Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, mine went in the wrong direction again this morning. From July 6 - Aug 21 to July 19 - Aug 29. At least they know I'm still here. I ordered Dec 6th, and I see that some Dec. orders get a delay and then a big jump forward. Let's hope I get lucky. I hadn't had ANY movement for about 5 weeks. Hoping for SOME summer driving. Sun Valley Law had a big jump and I am about 3 1/2 weeks behind his OD. Can you tell I am a little manic ? I hope I'm not the only one who checks his status daily (or hourly) 😬

This may be unpopular with most, but I have gone back and forth and I believe I am going to forego the PPF treatment. First of all, XPEL is the company to go with but they are getting extremely expensive. My last car I had full PPF for the most part. I noticed a couple of things over time. First, many rock chips still put divots in the PPF and were very noticeable. It is not a force field like they want you to believe. Also over time the edges have a tendency to peel up ever so slightly and take on a gray hue. I found myself so worried about getting a rock chip or a blemish it took much of the enjoyment out of driving my car. My wife said I obsessed with keeping it pristine instead of enjoying it day in and day out. In most respects she was right.

Also I could put double layers of PPF over the entire car and still the biggest danger to its appearance would not be protected ...the dreaded door ding. I just feel like spending several thousand to have PPF protection can be spoiled by one single door ding in a parking lot. You can only park a mile away from your desired location for so long and then eventually you have to take on some risk.

I really want to enjoy this car and feel relaxed when I drive it. Believe me, I am will still be a little obsessed about keeping it looking new, but hopefully I am past the point of being on edge every time I drive or park my car. So...I will pass on the full PPF for this car. Hopefully it is the first step to managing my OCD when it comes to owning and enjoying a new car.

Thoughts??

This may be unpopular with most, but I have gone back and forth and I believe I am going to forego the PPF treatment. First of all, XPEL is the company to go with but they are getting extremely expensive. My last car I had full PPF for the most part. I noticed a couple of things over time. First, many rock chips still put divots in the PPF and were very noticeable. It is not a force field like they want you to believe. Also over time the edges have a tendency to peel up ever so slightly and take on a gray hue. I found myself so worried about getting a rock chip or a blemish it took much of the enjoyment out of driving my car. My wife said I obsessed with keeping it pristine instead of enjoying it day in and day out. In most respects she was right.

Also I could put double layers of PPF over the entire car and still the biggest danger to its appearance would not be protected ...the dreaded door ding. I just feel like spending several thousand to have PPF protection can be spoiled by one single door ding in a parking lot. You can only park a mile away from your desired location for so long and then eventually you have to take on some risk.

I really want to enjoy this car and feel relaxed when I drive it. Believe me, I am will still be a little obsessed about keeping it looking new, but hopefully I am past the point of being on edge every time I drive or park my car. So...I will pass on the full PPF for this car. Hopefully it is the first step to managing my OCD when it comes to owning and enjoying a new car.

Thoughts??
I’m in your camp! The only PPF on my MYP is what Tesla provided for the rear lower quarters. I’ve been OCD about many cars in the past, but not this time. Upon delivery, I did a clay bar and 2 coats of Avalon King ceramic over the entire car and wheels. I take it through Rocket car wash (microfiber brushes) weekly. In the end, it’s my daily driver and I can live with a few battle scars. I do park carefully and I keep it clean.

4CD7D3AF-716A-4CFD-A5C2-9533A48F89E3.jpeg

Thoughts??
9000 miles on the odo. I have driven across the country and back and I live on a mile long dirt and gravel road which we go up and down at least twice a day. No paint chips that I can find anywhere. But where our friend's dog jumped up on the door there are some faint scratches...

Thoughts??
Hey Coach - I totally agree. I have obsessed back in the day over my Model S, full wrap, black vinyl wrap the chrome, ceramic coating, badge painting etc. etc. The Model S was not the last car I obsessed over but many cars and trucks since I too am over it.

The only thing I would ever do on a car again is get rid of the chrome. I am not a fan and I can't tell you how excited I was to see Tesla start deleting the chrome and go with black trim. Soooooo much better in my opinion.

I too was told the same thing from my wife, stop stressing and enjoy the car. She did joke that there was one benefit of my OCD'ness, filling in her exercise rings on her Apple Watch, as I would park a good distance away from everyone.

Don't get me wrong, she will still continue to fill her exercise rings on her watch cause I still can't get myself to park near anyone else.

welcome @jstepy, though given your tenure maybe it's more appropriate to say "welcome back".

I got the CCS1 adapter from Harimo's proxy service, received it last week and did a quick test down at the EA charger here in Boise, works well and is official Telsa hardware.

As for accessories/mods, I think I posted just about everything I have earlier in this thread somewhere but to recap:

Hello SirSycho, could you elaborate more on what this module does? What did Tesla remove from the Y due to the chip shortages?

What exactly can you do with this module installed... usb data transmission?

Totally get what you all are saying. I have never PPF’d a car before. I just think I would like to do at least that very front blunt part, and then ceramic over it to help with bug removal. And probably the mirrors. I would like to cut it off at the first available seam. Maybe not even the hood. But still deciding.

Part of it is that I have never, ever in my life purchased a new car. Newest car I ever bought was a year or two old, and most much older than that. 8-10 years at least. Alfa’s not included as they were old but in a different category. The pain’t was perfect on my Dodge pickup I bought used, but did not take long for it to get dinged up some. So, thinking I will try the clear bra thing this time. Even though it is crazy expensive. But on a 60k plus car, . . .

Reactions: jstepy
Cross post from the November order date thread.

Well ok! Got a text from Meagan, the SA who helped me in SLC, saying to schedule my pick up in Boise, and giving me a link!

Unfortunately, (and I am not pissed or stressed about this, just amused) there are no appointments available to schedule, and the site directed me to call an 888 number. Called that number and talked to a nice guy. He said Boise was closed today (as they should be) and that the Boise team would reach out in the morning to schedule, and if I had not heard by noon tomorrow to call again. He offered to go talk to some management someone to see if they could open up the reservations system, but I said don't bother anyone on Memorial Day, and that I was sure Boise would get me handled tomorrow, and that I was just following the instructions given. We also went over my purchase and to do list and confirmed it was all ready, what forms of payment I could bring for my payment, etc.

Will reach out to the XPEL folks tomorrow and see if I can get in there too while I am over there, and coordinate the trip. :)

Reactions: DrGriz
Cross post from the November order date thread.

Well ok! Got a text from Meagan, the SA who helped me in SLC, saying to schedule my pick up in Boise, and giving me a link!

Unfortunately, (and I am not pissed or stressed about this, just amused) there are no appointments available to schedule, and the site directed me to call an 888 number. Called that number and talked to a nice guy. He said Boise was closed today (as they should be) and that the Boise team would reach out in the morning to schedule, and if I had not heard by noon tomorrow to call again. He offered to go talk to some management someone to see if they could open up the reservations system, but I said don't bother anyone on Memorial Day, and that I was sure Boise would get me handled tomorrow, and that I was just following the instructions given. We also went over my purchase and to do list and confirmed it was all ready, what forms of payment I could bring for my payment, etc.

Will reach out to the XPEL folks tomorrow and see if I can get in there too while I am over there, and coordinate the trip. :)
Hey Sunvalley so were you originally planning on picking up in SLC and they were too busy?

Obviously for me SLC is an hour closer then Boise but if people are having better experiences with Boise I’d go the extra hour.

No, I just ordered when I was down in SLC for something else, and did a test drive, assisted by Meagan. Ordered later that night sitting outside of Squatter's waiting for a table. On my phone. Seemed so strange to order a car that way. But the plan was always for me to pick up in Boise, which is significantly closer for me, in Hailey. Other than that afternoon/evening I did the test drive, and follow up with Meagan, I have had no dealings with either locations to speak of, other than dropping by SLC a couple months ago when I was down there just to look again. But all the cars were gone for end of that quarter.

I have heard Boise is fine. But don't know anything bad about SLC either.

Reactions: jstepy
No, I just ordered when I was down in SLC for something else, and did a test drive, assisted by Meagan. Ordered later that night sitting outside of Squatter's waiting for a table. On my phone. Seemed so strange to order a car that way. But the plan was always for me to pick up in Boise, which is significantly closer for me, in Hailey. Other than that afternoon/evening I did the test drive, and follow up with Meagan, I have had no dealings with either locations to speak of, other than dropping by SLC a couple months ago when I was down there just to look again. But all the cars were gone for end of that quarter.

I have heard Boise is fine. But don't know anything bad about SLC either.
I think it is amazing that Meagan is actually messaging you at this stage. That says a lot for SLC.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
PS, I am likely to be a pain this week, as I am excited, and will probably almost journal the process here, including anything I buy for the car, etc. I am sorry that some others have similar or even earlier order dates and don't have the progress I have at the moment in getting their cars.
Really happy for you. You will have to let us know how the delivery experience goes as I will pick up in Boise as well. You are lucky to have a SA that actually communicates with you. I have never been able to speak with mine. Just an occasional short text about a week after I text her saying something like "Tesla moves their dates according to inventory and order dates, as well as the particular cars they are building at the time." Gee - thanks 🤷🏼

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Hey guys need some advice... so being here in Eastern Idaho I was definitely planning on switching out the wheels. 19's most likely but honestly kind of digging the 18's. For some reason I like the look of more rubber on the Y, being a more crossover/SUV look. That being said T-Sportline is having their Memorial Day sale right now but I was kind of figuring waiting till the 4th of July, assuming they would have another sale and I would be able to gauge if my EDD, Originally July 31 to Sept 11, changes at all.

But then I start worrying about supply chain issue, price increases and maybe it's better just to order now.

What do you guys think of 18 vs 19?

Should I order now or hold onto my money for at least another month to see if the EDD changes?

Thanks