Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID10T Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Supporting Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
So, shortly after I got my M3, I noticed a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at various times. It seemed to be mostly when I was slowly accelerating or de-accelerating, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly when it happened. It was brief (less than a second) and never caused any driving issues. But it still seemed like something just wasn't right.

So, I made an S/C appointment and after the three week wait, I pulled into the service center today where they checked me in and then we went out for a test drive.

Now, I have to say here that I recalled one incidence over the weekend while on the freeway. But I spent all day yesterday and this morning trying to figure out how to trigger it so I could demonstrate it for the service technician. But damnit, I just couldn't force it to happen.

So, back to this morning's test drive. As expected, I was unable to make it happen <grrrrr>. So then the tech pulls a couple of things up on my screen and has me change lanes without signaling. And with that, he was able to precisely diagnose the problem. He didn't say it but I did; it was clearly a ID10T error.

So I sheepishly drove back to the S/C, apologizing profusely to him and the service agent in charge of my case.

Maybe I need to study the manual a little more. :oops:

Apparently, but I have it turned on and it NEVER works :( (I've tried a few times to trigger it on the freeway with no one around- does it require other cars to be around?)
There are two levels. One will trigger if you 'drift' out of your lane, so if you're actively steering it won't trigger. The emergency one will trigger if you're encroaching a lane, even actively, if you're at risk of collision.

There are two levels. One will trigger if you 'drift' out of your lane, so if you're actively steering it won't trigger. The emergency one will trigger if you're encroaching a lane, even actively, if you're at risk of collision.
So there have to be other cars around for me to be at risk of collision? How do I drift without steering (I don't have NOA so is this only a feature for that?)

So there have to be other cars around for me to be at risk of collision? How do I drift without steering (I don't have NOA so is this only a feature for that?)
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Lane Departure Avoidance will only warn/assist if you drift over a line unintentionally. You can do this by just letting go of the steering wheel or very lightly steering it. I'm guessing there's a torque threshold. This is probably to catch cases of inattentiveness or maybe a driver falling asleep.

Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance will jump in even if you are actively steering across a line if it thinks there is a risk of imminent collision like a car or a wall or something.

I think both scenarios don't trigger if you're signaling. Both are definitely included in every Tesla being sold, as they are explicitly safety features and can't really be used for convenience as they are quite jarring.

I think both scenarios don't trigger if you're signaling.
Yes I think that is the case.

Long term, I see the Lane Avoidance functions as reinforcing to human drivers the need to use the turn signal when changing lanes. Which would be a good thing. Too many drivers do not use their turn signals when they should.

• Love
Reactions: DopeGhoti
I didn't understand what this was for the first few days of owning my Model 3 in October of last year either. At the time it was not a well documented feature and there was no visual feedback as to what was happening on the screen. Even for savvy users like us, these things can happen.

It says more about the UX and discoverability of features than anything else.