Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Tesla could limit charge to 80% when a location is extremely busy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They need to limit the Lone Pine and Inyokern chargers to 80%.
I have to disagree on this point. Lone Pine and Inyokern are very rural, and there are legitimate reasons to charge above 80%. On one occasion, we charged to 100% in Inyokern for a winter trip to Death Valley where we were not sure if we would be able to charge overnight. I can imagine others wanting to charge to 100% if making certain round trips to the mountains (Sierras and White Mountains) or if there is a lot of snow on the road. We also have to consider people with older Model S 60 cars who may need more than 80% just to get to Mammoth with an okay margin.

The solution at these locations is more Superchargers and better education, perhaps signs like "Limit Supercharging to 80% if feasible".

I have to disagree on this point. Lone Pine and Inyokern are very rural, and there are legitimate reasons to charge above 80%. On one occasion, we charged to 100% in Inyokern for a winter trip to Death Valley where we were not sure if we would be able to charge overnight. I can imagine others wanting to charge to 100% if making certain round trips to the mountains (Sierras and White Mountains) or if there is a lot of snow on the road. We also have to consider people with older Model S 60 cars who may need more than 80% just to get to Mammoth with an okay margin.

The solution at these locations is more Superchargers and better education, perhaps signs like "Limit Supercharging to 80% if feasible".
The person I saw supercharging to 95% was in a Model 3 with aero wheels. I guess I should have asked them why because I can't think of a reason. Who wants to spend an hour in their car at Inyokern in the middle of the night? Maybe require people who want to charge past 80% to go to the end of the line after getting to 80%? I assume the 80% limit will only be when the supercharger is actually congested. Hopefully they'll build superchargers in Bishop and Kramer Junction.
If you're charging over 80% it's probably faster to just drive more slowly.

The person I saw supercharging to 95% was in a Model 3 with aero wheels. I guess I should have asked them why because I can't think of a reason. Who wants to spend an hour in their car at Inyokern in the middle of the night? Maybe require people who want to charge past 80% to go to the end of the line after getting to 80%? I assume the 80% limit will only be when the supercharger is actually congested.
When there is congestion, I think it would be fair to require people to get back in line if they need more than 80%, assuming they started from below 60-70%. Perhaps Tesla could detect whether the car has been moved since Supercharging, and only allow the charge to be restarted if the car has been moved at least 10 meters or so, with a corresponding "get back in line" message on the dash.

Hopefully they'll build superchargers in Bishop and Kramer Junction.
Tesla says they'll do this in 2019. Hopefully!

If you're charging over 80% it's probably faster to just drive more slowly.
That might not be true until above 90-95%, though I haven't run the numbers. On the Death Valley trip when I charged to 100% at Inyokern, I also drove more slowly than usual, as I wanted to maintain as much flexibility as possible. My backup plan was to detour to the Supercharger in Beatty, NV, but I didn't want to have to drive that far out of our way. As it turned out, we and another Model S owner were able to park in an RV campsite at Furnace Creek and charge there!

When there is congestion, I think it would be fair to require people to get back in line if they need more than 80%, assuming they started from below 60-70%.
Bad idea. This is not about a local trying to take advantage of free charging. No one is interested in spending a minute longer than they have to in Inyokern. They want to get what they need, be it 70%0, 80% or 100% and get the heck out of there. It is not for someone else to decide to punish them. That would be complete torture to have someone get back in line after hitting 90%.

Your idea is simply a bad one.

I don't understand why this is a bad idea? Why not just have people cycle through the line? It seems fine; if the charge is important they can wait longer, what is the problem with that? Or have some destination chargers at the same location to help top up (they'll be nearly as fast).

There has to be some solution. Maybe require a nav destination to be entered in order to determine whether more "top-up" charging is allowed without cycling through the line? Obviously that could (and would) be gamed...but I would guess it would reduce the problem.

I think we're just looking for a solution which optimizes throughput here...

Your idea is simply a bad one.
It's not my idea BTW. It was shown at the V3 supercharger announcement.
supercharger-v3-in-action.jpg

Reactions: JeffnReno
It's not my idea BTW. It was shown at the V3 supercharger announcement.
In more urbanized areas like Orange County, most if not all of the Superchargers should probably stop at 80%, at least whenever they're busy enough for idle fees to be applicable. That could help to reduce congestion immediately, without preventing anyone from driving anywhere.

Rural Superchargers are another matter. At Inyokern and other rural SCs, when the site is busy, I'd have no problem with everyone being forced to stop Supercharging at 90% if destination chargers were available for topping off. I'm suggesting a threshold of 90%, rather than 80%, because most cars won't get more than 9 - 12 kW out of a destination charger. Even for a car at 80%, that's much slower than Supercharging. Another benefit of adding destination chargers is that they would be better for people staying in adjacent hotels, as there are many Superchargers that are close to overnight accommodations.

In more urbanized areas like Orange County, most if not all of the Superchargers should probably stop at 80%, at least whenever they're busy enough for idle fees to be applicable. That could help to reduce congestion immediately, without preventing anyone from driving anywhere.

Rural Superchargers are another matter. At Inyokern and other rural SCs, when the site is busy, I'd have no problem with everyone being forced to stop Supercharging at 90% if destination chargers were available for topping off. I'm suggesting a threshold of 90%, rather than 80%, because most cars won't get more than 9 - 12 kW out of a destination charger. Even for a car at 80%, that's much slower than Supercharging. Another benefit of adding destination chargers is that they would be better for people staying in adjacent hotels, as there are many Superchargers that are close to overnight accommodations.
I still vote for 80%. 80%-90% is only an average of 30kW. Maybe allow S60s and X75s to go to 90% :p

What really sucks is watching a model 3 owner sit in his car AFTER finishing charging, NOT moving his car, when there is a line up. At Mojove, I literally had to knock on his window, even though there had been a line of three waiting!

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
What really sucks is watching a model 3 owner sit in his car AFTER finishing charging, NOT moving his car, when there is a line up. At Mojove, I literally had to knock on his window, even though there had been a line of three waiting!
You did the right thing to get his attention to inform him that people were waiting for an open stall.

If I am waiting to charge somewhere, and I see someone unplug, get in his car, and sit there, I will absolutely go up to them and request that they move their car. Some people are simply oblivious. They are not deliberately trying to block someone from charging, they’re just oblivious.

Bad idea. This is not about a local trying to take advantage of free charging. No one is interested in spending a minute longer than they have to in Inyokern. They want to get what they need, be it 70%0, 80% or 100% and get the heck out of there. It is not for someone else to decide to punish them. That would be complete torture to have someone get back in line after hitting 90%.
Also good luck enforcing that.
Ask them to move. They say no. Now what?

Reactions: outdoors
Also good luck enforcing that.
Ask them to move. They say no. Now what?
This is just another reason that local/state/national ordinances need to be in place to address situations that could lead to violence. Not everyone will be so kind and patient to put up with such rude selfish behavior and it would be bad publicity if Tesla owners were beating up other Tesla owners over such BS. I would much rather see law enforcement fine/tow than personally get involved just because of a jerk.

This is just another reason that local/state/national ordinances need to be in place to address situations that could lead to violence. Not everyone will be so kind and patient to put up with such rude selfish behavior and it would be bad publicity if Tesla owners were beating up other Tesla owners over such BS. I would much rather see law enforcement fine/tow than personally get involved just because of a jerk.
I’m confused
You want a law that states a person can only charge to 80% unless they need more?
Why would any rational person get violent?