Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID1103 error. Lost regen, ABS and traction control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
Driving home today (2010 2.0) I got the following error

DMC FW: ABS Error warning

ID1103 Data 0x00000400

Now have no ABS, traction control or regen. I have turned the car off / on a few times and opened / closed the charge port 7 times (can not remember if that clears some codes on the Roadster or Model s :)

Any ideas what to check. If its an ABS / wheel speed sensor likely to have gone down its fairly easy for me to check with an oscilloscope (my company makes oscilloscopes).

Thanks in advance
Alan

I have gotten this error in the past. In my case it seems to be a false error as I definitely still have Regen and I believe I still have ABS. I have been able to reproduce it by turning on my headlights, but not always. I know this sounds bizarre but it is true. I have heard of others having this same issue. You haven't by chance installed aftermarket headlamp ballasts, have you? I am fairly certain this is the case with mine and at least one other owner.

I have gotten this error in the past. In my case it seems to be a false error as I definitely still have Regen and I believe I still have ABS. I have been able to reproduce it by turning on my headlights, but not always. I know this sounds bizarre but it is true. I have heard of others having this same issue. You haven't by chance installed aftermarket headlamp ballasts, have you? I am fairly certain this is the case with mine and at least one other owner.
That's interesting because it's easy to mount the ballast right next to the ABS unit. I've never had this problem and I wonder if it's because of where I mounted my headlight ballast.

And where did you mount yours? Mine are under the front hood tucked under the front most plastic guard, adjacent to the headlights. After replacing one ballast the problem has mostly disappeared.

I did have aftermarket headlamps several years ago but currently have the OEM HID ones. Weekend got a bit busy so did not have a chance to look into this further. Must sort it though, without regen the range really drops.

That's interesting because it's easy to mount the ballast right next to the ABS unit. I've never had this problem and I wonder if it's because of where I mounted my headlight ballast.

Agree. My aftermarket HID ballast is mounted in that exact location (on the driver's side ABS unit) and I never had an issue with errors. Doesn't mean it can't happen from EMF contamination, but I've never heard anyone exhibiting that issue.

And where did you mount yours? Mine are under the front hood tucked under the front most plastic guard, adjacent to the headlights. After replacing one ballast the problem has mostly disappeared.
Mine are mounted on the carbon fiber tub near the headlights but significantly forward of the ABS unit. I'd have to take the wheel well out to see just how far away it is.

Pictures below, Morimoto ballasts, no issues yet (besides FM interference)

IMG_20161227_115451.jpg
IMG_20161226_144329.jpg

I would guess that voltage drop due to HID current draw would be a more likely culprit than EMI from the mounting location. In my Audi I had a problem of ABS faults showing up when I started the car. Dealer could not figure it out with the diagnostic tool. Replacing the starter battery that had come to the end of its life solved the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy

I think in my case it was because of a faulty ballast causing a voltage transient that some part of the system didn't like. Not necessarily due to location of the ballast. I was given this clue by Panicopticon who had a similar problem that would occur when using the FOB to unlock the car. He determined it was the flashing headlights causing the error. That car was a 2.0. Mine a 2.5. Both of us had aftermarket ballasts but different brands. This might not be the problem the OP has but is worth noting. The VDS error is the same. Hours were spent troubleshooting the ABS system by Tesla and another tech.

• Informative
Reactions: wiztecy
C554C75D-E67C-4F7F-BAAB-3A42598A3178.jpeg 7969C7CA-52BB-4B60-A9E3-FAC388CC2239.jpeg
Driving home today (2010 2.0) I got the following error

DMC FW: ABS Error warning

ID1103 Data 0x00000400

Now have no ABS, traction control or regen. I have turned the car off / on a few times and opened / closed the charge port 7 times (can not remember if that clears some codes on the Roadster or Model s :)

Any ideas what to check. If its an ABS / wheel speed sensor likely to have gone down its fairly easy for me to check with an oscilloscope (my company makes oscilloscopes).

Thanks in advance
Alan

I just got this same error today. Did you ever figure out your issue?

Starting the car with the headlights on can cause this error message for me. Even though the no Regen light is illuminated I still have Regen. How old is your aux battery? If the error occurred on start up, try restarting after letting it sit a few minutes until it goes to sleep. Be sure to have lights and heater off. Tesla techs spent HOURS trying to find the ABS problem, to no avail.

Starting the car with the headlights on can cause this error message for me. Even though the no Regen light is illuminated I still have Regen. How old is your aux battery? If the error occurred on start up, try restarting after letting it sit a few minutes until it goes to sleep. Be sure to have lights and heater off. Tesla techs spent HOURS trying to find the ABS problem, to no avail.

Aux battery is over 3 years old. I asked them to replace at my last annual service in 8/2017, but they said it was still okay. That was shocking to me.

The message came on abruptly while driving on the highway and I most definitely lost Regen. It was odd and I felt a little uncomfortable because the driving feel is so different.

In the previous months I noticed the Traction Control light coming on intermittently, but frequently - even over the slightest bumps in the road. I haven't been driving the Roadster much so I wanted to drive it a little more regularly for more observation before taking it in. With this error message, I'm sure I'll be seeing service very soon.

Oddly I have now had this error twice. Both times it has been due to wheel speed sensor faults. The first was a extension wire on one of the front sensors coming in contact with the wheel cutting into it (its a vauxhall astra part). The second was a sensor going down which needed a new rear hub / sensor assembly. I think the hubs are the same as the VX220 but bought Tesla to be safe due to the extra torque / weight of the Roadster.

As one of the posts above mentions test each sensor in turn if you have a meter or better an oscilloscope.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hats off to MLAUTO and Alan! From the SC today:

"We found that the driver wheel speed sensor needs to be replaced. We have placed the order for it and currently do not have an ETA. But will contact you when it arrives. Cost is $355.00."

Now, I wonder how long it'll take to get that part?

Thanks so much to this community for the insights and information! We gotta keep these "classic" cars in running best we we can.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak