Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finishing my final payment this afternoon, which I decided to do via the app, rather than go down to the bank and pull a certified check I have to keep track of on the way over from Hailey to Boise (not a huge deal, but still makes me nervous), and also save myself the time at the bank. Tomorrow noon!
Well, scrap that. I ended up getting a cashier's check. My relatively new US Bank account wasn't playing nice online, so didn't get it set up and connected with the Tesla app. So, will be taking care with the cashier's checking instead.

Reactions: jstepy and DrGriz
Well, scrap that. I ended up getting a cashier's check. My relatively new US Bank account wasn't playing nice online, so didn't get it set up and connected with the Tesla app. So, will be taking care with the cashier's checking instead.
I think it's better anyway. If something somehow goes south (very unlikely but you never know) it can take a long time for them to refund your money. Better you keep them drooling for your check.

How’s PPF stand up to hail? Reason I ask just got home from Weekend in Boise and got caught up in gum ball sized hail storm. It was insane. Never been in anything like it before. Anyway my F350 hood has 16 nice little dents in it now and it’s less then a month old. 😭 I kept thinking what if I was in the Tesla with its soft paint and aluminum body 😬
I imagine hail that size would do quite a number on the Tesla hood, regardless of PPF. Sorry to hear about your truck ☹️, that sucks.

So far things have gone well! I went point by point off an inspection thing I found online (Ryan Shaw had it linked to a video, and you could get an app. I preferred to print it out as I knew I would be excited, and wouldn't want to look at my phone and scroll, but would want to have a checklist on paper), for the most part. I forgot to bring a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. and found everything to be pretty darn good! Within spec it seems. One headlight was a little wonky on the upper corner, and the service tech fixed that right away. Liberty, and the trainee (Mark I think? I forgot his hame as I was pretty excited) were great walking me through things. Drive home from Boise to Hailey, after stopping over at Costco, the nearby supercharger, and Trader Joe's (Hey, when we WR Valley folks are in Rome, we have to hit the stores!). And it was so nice to hook right up to my Tidal account and have a bunch of my favorite music already at my fingertips! Will take a little while to get used to all the menus, and get the settings how I want them, but it all feels pretty intuitive to me and I am happy with the interface on the screen so far. Cheers!

E815E210-D1DC-4F59-A243-447E42206D0C.jpeg
BF892042-E92F-4BAD-BD75-A8E7B0DB25E0.jpeg
BEC3C3C1-1E07-4176-8E6C-4F3A7A0C6ACB.jpeg

21AFF059-ECF0-46DF-9E14-73D975A96F13.jpeg

Attachments

• 210051F7-745F-4845-9CFD-714BF72E2207.jpeg
    210051F7-745F-4845-9CFD-714BF72E2207.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Oh, and the autopilot is still configuring/calibrating, which Liberty told me was going to happen, as it had 4 miles on it, and needed some more time. I forgot to ask how long that took. So I called Tesla on the way home and the guy congratulated me seemingly sincerely, and said it should sort out by tomorrow, and if not to call back. He said when he looked the side cameras needed a little more experience under the belt before the system was set. Got it home, took my wife for a drive and let her try it out too, and hooked it up to wi-fi and to charge, and set a charge limit. Calibrating isn't done yet, will have a tech walk me through it tomorrow. He said it might have to get re-set too. That was the one annoyance driving home, as I didn't have cruise control, as the whole system was still working itself up to speed. Will get fixed tomorrow I presume, one way or another.

Reactions: DrGriz
So far things have gone well! I went point by point off an inspection thing I found online (Ryan Shaw had it linked to a video, and you could get an app. I preferred to print it out as I knew I would be excited, and wouldn't want to look at my phone and scroll, but would want to have a checklist on paper), for the most part. I forgot to bring a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. and found everything to be pretty darn good! Within spec it seems. One headlight was a little wonky on the upper corner, and the service tech fixed that right away. Liberty, and the trainee (Mark I think? I forgot his hame as I was pretty excited) were great walking me through things. Drive home from Boise to Hailey, after stopping over at Costco, the nearby supercharger, and Trader Joe's (Hey, when we WR Valley folks are in Rome, we have to hit the stores!). And it was so nice to hook right up to my Tidal account and have a bunch of my favorite music already at my fingertips! Will take a little while to get used to all the menus, and get the settings how I want them, but it all feels pretty intuitive to me and I am happy with the interface on the screen so far. Cheers!

View attachment 813984View attachment 813985View attachment 813986
View attachment 813988
Congratulations on your new baby!

• Love
Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
One other wrinkle. the 14-50 adapters, and adapter kits were out when I looked a few weeks back, and then I forgot. And now they are out too. I am charging just via the regular old plug for now, and am not really going anywhere for a few days, or could charge down in Hailey at Chargepoint if I had to. Is there an aftermarket 14-50 anyone is aware of that works well and is not crazy expensive? Can't seem to find a Gen 2 14-50 for sale that is not exorbitant. Kinda feel like this is Elon's continuing "f-u" to the people that had installed 14-50 plugs instead of wall chargers.

One other wrinkle. the 14-50 adapters, and adapter kits were out when I looked a few weeks back, and then I forgot. And now they are out too. I am charging just via the regular old plug for now, and am not really going anywhere for a few days, or could charge down in Hailey at Chargepoint if I had to. Is there an aftermarket 14-50 anyone is aware of that works well and is not crazy expensive? Can't seem to find a Gen 2 14-50 for sale that is not exorbitant. Kinda feel like this is Elon's continuing "f-u" to the people that had installed 14-50 plugs instead of wall chargers.
eveseadapters has one for $85, in stock. I would also have suggested you ask for one when you were at the Boise store today, because sometimes they have things not available on line. I remember seeing one sitting on Victory's desk...

eveseadapters has one for $85, in stock. I would also have suggested you ask for one when you were at the Boise store today, because sometimes they have things not available on line. I remember seeing one sitting on Victory's desk...
Yes, I forgot to ask. Will call tomorrow, as we are passing through Boise again on Friday, and have them hold one for me if they do.

Otherwise guess I will go with the EVES

Went for a quick night spin to check out the lights. At one point, the left fender camera said it was blocked. but that seemed to clear. Will watch that. Lights are so much better than my old cars. I also set the steering to "sport" tonight, and think I like it. I will go back and forth between that and standard to see what I notice, but I noticed nothing not good about it. Also, I was concerned about ride harshness based on what folks have said, but in driving from Boise to Hailey, and again tonight, no way! That was not my feeling at all. Suspension felt just fine to me!

Reactions: jstepy and DrGriz
Went for a quick night spin to check out the lights. At one point, the left fender camera said it was blocked. but that seemed to clear. Will watch that. Lights are so much better than my old cars. I also set the steering to "sport" tonight, and think I like it. I will go back and forth between that and standard to see what I notice, but I noticed nothing not good about it. Also, I was concerned about ride harshness based on what folks have said, but in driving from Boise to Hailey, and again tonight, no way! That was not my feeling at all. Suspension felt just fine to me!
In my experience, often that intermittent blocked camera is due to glare, like from sun setting or rising. I put the steering in sport right away and never looked back! And suspension, guess it depends on what you are used to. It compares favorably to my 1960s Land Cruisers ;). It's probably slightly better with an LR than a P, due to the tire sidewall.

In my experience, often that intermittent blocked camera is due to glare, like from sun setting or rising. I put the steering in sport right away and never looked back! And suspension, guess it depends on what you are used to. It compares favorably to my 1960s Land Cruisers ;). It's probably slightly better with an LR than a P, due to the tire sidewall.
I am used to two versions of old Alfa Romeo steering and suspensions. One from a ‘76 GTV and one from a ‘71 Berlina. Alfa made good sport sedan and coupe (and convertible) suspensions for the time. Running gear, gear box/tranny, and motors are what Alfa did well, along with design. The Y reminds me of a much more modern version of that in sport. Changing it to sport gave the wheel some of that responsive feel with some tension in the steering with a sense of road feel. Or so I think. But I go on and on. I just liked it. :D

Our suspension gets a test every day. I think I've mentioned we live on a gravel/road mix road a mile from the pavement. The only question is, how bad is the washboard/pothole situation on a given day? Nobody likes it, but the car doesn't stand out as much worse or better than any other vehicle we've driven on it over 3+ decades. Never owned any sort of a sports car to compare. It would get stuck in the winter for sure. I am having an MPP lift installed later this month. Will see if that changes things!

I bought a complete extra mobile kit with the 14-50. If you're willing to buy mine, I'll just order one to replace it when they're in stock. That said, as DrGriz said, they've had them in stock at the SC, that is where I got my extra. DM me.
Hey, yeah, if Tesla Boise doesn’t have one (I have a text in to Liberty now to check) I will take you up on that. Will DM once I know.

Hey, yeah, if Tesla Boise doesn’t have one (I have a text in to Liberty now to check) I will take you up on that. Will DM once I know.
Just checked, the one I have is still in the unopened box. I had bought a second setup to have in the car (I use the one that came with the car as my home EVSE. No need for the wall connector).

Unfortunately they dropped the prices a little over a month after I bought this setup.

Attachments

• 9B983C89-8981-4EBB-B07F-7E73668FFAC4.jpeg
    9B983C89-8981-4EBB-B07F-7E73668FFAC4.jpeg
    533.5 KB · Views: 36
Just checked, the one I have is still in the unopened box. I had bought a second setup to have in the car (I use the one that came with the car as my home EVSE. No need for the wall connector).

Unfortunately they dropped the prices a little over a month after I bought this setup.
The dealer has them in Boise, so will just grab mine there. Cheers!

Reactions: DrGriz and SirSycho
The dealer has them in Boise, so will just grab mine there. Cheers!
And I also found the 10-30 I have seen at some RV places is in stock from Tesla.com, so went ahead and got that one too. Just in case I am camped overnight somewhere. I have needed such an adapter for my camper before in travels between ID, MT, OR, and WA. So I would rather just have it in the rig just in case. But won't need to get the whole $245 kit of adapters. Just the normal plug everyone has, the 14-50, the CCS, and the probably rarely used 10-30. And It think I will be well covered. Thinking I will use one of the side storages in the rear for adapters and a second mobile charger cord I will get and just keep in the car once they are back in stock, rather than in the under storage in the rear.

I like to keep an emergency kit in any car I travel around in, so will also will need to get some tire repair kit I guess, along with the normal duffle of blankets, hat and gloves, old beater warm coat, and old backcountry skiing shovel for if stuck. Maybe emergency road markers of some kind. The normal road stuff plus weather exposure stuff. Thinking I should be able to get such an emergency kit into the rear under storage.

Now that the car is here and I am considering trips, I am really nerding out on kit to carry for just in case. All that "Be Prepared" Boy Scout stuff I was raised with.