Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea for Ultrasonic Sensors while parking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
Put the Beep Sound on the Speaker Closest to the that Sensor :)

I've got these sensors on other cars.

The problem is when backing out of garages or tight spots, the sensors beep a lot and you tune them out (when you often need them the most).

But if something is directly behind you, you want to know the difference between that and something on the side.

You could have different tones (front, side, back), or even possibly voice, but then I thought "Surround" sound could work really well. And you would notice something is "different" this time when an obstacle is behind you when it's "normal" to have something "near" to the side (like the garage door opening).

One thing that drives me nuts on my Jeep is that if I'm backing up it still alarms the front and visa versa. I forget if the Model 3 is smarter than, that. I believe it's not. That would help because I always pull up to an obstacle in the garage. I don't care if I'm in reverse.

I saw a Model S back out of a Stall directly into another Model S. I thought his Ultrasonic alarms must have been going off, why didn't he stop and look around. Then I realized, his alarms probably are always going off (on the sides due to garage door opening) and he ignored them.

Just a thought.

Put the Beep Sound on the Speaker Closest to the that Sensor :)

I've got these sensors on other cars.

The problem is when backing out of garages or tight spots, the sensors beep a lot and you tune them out (when you often need them the most).

But if something is directly behind you, you want to know the difference between that and something on the side.

You could have different tones (front, side, back), or even possibly voice, but then I thought "Surround" sound could work really well. And you would notice something is "different" this time when an obstacle is behind you when it's "normal" to have something "near" to the side (like the garage door opening).

One thing that drives me nuts on my Jeep is that if I'm backing up it still alarms the front and visa versa. I forget if the Model 3 is smarter than, that. I believe it's not. That would help because I always pull up to an obstacle in the garage. I don't care if I'm in reverse.

I saw a Model S back out of a Stall directly into another Model S. I thought his Ultrasonic alarms must have been going off, why didn't he stop and look around. Then I realized, his alarms probably are always going off (on the sides due to garage door opening) and he ignored them.

Just a thought.

My 2012 Volt does that, sort of. High pitch on the front speakers for front obstacle and low tone on the rear for rear. The front warnings go away, not in reverse but after moving a distance away.

My 2012 Volt does that, sort of. High pitch on the front speakers for front obstacle and low tone on the rear for rear. The front warnings go away, not in reverse but after moving a distance away.

In fairness the Model 3 does not warn on the front when backing up, that's nice. But it needs to differentiate sides from (front and rear).