrelevant: insurers and the resale market do care about model year...
And for the 2020 particular model year this will be particularly true. If you are looking for a raven drive train in the future and consider a 2019, you have to figure out the build date to know if it has the raven drive unit. But with a 2020 everyone will know. Much like all 2019 cars have MCU2 but not all 2018.

Last edited:
I ordered mine on Oct 4. Model X Long Range, Blue, Cream, FSD, 20 in wheels, 5 seat. Got VIN Yesterday and it says 2020 model. No delivery date yet.

I ordered mine October 12th. Based on your timeline I should get my VIN in a week. Pretty exciting. I can finally set up financing and insurance. Then all I have to do is wait until I can drive it home from Fremont. Please post when you have delivery date. I should be a week behind you. Thanks for posting.