TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

IDEA: Car share vehicles as battery buffer at QC locations

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by TEG, Dec 7, 2015.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Some QC locations (like Supercharging parking lots) have issues with enough power for all vehicles to charge at full rate at the same time.
    Some QC locations suffer high power demand charges for those times when many cars are charging at full rate at the same time.

On idea for a solution would be to make QC locations as parking lots for car share cars to be dropped off. You leave them sitting in the spot, plugged in, and the car will sit until it gets rented later. The benefit is that with V2G technology, you could make that car be a battery buffer for other "just passing through vehicles" to charge from instead of from the grid. Then the charging station can "trickle charge" the car share vehicle back to full when the lot is being less used.

This could solve multiple problems, including where to leave car share cars when not in use. Having dedicated spots just for that is wasteful since those cars are sitting doing nothing until they get rented. Having shared "buffering" / "charging" stalls seems like it could help with some of these concerns. Getting coordinated V2G working would need to get done first though.

Another benefit is the car share cars could be swapped on a road trip. You drop off your almost empty, and just hop in a full one and carry on your trip.

2. RichardL

RichardL Member

Seems like a good idea - however, there would have to be a way for a fully charged vehicle to be moved out of the way, to allow others to charge - if I left my vehicle and went on my way with a car-share vehicle - how does my car get unplugged when ready?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    It would be left there full. Those car share vehicles need to be left somewhere. I am saying it is best left plugged in and ready (in 'standby mode') to be used as an on-demand battery buffer when another vehicle pulls up next to it. Sure, it burns up a precious parking stall with charging station, but I think it would be worth it. Another benefit is you could do "pack to pack" dump at perhaps even quicker than Supercharger rates. You aren't limited by the grid anymore.

I suppose once all the self driving stuff is worked out, the car could unplug itself when full, move itself to the "storage lot", and then quickly drive back to the bay if the system decided it was a good time to put that battery pack back online again.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, when I say "car share", I mean any vehicle that isn't left at someones home garage when not in use.
    So, that could include things like future Uber self driving cars. Sort of taxi-on-demand type vehicles.
    If their "depot" was the supercharging lots, then they could be used as temporary battery buffers for other vehicles passing through.

I think Tesla plans to put powerwall type systems at many supercharging lots, but this could be a cheaper alternative. Also, the pack is portable, so the pack could be driven to a shop if it needed maintenance, upgrades, etc.