Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea for 100D owners to get super charging for life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
How much would a 100D owner pay to get free unlimited super charging for life (of the car)?

Let's say Tesla offered it as a $5,000 option.

If you took that $5,000 and put it in a dividend ETF and withdrew from that account to pay for SC access, you would be covered with money left over once the car was gone?

I think its a good idea to consider the value of this. I don't travel all the time as some do - but I have owned a Tesla for a little over 3 years and in that time I have 6 long distance trips involving Supercharging, covering 8400 miles. Doing that I have been quite efficient and averaged around 300Wh/mi - so I used something around 2520 kWh.

If I had to pay, I would have been allowed 1200kWh in that time, so I would have had to pay for 1300. In California that amounts to just over $500 in three years.

So to have paid $5000 for that privilege would have been far from cost effective for me! Obviously YMMV, but I don't see paying for Supercharging as a huge issue (although it is nice to be grandfathered in, in my archaic HW1 X :)

I think its a good idea to consider the value of this. I don't travel all the time as some do - but I have owned a Tesla for a little over 3 years and in that time I have 6 long distance trips involving Supercharging, covering 8400 miles. Doing that I have been quite efficient and averaged around 300Wh/mi - so I used something around 2520 kWh.

If I had to pay, I would have been allowed 1200kWh in that time, so I would have had to pay for 1300. In California that amounts to just over $500 in three years.

So to have paid $5000 for that privilege would have been far from cost effective for me! Obviously YMMV, but I don't see paying for Supercharging as a huge issue (although it is nice to be grandfathered in, in my archaic HW1 X :)

´the chargers are mainly there to punish people who use it as local charging and charging for their business vehicle (i.e. tesla taxi drivers)