TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Ideas for Autopilot

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by malcolm, Sep 4, 2017.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#1 malcolm, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    Daylight running lights are a legal requirement in many territories.

Here's an idea: Replace some of the visible wavelength running light LEDs with a few Infra Red ones (if the headlight glass housing blocks I. R. then mount the I.R. LEDs differently.)

I R LEDs could be set to flash a unique digital code. Digital cameras see in infra red (try out your t.v. remote with your phone camera) so the A.P. cameras would see the IR signal reflected back from street signs, lane reflectors, reflectors on cars and motorbikes.

This would enhance the visibility of particular items, simplifying tracking - at least in IR

• Like x 2
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

IR focuses at a different point than visible light. This might cause issues. I'm not sure I fully grasp the reason for doing this versus regular visible light.

3. teddytoons

teddytoons Member

Well, I guess the tough part for HW2 is mapping a 3D world. Since none of the camera systems have stereoscopic vision (which I understand is really effective to just 10 meters) maybe series of two images that are seperated by milliseconds during movement can be compared to create a synthetic stereoscopic vision. My forte is microwave so, I would love to hear from people that have knowledge on optics, etc. chime in on this idea.o_O

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Another idea:

REALLY big change to the OLED screen content when the car is switched from manual to autopilot.

Think Lotus Esprit dashboard when it changed from car to submarine (although that was a cheesy special effect)

5. ChrML

ChrML Member

I can't see how this would help autonomous driving, but it would certainly help automatic hi-beams tell the difference between an oncoming car and a reflecting roadsign.