Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very nice "Rocket" wash facility about a mile from my home (Linder/Chinden) and I run my MYP through at least once a week. Sometimes it's 2x/week if the office tree sap monster attacks my car. I have the car ceramic coated (Avalon King DIY, 2 coats) and I haven't had any issues with Rocket wash. I do bring my own waffle weave microfiber towels for the final paint dry, and I only use the towels they provide for stuff like rims/tires.
How do you like the ceramic coating?

There are no rocket or epic washes near me. Are they Touch-less? We do have a fancy new one in Hailey, but it is not touch-less. I have always felt touch-less was better. What say you all? We also do have the things where you do your own washing using their pressure washers, and I guess that seems like maybe it is better/more water efficient than just doing it at home. But I don't know.
Rocket is not "touchless" but they do have very nice microfiber brushes ( no harsh nylon bristles). For $39 a month for unlimited washes, it just works for me. Heck, the last step even does a nice job of applying tire dressing to the low profile 21" tires.

How do you like the ceramic coating?
I'm very happy with the Avalon King ceramic. It took about four hours to do a clay bar, Isopropyl alcohol wipe down, and applying a coat. I followed up a day later with a second coat over everything (paint, glass, rims). It was only $75 in materials and the results are actually better than my wife's Audi Q5 where a detail shop charged $1100 for a coating.

I'm very happy with the Avalon King ceramic. It took about four hours to do a clay bar, Isopropyl alcohol wipe down, and applying a coat. I followed up a day later with a second coat over everything (paint, glass, rims). It was only $75 in materials and the results are actually better than my wife's Audi Q5 where a detail shop charged $1100 for a coating.
I will have to try it. Thanks!

Reactions: csrpenfab
the place down in SLC I am using for ppl uses SunTek, which I have looked up and people seem to like. Just FYI.

Here is a search on the installer (Tint Action) and a litany of satisfied customers popping up via the search. So feeling good about it going in. Will report back. Search results
I got the SunTek done in Boise... The product is good, no issues there. The real results are dependent on the installer, as with a lot of things. I'm mostly happy.
For what it's worth, I have the SunTek Reaction stuff, and while the hydrophobic properties are there and ok, I noticed a huge difference when I did the rest of the car with a graphene coating. The graphene was substantially better. So I ended up washing the car and the PPF really well and did a couple if IPA wipe downs and then applied the graphene coating on top of the PPF and it is crazy how the water flies off now. Super easy to do coatings on top of PPF, don't pay extra for that.

the place down in SLC I am using for ppl uses SunTek, which I have looked up and people seem to like. Just FYI.

Here is a search on the installer (Tint Action) and a litany of satisfied customers popping up via the search. So feeling good about it going in. Will report back. Search results
I picked up the car this afternoon and it looks really great! I would like to get the doors done as well but they didn’t have time to get to that today. I will probably follow up at a subsequent time. Very happy with this installer so far.
966BBEF5-E186-4576-9755-BC235CB26AA2.jpeg
353CE468-D97A-436A-84CC-31C662EF0368.jpeg
8ED83148-E45B-4F55-BF33-5CA3B71170A4.jpeg
A068B282-EBE7-440B-A24C-3F82B479D9A8.jpeg

Looks great! How long did it take them...all day or left it overnight?
I dropped it off the night before and they took the car in, and even let it charge overnight because I had gotten pretty low. And I forgot to bring one of the valet cards also. So they just got the car all set up where they were going to do the work, and we left a door and the frunk open, (and I was glad it was plugged in as I did not know what that would do to my low remaining charge) and then that was that for Friday night. Then I picked it up at 5 o’clock on Saturday. I had 164 miles (up from 60) the next day, which was nice. I went to the Costco in SLC on my way back out of town (home now) and charged at the Supercharger across the street to get ready for the road trip. Whole thing was pretty smooth.

The only thing is I am a bit remote from the installer should there be any issues. Hoping not. But I will have regular business (ski and PSIA-Intermountain Division) down in SLC so it should work out regardless.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I have blacked out my badges (just a sticker). Reducing or eliminating the chrome is just nice.
they had blacked out badges there too. But you are supposed to wait a week before applying to the Sun Tek PPF. Richard there showed me the badge, and I held it to the hood, and I am still thinking I just like nothing there.

Did you black out the rear one too? I might consider doing that. Or just removing it.

Reactions: DrGriz
Additional road trip report, Hailey to SLC and back.

Bottom line, no worries. Starting at 100% from home, I did as ABRP suggested and hit the Burley Supercharger on the way down, for just enough time to hop into the store across the road after getting something for road lunch, then the Tremonton one for just a minute. Both had open spots on that Thursday morning.

On the way back, I started with 80% after Costco in SLC, then hit Tremonton for a short while, and Burley for a short while again.

In subsequent trips, on the way there, I may see if I can find the next fast Supercharger down the road toward SLC. I had to wait just for a minute at the Tremonton one on the way home, and I think @DrGriz has said that can happen there.

Seems like though Tesla is way ahead on charging infrastructure, that more charging is already being needed to be developed. Didn't really impact me much on this trip, but I could see how it could.

And the ride, comfort, driving, all that experience, was awesome. I have confirmed that I will be a charge in smaller amounts but more often guy, such as ABRP and others seem to recommend, and so that I can drive the speeds I want, romp on it when I want, and use all the AC and etc. I want. And if it takes me just a little extra time, that will be ok. I would rather go that way than worry about getting max range at all times.

they had blacked out badges there too. But you are supposed to wait a week before applying to the Sun Tek PPF. Richard there showed me the badge, and I held it to the hood, and I am still thinking I just like nothing there.

Did you black out the rear one too? I might consider doing that. Or just removing it.
Yes, blacked out the rear T and the Dual Motor badges.

Additional road trip report, Hailey to SLC and back.

Bottom line, no worries. Starting at 100% from home, I did as ABRP suggested and hit the Burley Supercharger on the way down, for just enough time to hop into the store across the road after getting something for road lunch, then the Tremonton one for just a minute. Both had open spots on that Thursday morning.

On the way back, I started with 80% after Costco in SLC, then hit Tremonton for a short while, and Burley for a short while again.

In subsequent trips, on the way there, I may see if I can find the next fast Supercharger down the road toward SLC. I had to wait just for a minute at the Tremonton one on the way home, and I think @DrGriz has said that can happen there.

Seems like though Tesla is way ahead on charging infrastructure, that more charging is already being needed to be developed. Didn't really impact me much on this trip, but I could see how it could.

And the ride, comfort, driving, all that experience, was awesome. I have confirmed that I will be a charge in smaller amounts but more often guy, such as ABRP and others seem to recommend, and so that I can drive the speeds I want, romp on it when I want, and use all the AC and etc. I want. And if it takes me just a little extra time, that will be ok. I would rather go that way than worry about getting max range at all times.
Looks like the next supercharger to SLC from Tremonton is in SLC.

Yes, the Supercharger network (outside of CA and maybe other established centers) is not ready for the explosive growth in Tesla sales. They are expanding, but the 150 kW superchargers we mostly have in flyover country are not going to be adequate in a year or two.

Yes, blacked out the rear T and the Dual Motor badges.
Was it a sticker that went on the badges, or is it a new adhesive applied badge? The front one the guy showed me was a new badge.

And yeah, I thought there might be some sort of supercharging in Ogden or something, but I see only destination charging between Tremonton and SLC now that I look. And the SLC supercharging is nearing maxed out too, based on what I saw on a Saturday. Hoping they get on it in building more.

Was it a sticker that went on the badges, or is it a new adhesive applied badge? The front one the guy showed me was a new badge.

And yeah, I thought there might be some sort of supercharging in Ogden or something, but I see only destination charging between Tremonton and SLC now that I look. And the SLC supercharging is nearing maxed out too, based on what I saw on a Saturday. Hoping they get on it in building more.
I just used stickers, which I also used inside on the steering wheel. I would probably prefer the new badge, but that requires a template, etc., and more time than I want to invest right now.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Pretty Excited!

Got the schedule text today - Picking up this Saturday in SLC at 2 pm.

Then a nice 3 hour drive back home to Idaho Falls.

OD May 18, 2022 - Eastern Idaho
MYP MSM/Black, No FSD, No Tow
EDD #1 05/20/22 - July 31st to September 11th
EDD #2 06/20/22 - August 5th to September 9th
EDD #3 07/23/22 - August 13th to September 10th
EDD #4 08/05/22 - August 13th to August 27th
VIN 08/13/22 - August 17th to 21st
08/16/22 - Delivery Scheduled August 20th

That's awesome that your installer knew what they were doing. That front bumper with the air intakes can be a pain, that is one spot where I had issues that needed to be redone. They also kinda winged it on the rocker panels with the stock PPF on the rear doors, so they re-did that as well. Overall I'm happy,

Did they wrap the edges or is there a mm or two gap on the panels? On mine they tried to wrap the first time and then went the easier route the second time. I like that my hood is wrapped.