Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea for easier control of wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you press the wiper button on the left stalk to do a single wipe then the control pops up on the screen. What if the left scroll button then able to change the wiper speed from off through to auto, just while the pop up was on screen?

I'd find this much easier to do than have to touch the screen to make the adjustment.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but I couldn't find it. Is this a suggestion that you'd find useful? Is there any way to feed back to Tesla?

Very nice idea!

It's a bit modal but modes are less of a UI problem than using a moving touch screen while needing to keep eyes on road.

This or gestures we could use without looking at the screen -- like swiping up/down anywhere on the large wiper control panel -- would be a good approach to control crucial car functions like wipers, headlights, fog lights, and defrosters.

When you press the wiper button on the left stalk to do a single wipe then the control pops up on the screen. What if the left scroll button then able to change the wiper speed from off through to auto, just while the pop up was on screen?

I'd find this much easier to do than have to touch the screen to make the adjustment.

Apologies if this has already been suggested, but I couldn't find it. Is this a suggestion that you'd find useful? Is there any way to feed back to Tesla?

I believe I have seen someone here post something like that, but dont personally think another setting should be assigned to the scroll buttons than is already there. There are all sort of things they could make as context aware options on the scroll buttons, but that increases complexity even more.

Since they added the voice commands that allow changing of speed, and turning wipers on and off, combined with a manual swipe, I find zero need to touch the screen for wipers while driving.

Its not like I have any particular influence or anything, though.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I believe I have seen someone here post something like that, but dont personally think another setting should be assigned to the scroll buttons than is already there. There are all sort of things they could make as context aware options on the scroll buttons, but that increases complexity even more.

Since they added the voice commands that allow changing of speed, and turning wipers on and off, combined with a manual swipe, I find zero need to touch the screen for wipers while driving.

Its not like I have any particular influence or anything, though.

I actually think it's a good idea... if you really think about it, it doesn't increase complexity of the scroll buttons at all, because that functionality would only be available whilst the wiper UI is on the screen. 😊

Good idea. Any mode confusion is safe too, default left scroll wheel is volume up/down, so risk of getting confused either way is not a huge deal: you might accidentally change the volume or wiper speed when you intended to change the other. You'll learn it quick.

Reactions: PianoAl
I can't believe they haven't fixed this yet. If you rely on controlling everything from the "big screen", then the first and most important priority is to make the UI work.

One of the main reasons why I'm still hesitant to buy a Tesla Model 3.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucsdsig