Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal charging behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping your pack at a lower SOC is better for the cells. The lower voltage keeps the electrolyte solvents in a more stable range, this is basic lithium battery chemistry. A123 testing showed a shallow cycle between around 40-50% SOC provided 100,000 cycles. (pg 14) On a pack level it's probably easier to get a good balance at a higher SOC. I would suggest that if you don't need the range then keeping the car around 50% SOC most of the time is fine, with an occasional full standard charge to make sure the cells are well balanced.

I would suggest that if you don't need the range then keeping the car around 50% SOC most of the time is fine, with an occasional full standard charge to make sure the cells are well balanced.

+ 1
And with 4.5 you can do just that without hazzle, and just top up when you need to (and balance the cells by doing it). Those of us who would like to go the extra mile to reduce degradation can easily do that now, and those who won`t can keep their cars at 90% standard. I don`t think there`ll be an enormous difference as aging takes a toll on the cells anyway. But reducing degradation with just 0,1-0,2% a year would make it worh wile for me as the car will be just as versatile for my everyday use with 50% max SOC as 93%.

For those of us with short commutes (~30miles / day) and access to both 240v and 110v, which amperage is best for the battery? Does it work better to trickle in over 10 hours or top off after one hour?

Thanks.
I have the same question. I have a HPWC (hopefully with an 80 amp draw soon) and a 120 volt garage outlet that I use daily. I bought the HPWC mostly to reciprocate for other Tesla Owners who pass my way. I'm on Plugshare and look for other Tesla Owners when we travel. Will it be better to use the 120 volt daily and only use the HPWC when I need it?