Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideal Miles Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My new (to me) 2008 Roadster has almost 25,000 miles on it. After its first charge at 120V and 12 amps it shows Ideal miles at 183 with a standard charge. What would that translate into with a range charge? Is there any good reason I should do a range charge? I don't need that much range at this time.

My new (to me) 2008 Roadster has almost 25,000 miles on it. After its first charge at 120V and 12 amps it shows Ideal miles at 183 with a standard charge. What would that translate into with a range charge? Is there any good reason I should do a range charge? I don't need that much range at this time.

That's good, somewhat better than my 26,000m roadster. I guess that would give you about 230-235 miles on range charge. But no, don't range charge it all the time, only when you need it or every few months to balance the pack.

Pantera, your Roadster is estimating the same range as my one-year-old 2011 Roadster shows me (and has since new), which implies your battery is in fantastic health. Good news.

Always use standard charge. Only use range charge when you're really going to need it.

One quirk, you will get an extra 5 miles or so charging at 120V versus 240V. You are doing much better than my Roadster at 14,000 miles as I get about 175 miles in a standard charge. You get about 50 more miles if you charge in range mode, about 25 on the top end and it unlocks the bottom 25 miles.

I've seen a Roadster owner receive a VMS error that was related to a sheet going bad when he drove his Roadster below 20 miles. Sounded like it wouldn't have showed up if he didn't, Tesla replaced the sheet under warranty. Before mine is up, a month or two, I'm driving my miles down to that lower limit to help ensure the battery pack's integrity.