TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ideal Wh/mile?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by jlucero, Apr 21, 2016.

1. jlucero

jlucero Member

what is the ideal Wh/Mile to match expected range left with actual range? i find that around 275 is an ideal range...of course lower the better...

2. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the only time I am concerned about energy consumption is on long hops while on a road trip. for "normal" daily driving it shouldn't be an issue. I drive and enjoy the performance of the car regardless of the consumption.
    to answer your question, keeping a steady speed helps keeping the numbers down, I average around 280-310

3. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

188 wh/km or 300 wh/mile will give you exactly the "rated" range in a P85D (and probably a P90D). I don't know the numbers for "ideal".

4. jlucero

jlucero Member

i guess what im saying is that when my vehicle says on the screen that i have 200 miles left, when i run at 300 wh/mile, i really end up with around 175 miles when all is said and done. when i run at 250wh/mile, i find im much closer to that 200 mile range.

5. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

#5 DCGOO, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Why not set the car to display %energy rather than distance, and call it a day? If precise range estimate is important, you are probably better off using the energy display. IMO it is much more useful to know my tank is 25% full, rather than a guess at a distance using a somewhat dubious calculation.

• Like x 1
  6. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

That's an option, but then you still need to do the math to convert to Projected range.

Why doesn't Tesla just create a third display option so it's Rated Range, Energy (i.e., percentage) and Projected Range? They give us projected range anyway on the Consumption tab. Why not let us see it on the Instrument cluster?

I can imagine at some point they did it for "range anxiety" marketing purposes, but the range is way up now and customers are buying the model/range they want. Give us the facts which reflect our driving conditions and style.

7. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I just did the math on this to understand it for myself. I charged my S90D to 90%, then drove the car about 10 miles, parked for an hour and a half, drove home 10 miles, and then did the math. The point is that these numbers have minimal vampire loss. Here's the math:

100% RR = 292
    90% RR = 264

After driving 20 miles:

RR = 242
    Battery percentage = 82%
    Consumption last 15mi = 300 Wh/mi
    Projected range = 232

Projected range / Rated range = 232 / 242 = 95.9%

Wh/mi to achieve Rate Range = 300 x .959 = 288 Wh/mi

Implied battery capacity = 288 Wh/mi * 292 Rated Range = 84 kWh

Implied "reserve" or "anti-brick" = 6 kWh

In practice, I consume about 310Wh/mi so my 100% range is about 84,000 / 310 = 270 miles

YMMV!

8. David29

David29 Member

For the 70D, the EPA rated range corresponds to 290 wH/mi. But that assumes all 70 KWH are available for driving, which is unlikely to be true.

9. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I have noted 3 Ranges in various places in my Model X. 1 - Rated Range; 2 - Ideal Range and 3 - Projected range

Which is the most important in terms of remaining range to drive?
    What is the difference between Ideal and Rated?

Is the Projected range calculated by the wh/mile and adjusted as watts/mile history changes?

Going on a Road Trip in a couple of weeks and need to know which to pay most attention to.