TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ID1103 error. Lost regen, ABS and traction control

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Alan, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Alan

Alan Member

Driving home today (2010 2.0) I got the following error

DMC FW: ABS Error warning

ID1103 Data 0x00000400

Now have no ABS, traction control or regen. I have turned the car off / on a few times and opened / closed the charge port 7 times (can not remember if that clears some codes on the Roadster or Model s :)

Any ideas what to check. If its an ABS / wheel speed sensor likely to have gone down its fairly easy for me to check with an oscilloscope (my company makes oscilloscopes).

Thanks in advance
    Alan

2. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

I have gotten this error in the past. In my case it seems to be a false error as I definitely still have Regen and I believe I still have ABS. I have been able to reproduce it by turning on my headlights, but not always. I know this sounds bizarre but it is true. I have heard of others having this same issue. You haven't by chance installed aftermarket headlamp ballasts, have you? I am fairly certain this is the case with mine and at least one other owner.

3. Pando

Pando Member

If it were the ID10T error it would have been a lot worse

• Funny x 1
  4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

That's interesting because it's easy to mount the ballast right next to the ABS unit. I've never had this problem and I wonder if it's because of where I mounted my headlight ballast.

5. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

And where did you mount yours? Mine are under the front hood tucked under the front most plastic guard, adjacent to the headlights. After replacing one ballast the problem has mostly disappeared.

6. Alan

Alan Member

I did have aftermarket headlamps several years ago but currently have the OEM HID ones. Weekend got a bit busy so did not have a chance to look into this further. Must sort it though, without regen the range really drops.

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Agree. My aftermarket HID ballast is mounted in that exact location (on the driver's side ABS unit) and I never had an issue with errors. Doesn't mean it can't happen from EMF contamination, but I've never heard anyone exhibiting that issue.

8. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Mine are mounted on the carbon fiber tub near the headlights but significantly forward of the ABS unit. I'd have to take the wheel well out to see just how far away it is.

9. ion_1

ion_1 Member

Pictures below, Morimoto ballasts, no issues yet (besides FM interference)

IMG_20161227_115451.jpg IMG_20161226_144329.jpg

10. slcasner

slcasner Member

I would guess that voltage drop due to HID current draw would be a more likely culprit than EMI from the mounting location. In my Audi I had a problem of ABS faults showing up when I started the car. Dealer could not figure it out with the diagnostic tool. Replacing the starter battery that had come to the end of its life solved the problem.

• Informative x 1
  11. PV-EV

PV-EV Member

I think in my case it was because of a faulty ballast causing a voltage transient that some part of the system didn't like. Not necessarily due to location of the ballast. I was given this clue by Panicopticon who had a similar problem that would occur when using the FOB to unlock the car. He determined it was the flashing headlights causing the error. That car was a 2.0. Mine a 2.5. Both of us had aftermarket ballasts but different brands. This might not be the problem the OP has but is worth noting. The VDS error is the same. Hours were spent troubleshooting the ABS system by Tesla and another tech.

• Informative x 1