Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal driver's seat position in model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering how all of you adjusted your seat in your model Y for the ideal driving position. I like mine on the high side because it gives me the best view of the road and in front of the car (especially when parking since there is no front camera or USS parking features) but I noticed that now my sun visor smacks my face when I rotate it into place on the driver window. Is that a sign I have my seat position too high or too far forward? Just wondering if anybody has any advise on ideal seat position aside from "whatever feels good"...

Reactions: tander
Yea, if your head is getting hit by the sunvisor, you are sitting too high and too far forward, IMO.

Generally, I set my seats for long-term driving comfort, which means my thighs are at a comfortable angle - which is slightly tilted up to ease thigh pressure and prevent sliding off the seat during braking. This pretty much dictates the seat height and tilt angle. I then adjust the fore/aft to get the right pedal reach. After that the seat back for a comfortable angle, and finally the steering wheel angle and in/out length. Visibility in a Model Y is pretty good so I don't feel the need to sit up too high.

Reactions: DerbyCityY
NovaY, I'd like your systematic way of adjustment, however you skipped the lumbar support. Shame. I want to hear what you say about it. 😎

LOL. I generally have the lumbar support all the way in since, well, I no longer have a youthful figure, I so I don't have much of an arch in my back to support. I only mess with it if it becomes uncomfortable.

I've tried everything I could do to open the sun visor without having to duck around it and it's just not possible without sitting stupidly low or too far back to reach the pedals. I'm not that short (5'11"). I guess I'll just leave it as it is and duck under it when I open the visor...

I've tried everything I could do to open the sun visor without having to duck around it and it's just not possible without sitting stupidly low or too far back to reach the pedals. I'm not that short (5'11"). I guess I'll just leave it as it is and duck under it when I open the visor...

The reason you are sitting so forward is that you set the seat so high, so that you can only reach the pedals by moving your seat very far forward. Have a friend take a picture of you sitting in the driver seat with the driver door open. Your upper leg should at most be flat - preferably sloping down slightly towards your hip. Your lower leg should form an angle of about 45 degrees and not much steeper than that. I'm about your height and I have the seat adjusted near the lowest position without any visibility concerns.

Reactions: towndrunk
Yea, if your head is getting hit by the sunvisor, you are sitting too high and too far forward, IMO.

Generally, I set my seats for long-term driving comfort, which means my thighs are at a comfortable angle - which is slightly tilted up to ease thigh pressure and prevent sliding off the seat during braking. This pretty much dictates the seat height and tilt angle. I then adjust the fore/aft to get the right pedal reach. After that the seat back for a comfortable angle, and finally the steering wheel angle and in/out length. Visibility in a Model Y is pretty good so I don't feel the need to sit up too high.
Good job! Idea isn't bad at all.

I have a long back, so my head's near the glass ceiling with the seat raked back for comfort. I've always had my seat like that though in all my cars and what I don't understand is how short people are able to drive

I know it's not their fault, but have you ever been behind a car and it looks like there's nobody driving it?