Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

idea for CHAdeMO -> Tesla adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before this thread gets merged into one of the many "CHAdeMO" threads, hear me out. I am cross posting this from another thread I just posted this idea in because I think this discussion deserves it's own thread. I have an idea for an CHAdeMO -> Tesla adapter. I personally have no need for this, but the thought just crossed my mind and I think it may work. If this does work, this may solve the problem for many of the "I need a CHAdeMO adapter before committing to buy a Model S" peoples. So here it goes...it's fairly straightforward:

First, this thought, but I think has been discussed elsewhere: as a software engineer, I'm very good at probing software interfaces and making adapters between interfaces on different systems, (this is not my idea yet so wait until further down) but why can't the same be done at the electrical/hardware level for a CHAdeMO adapter like the J1772? Obviously an adapter like the J1772 would be perfect, but if what I read somewhere what that Tesla might have a proprietary interface/protocol securing the connection before charging would take place. Even if someone pulls this off, it is possible that Tesla is using some sort of randomized key (think RSI) that just might prevent that from working unless you know what the key is. Therefore.....

the following is my idea for the adapter to get around this protocol:

whatever is "upstream" of that protocol Tesla has no control over - so why can't someone just take a HPWC and make an adapter that would go from
CHAdeMO -> HPWC -> Model S? It might be a bit cumbersome, but my logical thought process tells me that it would definitely work...:confused:
clearly, I'm no electrician, so I might be overlooking something simple that invalidates this idea completely. If not...discuss. :biggrin:

also, if for some reason I am not the first to think this up :mad:and it has already been discussed (I didn't search threads), then feel free to merge and end of discussion, :tongue:

Chademo is 480 volts DC at up to 44Kw. J1772 is 240v AC only, max of ~19Kw - You would completely fry everything. Nope. Tesla wants to sell cars in Japan ASAP, so this is definitely in the works. I'll wait for the tested, verified adapter from Tesla.

Chademo is 480 volts DC at up to 44Kw. J1772 is 240v AC only, max of ~19Kw - You would completely fry everything. Nope. Tesla wants to sell cars in Japan ASAP, so this is definitely in the works. I'll wait for the tested, verified adapter from Tesla.

lol ok then so there is a technical reason why it can't be done. i didn't realize CHAdeMO was DC so this is more like the superchargers and it's technically more difficult for a third party to engineer an adapter...oh well.