TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ideas for Thumping the Shorts

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Jackl1956, May 7, 2014.

1. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

2. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

Buy more shares

3. green1

green1 Active Member

Auzie's right, the only way to "thump the shorts" is to drive the price up, the only way to drive the price up is to buy shares. I did my part today... did you?

4. mershaw2001

mershaw2001 Member

No, sorry, I gave the shorts as much of my money as I could by buying hi and selling low. I'll prob do that again tomorrow and hope they are happy and go away.

5. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

There are shorts and then there is fund liquidation based on value of pps. If a mutual fund holds a million shares, or three million or nine million and reviews their holdings and decides to sell off 500K after an earnings announcement - then is that who you are railing against? I would say the market is the market - you can't fight shorts and shorts can't fight longs. You basically have a price based on trading between the two.

The stock price is a much bigger indication of a national (or international) pulse on the true valuation. Look at the dozens of high-fliers who have been beaten down the last three weeks. This is earnings season and really big funds and investment banks have started to re-position away from super-high P/E ratios over to more value stocks in a safety rotation. Tesla is not safe. Coke, McDonalds, Walmart and Proctor & Gamble are safe.

PPS goes up and down in many stocks. Don't buy and hold shares. Trade with all instruments. Shorting, going long, buying options, selling options, avoiding a trade. It is all part of investing. Don't be a "buy and hope" investor.

- - - Updated - - -

If you buy and hope - at least use covered calls to assist in extra income. However, there are other ways of protection as well. This sell off was "not unexpected" given the tanking results of many others the last few weeks. If investors went into this ER with hope as their only protection, I would advise investment educational tasks such as options classes, removal of emotion from investing and company valuation research methods.