Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas for Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
Daylight running lights are a legal requirement in many territories.

Here's an idea: Replace some of the visible wavelength running light LEDs with a few Infra Red ones (if the headlight glass housing blocks I. R. then mount the I.R. LEDs differently.)

I R LEDs could be set to flash a unique digital code. Digital cameras see in infra red (try out your t.v. remote with your phone camera) so the A.P. cameras would see the IR signal reflected back from street signs, lane reflectors, reflectors on cars and motorbikes.

This would enhance the visibility of particular items, simplifying tracking - at least in IR

Last edited:
Well, I guess the tough part for HW2 is mapping a 3D world. Since none of the camera systems have stereoscopic vision (which I understand is really effective to just 10 meters) maybe series of two images that are seperated by milliseconds during movement can be compared to create a synthetic stereoscopic vision. My forte is microwave so, I would love to hear from people that have knowledge on optics, etc. chime in on this idea.o_O

Another idea:

REALLY big change to the OLED screen content when the car is switched from manual to autopilot.

Think Lotus Esprit dashboard when it changed from car to submarine (although that was a cheesy special effect)