Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas for concealing backboard / panel / meter / electrical boxes for parking lot EV chargers at condo.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I joined my condos BOD for pretty much the sole purpose of completing an EV charging project. The project was finally approved and the install started today. We pulled out a new electrical service, so needed a backboard, electrical panels, and meter.

I might be overly paranoid here, but I’m nervous about making sure everything goes smoothly and looks good since I had pretty much sole ownership of this project at a 140 unit building.

After the first phase today, I saw the actual backboard panel, meter, etc. it was a lot more pronounced and larger than I expected. I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas / suggestions for helping it blend in a bit and be less pronounced? Can I paint the metal parts as well as the backboard? Anything else? I want to get ahead of the inevitable complaints. Here’s a photo of what was installed.

Attachments

• 7EA93409-336C-4954-ACE7-DD19D4CD7C71.jpeg
    7EA93409-336C-4954-ACE7-DD19D4CD7C71.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 22F93CC4-0B67-480A-982C-18F7E8372321.png
    22F93CC4-0B67-480A-982C-18F7E8372321.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
Along with the paint, I would recommend that you go easy on additional landscaping, since you can't cover up the panels (they need to have access in front)...But you could do something in the back as long as it doesn't "overtake" the panel board...

Reactions: NewEnglandCld
Check with your contractor as they would know the local codes best. You might be able to box it in entirely with a small roof over it and two locked French doors to prevent vandalism. Might need a small window if the meter isn't wireless.

Reactions: NewEnglandCld
Thanks, all... now that I've gotten used to it, I'm not as freaked out as I initially was ha. Most owners at the building seem to be excited about having EV charging as an option (we're in a rural area without any). I'll likely start with paint in the spring, but if there are complaints, will likely have a carpenter build a cabinet over the backboard to conceal.