Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas For Showing The Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be entering my car in my town's local "Cruise Night" in August. Our Main Street will be closed to traffic and loaded with a couple thousand people walking around, talking with owners, taking pictures, etc.

They have tons of antiques, classic cars, and some just plain cool cars every year but I've never seen a Tesla so I decided to put Blue Max in the show. LR, AWD, Blue with white interior.

I've never shown a car before, but I do know to at least make sure it's detailed to perfection beforehand and to put up a big sign with all the pertinent details for people to read.

Other than that, I'd like to see if you all have some good tips for showing the car that will help make it a nice experience for me and the people who come by to look at it.

People are going to have a lot of questions if they are being exposed to the Tesla for the first time. I would make flyers with FAQs and maybe even include your referral link.

I actually made a list just yesterday when reading another thread. Someone had put similar information on a business card.

• This is the Tesla Model 3. It is fully electric and does not use gas.
  • It gets 325 miles of range when fully charged while additional configurations that can do 310 and 260 based battery and features.
  • I charge the car primarily at home. A regular wall outlet will add about 5 mi/hr. A high power outlet can add up to 24-30 mi/hr. Imagine waking up every day to a fully charged car.
  • It adds little to my electricity bill. Every 300 miles driven will consume about 70kw to your electricity usage.
  • Tesla has a vast SuperCharger network that is at least 180 miles from anywhere you are in the USA, adding 180 miles in 20 min. Located near restaurants and rest stops.
  • Autopilot works to keep you in your lane and follow cars. You still need to pay attention at all times.
  • Your phone is your car key. A credit card size key is included as a backup and for valet usage.
  • Free internet access consists of Google Maps and navigation. Premium Internet ($100/year) gives you satellite view, streaming internet radio, live traffic and a web browser.
  • GPS will remember your home location. It can open your garage door as you approach your home and close it as you leave automatically.
  • Includes built-in dash cam. Sentry Mode protects car by recording while parked.
  • No need to take your car to the service center for light work, they'll come to you in many cases.
  • Ready to get a Tesla? Price starts at around $39K. Imagine how much money you'll be saving on gas. No oil changes are needed. Very little maintenance.

People are going to have a lot of questions if they are being exposed to the Tesla for the first time. I would make flyers with FAQs and maybe even include your referral link.

I actually made a list just yesterday when reading another thread. Someone had put similar information on a business card.

• It gets 325 miles of range when fully charged while additional configurations that can do 310 and 260 based battery and features.
  • I charge the car primarily at home. A regular wall outlet will add about 5 mi/hr. A high power outlet can add up to 24-30 mi/hr. Imagine waking up every day to a fully charged car.
  • It adds little to my electricity bill. Every 300 miles driven will consume about 70kw to your electricity usage.
  • Tesla has a vast SuperCharger network that is at least 180 miles from anywhere you are in the USA, adding 180 miles in 20 min. Located near restaurants and rest stops.
  • Autopilot works to keep you in your lane and follow cars. You still need to pay attention at all times.
  • Your phone is your car key. A credit card size key is included as a backup and for valet usage.
  • Free internet access consists of Google Maps and navigation. Premium Internet ($100/year) gives you satellite view, streaming internet radio, live traffic and a web browser.
  • GPS will remember your home location. It can open your garage door as you approach your home and close it as you leave automatically.
  • Includes built-in dash cam. Sentry Mode protects car by recording while parked.
  • No need to take your car to the service center for light work, they'll come to you in many cases.
  • Ready to get a Tesla? Price starts at around $39K. Imagine how much money you'll be saving on gas. No oil changes are needed. Very little maintenance.
70 kWh. Suggested addition: This is the best car you have ever driven of any kind. And the safest.

Reactions: japhule and McQ14

This is a terrific list to have handy. Thank you for taking the time to post it!
I can make up some info cards pretty easily.

One thing I have to say surprised me is the premium internet. I may have missed this when I bought my car but mine came with that and I’m wondering if I’ll have to continue to pay for it every year. It never came up in any conversation I had with sales or service.
The car just has it.
I’ll pay regardless - I love it.

This is a terrific list to have handy. Thank you for taking the time to post it!
I can make up some info cards pretty easily.

One thing I have to say surprised me is the premium internet. I may have missed this when I bought my car but mine came with that and I’m wondering if I’ll have to continue to pay for it every year. It never came up in any conversation I had with sales or service.
The car just has it.
I’ll pay regardless - I love it.
I think everyone with premium interior gets the 1st year free (people who ordered before 7/1/2018 get free lifetime). I wouldn't be surprised if they extended it.

• Informative
Reactions: McQ14
As we are all excited about our cars, be prepared to answer the "cons". (I wouldn't advertise them) You want to be honest, otherwise there will be people that remember you, your car and your "one sided offering". There are "issues" many have experienced but, by telling them to "drive one" first, the cons will fade into the rear view mirror!

Couldn't agree more. I'm sure we are all aware by now, there are more Tesla haters out there. Perhaps not as much as a few years back, but there are still some. Being transparent, and chalking it to the 'ol "they're a growing company" excuse helps a little bit. Most importantly - enjoy! An M3P can probably take most (if not all) of the cars in that car show in a quarter mile. :D:p

Reactions: alexGS and McQ14
@McQ14 Here are a few ideas for display. I've done this at 60+ events with my Model S and Model 3 since 2014.

Since this event is at night, you will want to be sure the interior lights stay on. Go through the settings for lighting, and set dome light to "on."
If you want to leave the parking lights on, get out of the car so there is no weight on the seat, then reach back in and use the screen to set the lights to "parking."
Think about what you want to display on the screen. I usually zoom mine out to the point that the whole state is visible so people can see where the superchargers are.
If you have the scale model or a hot wheels model 3, put it on the dashboard. Having a model of your car on display is a common thing at car shows.
Bring the UMC so people can see what comes with the car.
Bring cleaning supplies such as detail spray and microfiber cloths. Clean the nose of the car when you get there so it doesn't have any bugs.
Leave one of the doors just latched but not fully closed so that the screen stays on. It will still turn off after about 30 minutes so you will have to open the door, close it, open it, then latch it.
Leave the windows down so people can see inside the car easily.
Be prepared for people who think that they can just open the door and get in. I don't know why, but this seems to be a thing with Tesla. Some people will be very respectful of any other car brand but when they see a Tesla they just assume that it is a "dealer" car so they can put hand prints all over it, climb in, and start playing with the screen. I print business cards that say "Privately owned vehicle. Please do not touch" and slide them between the window and weather strip just above each door handle.

Some people may ask politely if they can sit in the car or if you will demo the screen or something along those lines. A friend of mine lets people get in his car all the time. If you decide to do this, follow his practice: check their clothing first for things like rivets or rhinestones on jeans, or dangling keys that could damage your seats. It's surprising how often you'll see these things.

Above all else, have fun!

@McQ14 Here are a few ideas for display. I've done this at 60+ events with my Model S and Model 3 since 2014.

Since this event is at night, you will want to be sure the interior lights stay on. Go through the settings for lighting, and set dome light to "on."
If you want to leave the parking lights on, get out of the car so there is no weight on the seat, then reach back in and use the screen to set the lights to "parking."
Think about what you want to display on the screen. I usually zoom mine out to the point that the whole state is visible so people can see where the superchargers are.
If you have the scale model or a hot wheels model 3, put it on the dashboard. Having a model of your car on display is a common thing at car shows.
Bring cleaning supplies such as detail spray and microfiber cloths. Clean the nose of the car when you get there so it doesn't have any bugs.
Leave one of the doors just latched but not fully closed so that the screen stays on. It will still turn off after about 30 minutes so you will have to open the door, close it, open it, then latch it.
Be prepared for people who think that they can just open the door and get in. I don't know why, but this seems to be a thing with Tesla. Some people will be very respectful of any other car brand but when they see a Tesla they just assume that it is a "dealer" car so they can put hand prints all over it, climb in, and start playing with the screen. I print business cards that say "Privately owned vehicle. Please do not touch" and slide them between the window and weather strip just above each door handle.

Some people may ask politely if they can sit in the car or if you will demo the screen or something along those lines. A friend of mine lets people get in his car all the time. If you decide to do this, follow his practice: check their clothing first for things like rivets or rhinestones on jeans, or dangling keys that could damage your seats. It's surprising how often you'll see these things.

This is very helpful. Thank you! Never thought about a model version of the car. I’ll definitely have that. Great tips on the lights, screen, and cleaning supplies. I appreciate this!

As we are all excited about our cars, be prepared to answer the "cons". (I wouldn't advertise them) You want to be honest, otherwise there will be people that remember you, your car and your "one sided offering". There are "issues" many have experienced but, by telling them to "drive one" first, the cons will fade into the rear view mirror!

I’m very up front about the car. My only concern is for the people who just hate Tesla for no logical reason. The ones who tend to drive lifted pickups and who like to park them in Supercharger spots. Hopefully won’t get too many of them. But I’m prepared to talk with them regardless.

Reactions: RScottyL and alexGS

Also, Rick...what is the UMC?

Thanks!

I think it’s all too complex to try and explain in writing. No-one wants to read a long list of details. At car shows, people expect beer, sausages, loud noise, and tire smoke etc.

How about a big sign saying “I could afford to buy something cool with a V8, but I bought this iPad-on-wheels instead.” :)

Maybe leave the Romance Mode on so there’s a nice roaring fire. When questioned about that, answer “oh, has it caught on fire again?”

I understand you can turn the heating off using the phone app while Romance Mode is active, though I haven’t had chance to try it.

I think the most important thing is not to seem like a ‘fan boy’, except to the people who are actually interested in the car. Having a list of information probably sends the wrong message of “my car’s so much better than yours, I’ve had to make a list of why”. I think Doug Demuro summed it up well when he said ‘the greatest compliment I can pay the Model 3 is to say that it’s a normal car, with no weird compromises’ (or words to that effect).

-Alex

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: McQ14