Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idea: Tesla should release a "Data is Beautiful" map of the USA showing SOC/position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be super cool if Tesla could release a heat map of the entire USA that is color coded (from green to red with many gradations) to show average state of charge (SOC) vs latitude/longitude. You'd basically have a map of the country that is easy to show where chargers should be placed. The radius around supercharger stations would be green, fading to yellow and orange at the midpoint between the station and the next supercharger.

Did I explain this well enough to be understood? I think it would be a super cool visualization and perhaps a useful tool for strategic placement of chargers.

It would be super cool if Tesla could release a heat map of the entire USA that is color coded (from green to red with many gradations) to show average state of charge (SOC) vs latitude/longitude. You'd basically have a map of the country that is easy to show where chargers should be placed. The radius around supercharger stations would be green, fading to yellow and orange at the midpoint between the station and the next supercharger.

Did I explain this well enough to be understood? I think it would be a super cool visualization and perhaps a useful tool for strategic placement of chargers.

No. Well, not well enough to be understood by me, anyway.

Average SOC of what?

The radius around supercharger stations would be green, fading to yellow and orange at the midpoint between the station and the next supercharger.
Only if limited to moving cars. Otherwise the output is going to be skewed by the vehicles charging up or sitting at home full.

Unless you mean a heatmap version (instead of rings, color gradients) of the existing static Supercharging map on Tesla's site?

I bet they use this data already to help choose where the next supercharger should be. Would be neat to see it. We should put the Reddit dataisbeautiful people together with Tesla to get all sorts of cool visualizations from the telemetry data.

If only cars that are traveling long distances are included, then maybe; since people's usual commutes don't (on average) result in low SOC. All those cars (not on a road trip) would show normal SOC whether they live near a
SC or not.

People are only going travel where they can charge, so this map won't show low SOC areas, just blank areas.

Also since there's probably a car driving west for each driving east, this map would show a middle SOC everywhere, skewed toward high since we tend avoid low SOC more than high. Don't forget cars arrive at a SC low and leave high, creating a middle SOC average near a SC.

I suppose if you could just log road trip cars, and only log low SOC events, then you might have something. But I think Tesla has a plan. There are a lot of remote areas in the US, so it'll be a while before you can find a SC 150 miles in any direction from any other. We'll get there eventually.

This got me thinking, if we need at least a SC every 150 miles in any direction how many would we need in the US? I'd like to know for Canada but I don't want to get depressed, I'd be happy to hear more are being built but it's rare lately in this country.