Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think @Coachrich is probably right on track. MYLRs are high in demand compared to MYPs, and given that demand and supply chain issues, I'm not surprised. Unfortunately.
Ya...I think Tesla pushes the higher revenue models through first. Especially near the end of the quarter. In addition I ordered My MYLR in August of last year and had on hold until Dec. So my price was locked in at about 10k less than ordering today. Unfortunately, probably all things working against me at this point .

Ya...I think Tesla pushes the higher revenue models through first. Especially near the end of the quarter. In addition I ordered My MYLR in August of last year and had on hold until Dec. So my price was locked in at about 10k less than ordering today. Unfortunately, probably all things working against me at this point .
There's no doubt they preference the MYP over MYLR. I don't know what the ratio is, but I'll bet there are far fewer MYPs on order compared to MYLRs. Probably means less supply chain issues as well for certain things like wheels and brakes, etc.

You'll be happy when it comes. At least you won't be scrambling for winter tires the day you get it, like I was!

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
Hey, I had a nearing last minute thought. I normally like to use either the Idaho Ski or Mountain Bike plates. Thinking MTB on this one. Do I need to do anything special with Tesla for the registration if that is what I want to do?

I also put a text into the SA Boise team to ask but figured maybe one of you had one of the special plates too.

Hey, I had a nearing last minute thought. I normally like to use either the Idaho Ski or Mountain Bike plates. Thinking MTB on this one. Do I need to do anything special with Tesla for the registration if that is what I want to do?

I also put a text into the SA Boise team to ask but figured maybe one of you had one of the special plates too.
We have special plates (bluebird) and a chosen license plate number. But we just transferred it from our Subaru, so it wasn't new. No Tesla special things occurred, other than the standard EV registration charge for Idaho.

We have special plates (bluebird) and a chosen license plate number. But we just transferred it from our Subaru, so it wasn't new. No Tesla special things occurred, other than the standard EV registration charge for Idaho.
Mine will be a new plate, as I don't have one to transfer. It is funny, the questions I come up with when it is the first new car I have ever purchased in all these years! Never, ever, not had a used car. LOL!

Liberty at Tesla Team Boise got back to me and said I would just get my plates then I finish registration at my County building.

Last edited:
Mine will be a new plate, as I don't have one to transfer. It is funny, the questions I come up with when it is the first new car I have ever purchased in all these years! Never, ever, not had a used car. LOL!

Liberty at Tesla Team Boise got back to me and said I would just get my plates then I finish registration at my County building.
Plates stay with the person in Idaho. If it’s a new vehicle from a dealership you currently get the temporary registration taped to your rear window and you take the pink bill of sale to your county DMV. I’ve also been able to do it online and save a trip to the DMV. They just ask for certain info found on the pink slip.

I never did specialty plates online though. So to be safe you can just go in person and order your MTB plates. You’ll pay the speciality fee every year as well as the foundation that supports that MTB cause.

Plates stay with the person in Idaho. If it’s a new vehicle from a dealership you currently get the temporary registration taped to your rear window and you take the pink bill of sale to your county DMV. I’ve also been able to do it online and save a trip to the DMV. They just ask for certain info found on the pink slip.

I never did specialty plates online though. So to be safe you can just go in person and order your MTB plates. You’ll pay the speciality fee every year as well as the foundation that supports that MTB cause.
Yep, I know the plates go with the person part. I just won't be trading anything in or selling anything. And yeah, our little DMV in Hailey is the easiest DMV experience I have ever had so no reason not to just go in and do it. With used cars I have purchased, they have always come out and looked at the VIN when we completed registration, and then gave me temporaries until the plates came. I like the MTB plate as I think the money seems to go more where I want it as opposed to the ski one. I love single track mountain bike trails. I just never bought a new car before so wasn't sure if registration worked differently.

Last edited:
Hello SirSycho, could you elaborate more on what this module does? What did Tesla remove from the Y due to the chip shortages?

What exactly can you do with this module installed... usb data transmission?
Hey @jstepy... Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town for the past week+. Back in November (I think) Tesla released a communication that new 3/Y center console USB, from that point going forward, would be power-only. So no data transmission. I'm fairly certain this was related to supply chain issues, or perhaps just opportunities for additional margin (I can't imagine USB hub chips are that hard to come by). Anyway, when they made that change they didn't change the wiring harnesses, so the data plug is still in that area, just taped up and out of the way. So it's is literally plug and play, remove the old module, insert the new one and plug in the data cable (micro-USB), and then you can put a USB key with MP3s or FLAC files in the center console.

Prior to getting this module, I had partitioned my Tesla key and even bought a new drive which I partitioned but it was a pain to copy new music to it. If I didn't do it right away and then put the drive back into the car, I didn't have Sentry or the Recording capabilities. I like that the glovebox USB drive is dedicated to the TeslaCam function again.

Congrats to @Sunvalleylaw on your new car.

Hey @jstepy... Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town for the past week+. Back in November (I think) Tesla released a communication that new 3/Y center console USB, from that point going forward, would be power-only. So no data transmission. I'm fairly certain this was related to supply chain issues, or perhaps just opportunities for additional margin (I can't imagine USB hub chips are that hard to come by). Anyway, when they made that change they didn't change the wiring harnesses, so the data plug is still in that area, just taped up and out of the way. So it's is literally plug and play, remove the old module, insert the new one and plug in the data cable (micro-USB), and then you can put a USB key with MP3s or FLAC files in the center console.

Prior to getting this module, I had partitioned my Tesla key and even bought a new drive which I partitioned but it was a pain to copy new music to it. If I didn't do it right away and then put the drive back into the car, I didn't have Sentry or the Recording capabilities. I like that the glovebox USB drive is dedicated to the TeslaCam function again.

Ok, so the vehicle as is only allows data from the glove box USB port… and that’s where dash cam and sentry usb stick goes correct?

So without this third party option there is no way to have downloaded music play off of a usb stick unless you were to remove the dash cam stick and use an MP3 stick in the glove box?

You got around this by partitioning the stick into two drives but in the end that was too big a pain.

Is that all correct?

I've seen a lot of PPF talk recently... I went with the Suntek vs the XPEL and was primarily concerned with the leading edge but ended up getting the front "clip" (front bumper, hood, fenders to the doors, A-pillars, and mirrors) done as well as the rocker panels. They had to do the rear door rockers twice, the first time they just tried to peel up the factory PPF and layer the Suntek below it... it looked bad so they just removed the factory and custom cut to match the original protection along with the lower part of the doors.

A friend picked up a new EV6 on Saturday (Wind with Tech package) which I got to drive yesterday. Very nice car. I really like that "Glacier" color. He is probably doing to do XPEL on the same portion of his car. The reason I bring this up is to address two different things.
  1. PPF makes washing the front part of the car SUPER easy, bugs don't stick as much and the PPF is super hydrophobic.
  2. Tesla paint is really SOFT and I wonder if I should have PPF'd the full doors as I now have a paint chip from a door ding (no dent, just a chunk of paint missing).
For #2 above, I have the sentry video of the ding and it really doesn't look like it should have resulted in the damage done but I was quite disappointed when it happened. I'll see if I can post that here sometime. Anyway, I don't think any other major car manufacturer's paint would have suffered the same damage from a minor ding.

Ok, so the vehicle as is only allows data from the glove box USB port… and that’s where dash cam and sentry usb stick goes correct?
Correct, glove box USB is the only data port, which is the where the Tesla supplied USB stick goes.

So without this third party option there is no way to have downloaded music play off of a usb stick unless you were to remove the dash cam stick and use an MP3 stick in the glove box?
This is one option, you lose the dash cam/sentry functionality though.

You got around this by partitioning the stick into two drives but in the end that was too big a pain.
Correct, if your music collection is static you could get away with this method but you may want to replace the drive with a larger one.

Ok, I will need to figure out what that means for me with my Samsung I plan to partition and use for music and camera stuff. Plenty big enough drive, 2T, but just will need to know where to stow it. I guess the glove box it is unless I do that mod. That is a really disappointing change that occurred after I ordered. Seems like a really cheap thing to have done. I probably will do the mod at some point. But just will get the car home first. Too busy this week, so PPF will have to wait a couple weeks. I won't have a ton of driving going on so hopefully that will be fine.

How’s PPF stand up to hail? Reason I ask just got home from Weekend in Boise and got caught up in gum ball sized hail storm. It was insane. Never been in anything like it before. Anyway my F350 hood has 16 nice little dents in it now and it’s less then a month old. 😭 I kept thinking what if I was in the Tesla with its soft paint and aluminum body 😬