Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Idea] Tesla should open-source the in-car GUI

Should Tesla open-source the in-car GUI

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already told them this. I am sure they cannot open-source everything, but at least some parts...
Also - legitimize root users and let people have access to their car by jumping through a couple of hoops (kind of like phone bootloader unlocking on certain tinker-friendly phones).

I am not holding my breath, but who knows ;)

Also, would be great if they start with actually releasing all the GPL source they are supposed to release and did not despite multiple requests from copyright holders.

There are obvious benefits in it for them too of course. Like people fixing annoying bugs and feeding the fixes back. It's like SDK without all the risk of people doing strange apps since Tesla decides what features to accept back.

Last edited:
If nothing else open up the concept of an "app store" that allows folks to develop apps we can run natively.

That's all and good, but I really don't think Tesla has the resources or in-house know-how to build a secure userland/sandbox where these apps could run, that don't risk being hacked and allowing apps root access. It's not a big deal if an app takes over your phone -- the worst thing that can happen with your phone is all your private data is stolen or your camera is hijacked --- but if an app allows someone to remotely take over your car? It's now a lethal weapon in the hands of someone else.

That's all and good, but I really don't think Tesla has the resources or in-house know-how to build a secure userland/sandbox where these apps could run, that don't risk being hacked and allowing apps root access. It's not a big deal if an app takes over your phone -- the worst thing that can happen with your phone is all your private data is stolen or your camera is hijacked --- but if an app allows someone to remotely take over your car? It's now a lethal weapon in the hands of someone else.

Well, not exactly. There really isn't much that can be done in terms of compromising safety just with root on the CID. Sure, they can mess with your displays or put the car in neutral, but Tesla cracked down hard on arbitrary CAN injection so that the scary stuff isn't really possible any more.

They've done a decent job firewalling off the CID and IC from the rest of the car in recent versions, but there is still quite a bit that can be done and certainly more hacks that haven't been discovered, reported, and/or fixed yet.

I would definitely encourage Tesla to allow power users access to their own car's credentials and systems, though, by request, perhaps behind some large waiver/disclaimers. At least that way people who want to do something can do it, and those who don't, don't.