Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you get all-season tires as well? (I apologize if you have already addressed this)
My MYLR did indeed come with all-season tires. Continental ProContact RX on all 4 corners. They don't rate the greatest for treadwear but that aligns with pretty much every new car I've ever purchased. I guess we'll see how these fare after the first year.

Oh and the soonest the PPF guys could get me in is early February, so I just have to be careful til then.

My MYLR did indeed come with all-season tires. Continental ProContact RX on all 4 corners. They don't rate the greatest for treadwear but that aligns with pretty much every new car I've ever purchased. I guess we'll see how these fare after the first year.

Oh and the soonest the PPF guys could get me in is early February, so I just have to be careful til then.
Well....lets here your early read on the car?? Likes, dislikes, surprises etc :cool: ???

Well....lets here your early read on the car?? Likes, dislikes, surprises etc :cool: ???
Love the car. I actually had my first Tesla Mobile Service experience today, they came to install my HomeLink. That was an awesome experience btw, the guy was super knowledgeable and helpful, wanted me to stick around and watch him tear apart the frunk. He asked if I had any questions or other issues I wanted him to address. I told him that my frunk was IMPOSSIBLY difficult to close. I think most Tesla people thing the newbs are just being dramatic but he tried to demonstrate the technique and was like "Whoa! That is pretty bad." (bad meaning difficult)... He spent probably 30 minutes adjusting the latch, rubber hood bumpers and the bumper itself to ensure the gaps were still good. He was pickier than I would have been. Frunk is now usable.

HomeLink works really well in my situation. It's not perfect but that is mostly due to HomeLink (doesn't know if the door is already open or closed), but it opens when I get to my driveway and closes right after the car clears the garage.

Not really a dislike but the white interior is SUPER bright, make sure you have your sunglasses on sunny days. I made an appointment to get the windows tinted while I was driving around today, and had forgotten my sunglasses.

Car is fast enough for me, I was really considering the Acceleration Boost upgrade but it's quick, certainly quicker than just about any ICE vehicle on the road.

I'm still on the fence with regard to Tesla Vision and AutoPilot (I didn't get FSD), I've had a couple of phantom breaking events at night, even on a road with a median. The auto-brights at night have also flashed people a few times, I don't think I'm going to use AP at night, at least not in town.

I was hoping to play with the Light Show feature, it's the number one thing my 12 year old son wants to see, but V11 software isn't installed and I've been told by 3 different Tesla employees that it can take "a couple weeks" from one, and "a month or two" from another. When the Mobile Service tech was out today, he said he'd try to remember to check my VIN when he got back to the office and see if he could help out there. He has to come back out anyway when my scuffed door card replacement shows up, so hopefully he remembers.

Lastly, something I need to check into a bit more; when I was getting on the freeway today, in a spirited manner, I noticed some vibration coming through the steering wheel. It didn't last long and didn't appear to be a particular speed (tire balance) issue. Something I may bring up to the service guy when he's here next...

oh since it just came to mind, my EV before this one was a '17 Chevy Bolt, which was a hoot to drive. It was kinda like a hooligan sleeper car. Nobody expects the tiny domestic 4-door hatchback to be that quick. One thing I really really miss from that car was the regen paddle, which allowed you to boost regen in one-pedal driving, meaning the conditions requiring me to use the brake pedal were few and far between. I miss that paddle... oh and CarPlay, I miss that too.

Love the car. I actually had my first Tesla Mobile Service experience today, they came to install my HomeLink. That was an awesome experience btw, the guy was super knowledgeable and helpful, wanted me to stick around and watch him tear apart the frunk. He asked if I had any questions or other issues I wanted him to address. I told him that my frunk was IMPOSSIBLY difficult to close. I think most Tesla people thing the newbs are just being dramatic but he tried to demonstrate the technique and was like "Whoa! That is pretty bad." (bad meaning difficult)... He spent probably 30 minutes adjusting the latch, rubber hood bumpers and the bumper itself to ensure the gaps were still good. He was pickier than I would have been. Frunk is now usable.

HomeLink works really well in my situation. It's not perfect but that is mostly due to HomeLink (doesn't know if the door is already open or closed), but it opens when I get to my driveway and closes right after the car clears the garage.

Not really a dislike but the white interior is SUPER bright, make sure you have your sunglasses on sunny days. I made an appointment to get the windows tinted while I was driving around today, and had forgotten my sunglasses.

Car is fast enough for me, I was really considering the Acceleration Boost upgrade but it's quick, certainly quicker than just about any ICE vehicle on the road.

I'm still on the fence with regard to Tesla Vision and AutoPilot (I didn't get FSD), I've had a couple of phantom breaking events at night, even on a road with a median. The auto-brights at night have also flashed people a few times, I don't think I'm going to use AP at night, at least not in town.

I was hoping to play with the Light Show feature, it's the number one thing my 12 year old son wants to see, but V11 software isn't installed and I've been told by 3 different Tesla employees that it can take "a couple weeks" from one, and "a month or two" from another. When the Mobile Service tech was out today, he said he'd try to remember to check my VIN when he got back to the office and see if he could help out there. He has to come back out anyway when my scuffed door card replacement shows up, so hopefully he remembers.

Lastly, something I need to check into a bit more; when I was getting on the freeway today, in a spirited manner, I noticed some vibration coming through the steering wheel. It didn't last long and didn't appear to be a particular speed (tire balance) issue. Something I may bring up to the service guy when he's here next...

oh since it just came to mind, my EV before this one was a '17 Chevy Bolt, which was a hoot to drive. It was kinda like a hooligan sleeper car. Nobody expects the tiny domestic 4-door hatchback to be that quick. One thing I really really miss from that car was the regen paddle, which allowed you to boost regen in one-pedal driving, meaning the conditions requiring me to use the brake pedal were few and far between. I miss that paddle... oh and CarPlay, I miss that too.
Great update! Surprised the software wasn't already updated to the most recent with a new car but I guess they all have to go thru the software procedure. I'm on the fence with homelink. Isn't it kind of pricey? Wish they had some remote link button you program to open your garage door like most cars do. I sure don't want to have the visor clip in the minimal Tesla interior. May just have to hide it in the console. Good to hear about the acceleration. I too, wondered about buying the acceleration boost.

Aren't you able to one pedal drive with this MY most of the time? It seemed pretty responsive when I drove a friend's Y, but I really had nothing to compare it with. Let us know about your "real world" range after you get some miles on it. Congrats again...you have the rest of the group a little jealous :cool:

Disappointed in big product roadmap call today. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.

I guess the best roadmap...is no roadmap :-(

Reactions: SirSycho
Agreed, disappointing about the lack of detail and/or transparency. After my ordering experience I question whether or not they even have a fully fleshed out plan. Oh well, on the plus side, demand is still high which means resale should be good for a while (hopefully).

Update on my ride: I got pushed v11 today, which I'm going to attribute to my helpful Mobile Service Ranger. It is certainly different, but I'd rather not get used to v10.2 and be disappointed when it finally got the update.

Disappointed in big product roadmap call today. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.

I guess the best roadmap...is no roadmap :-(
I agree. There was a comment about production model Ys with 4680s by the end of the first quarter, but by no means did they say that that would be all or even most. So, some? A few?

What they said for sure was no Cybertruck or $25 K vehicles this year.

Guys, that was an earnings call. The focus was financials. Product roadmaps are usually held during their own presentations. Like the battery or AI day. They also go into more detail during the annual investor meetings.
That's true. Between Austin and 4680s, there is a lot of interest, and people were really hoping for a little clarity. It's not like either one of those won't affect the bottom line, bigly.

Guys, that was an earnings call. The focus was financials. Product roadmaps are usually held during their own presentations. Like the battery or AI day. They also go into more detail during the annual investor meetings.
While this is true, their own presentations are not exactly the picture of transparency. On the earnings calls they are held to a higher standard, which is why I think people hope for more concrete information there.

I get it, however if the 4680 MY versions come out with completely superior specs to the 2170 models i.e. - range, acceleration, speed, weight, lower charging times etc. there will be mutiny. I just get tired of the mystery and lack of transparency throughout the entire ordering process. Tesla is obviously the king of innovation and technology, however, their customer service and communication leave a lot to be desired.

I get it, however if the 4680 MY versions come out with completely superior specs to the 2170 models i.e. - range, acceleration, speed, weight, lower charging times etc. there will be mutiny. I just get tired of the mystery and lack of transparency throughout the entire ordering process. Tesla is obviously the king of innovation and technology, however, their customer service and communication leave a lot to be desired.
It's hard. A year ago, when you got your car in 6 weeks or less, you didn't see these changes nearly so much as you do now with a 6 month wait.

There is so much going on with supply lines, chips, shipping, etc, I don't think they actually know what they are going to do too far ahead of actually doing it. I suppose they could just wait and start on July 1, but that's not how they work. When everything is in place to make a change, they pull the trigger.

It's hard. A year ago, when you got your car in 6 weeks or less, you didn't see these changes nearly so much as you do now with a 6 month wait.

There is so much going on with supply lines, chips, shipping, etc, I don't think they actually know what they are going to do too far ahead of actually doing it. I suppose they could just wait and start on July 1, but that's not how they work. When everything is in place to make a change, they pull the trigger.
I just don't see how they can rationally sell two completely different models of the same car depending on your zip code 🤷🏼

I hear some windows for folks are starting to narrow. Is that right for you, @DrGriz ?

I am still holding in the April 11 - May 9 range, and have been a week or two now. I like that range of dates and hope they have a few more things figured out, and additional clarity for us on some things, by then. @DrGriz , will be continuing to watch your experience.

I am not trading anything in, nor need to sell anything, but will want to figure out some financing probably, if it is not too expensive, rather than pay all cash. Probably either through USAA or that online credit union people have been using.

And I guess I will start looking at my floor and rear storage area/back of rear seats mats, and any other such accessories I want. A set of jack pucks maybe? Different cord? I have an electrician scheduled to come in a couple weeks to get us set up with charging outlets, and also to look forward to the ADU we may put up above our garage, and any electrical panel upgrades for that. Will set it up for two charging outlets, and going with the generic dryer outlet rather than a special Tesla unit, as it will be fast enough for us, and more versatile later on as the market fills out. Will want one cord long enough to make it across one stall to the other if that exists, and may hang it with hooks above the nearer car, so it can be hanging there ready for the second car, when/if we get one, when you get out so you don’t have to string the cord around the the other car every time. The electrician thought they came in 20 footers, and thinking that should do.

Any of you Boise area folks pick a place to do the PPF film on all or part of your car yet? Who is good if anyone knows? Thinking I will for sure do that for the front end and hood anyway. Maybe the front end back to the front doors at least.

The other thing I will want to figure out is my winter set of tires/wheels. Was thinking either another set of the Genesis size wheels, or even a smaller diameter set for the snow tires. Anyone make a decision on that yet or have any experience there?

Any other things you all have looked into in terms of accessories, etc.? Anything else to think about? I guess I have to get one of those fronts plate holders. And maybe a cap for my hitch if it doesn’t already have one.

Oh, I DO have one other thing. Will be looking into mattress options for camping in the car. There were a couple good vids on that I found, and seems like there are a couple options. I probably won’t want to do air mattresses as I sleep like crap on those. Some sort of foam, though that takes up room. But camping season will be coming when I get the car, and I may has well have an option when I don’t need to take the whole truck and slide in pickup camper. Though I will certainly want to be careful regarding range way out in the middle of the south central Idaho mountains. Will look for options for at least RV camping where I can find an RV outlet.