Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas of how to avoid the EV tax credit cancelation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's be honest here people. The backlash on the EV credit being eliminated prematurely is driven by the fact that it takes $7500 out of your pocket, not some "greater good".

Really? And how do you support that conclusion? Actually the tax credit has already promoted the greater good by accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles to combat global warming, facilitating a cleaner environment, and reduce dependence on fossil fuels, a limited resource.

If you really cared about the "greater good", you would acknowledge the booming economy and jobs market the U.S. has experienced over the last year, and how the broad based tax cuts will put more money in the pockets of millions of Americans and businesses, creating even more economic stimulus and jobs.
I do acknowledge a booming stock market which most analysts say is overvalued and unjustified. And why does the GOP say we don't have a booming economy and that is why we need to give disproportionate tax breaks to the wealthy to stimulate the economy. It appears that you and the GOP are in disagreement on the economy. And you fail to acknowledge the booming economy started in 2008. The proposed GOP tax is typical "trickle down" economics first tried in the Reagan administration. Unfortunately, GOP administrations policies result in proportionately higher deficit and lower middle income take home pay while it is just the opposite in varying degrees, in Dem administrations, and this is easily researched.

Do you know why it is impossible to give a tax break to nearly half of U.S. households? I will tell you...because they pay zero in income taxes!
You too can be one of those households earning minimum wage and pay zero income taxes. Is that your wish? Also the estimate of non-payers is 45% this year, while it was 40% last year. Last year, last year......................whose administration was that anyway............GOP held the majority in Congress, but who was President? The name seems to escape me. :p

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Runt8 and DR61
Please knock off the partisan BS. It pisses off half the readers every time. I sent a letter to NVs Dean Heller and made my case. We should not stop communicating with congress what we like and don't like. I will strongly suggest telling them that you just don't like the whole bill will not result in much for you. Again, I suspect that GOP will pass *a* bill, so try and shape it the best you can.

On the positive, it sounds like someone has gotten a version of the bill with the EV back in. But PLEASE don't assume it is over until the bill is passed or killed!

Here's the quote and link:
"The South Dakota Republican said the measure also preserves existing clean energy tax incentives such as for electricity production from wind. It preserves a tax credit for electric cars as well.

The Latest: House about-face on deduction for adoption

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I believe what needs to continue getting across is that this credit isn't merely a giveaway. It is a strategic investment in American manufacturing, innovation, and energy. I don't see that as a partisan issue at all. It's just a question of whether it is a good investment or a bad one. As someone who strongly believes we are right on the cusp of reaping the benefits we've been waiting for since the start of this stimulus program, it would just be plain dumb to pull the rug out from under in now. The only possible justification would be ulterior motives (such as oil industry interests).

Sorry about that, I was told earlier that the partisan BS as you put it is perfectly acceptable on this board, and that anyone who doesn't like it should just put the person on ignore. I was told it was censorship to not allow those types of posts. My bad, I guess this is a one way street.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
What would be helpful (looking for volunteers?) from anyone still dedicated to see this through to the finish line....

If we had a list of:
  • Which GOP congress members were EV friendly (most likely to listen and act on our behalf)
  • Which Democratic congress members were being courted for this bill
We could really narrow this effort. I found the first bullet list exactly, but it's from 2010 (see link below). I haven't looked too hard yet, but I haven't found a similar 2016/2017 list and I haven't seen the second bullet listed either.

So, if you're interested and capable all help welcome!

Here's the 2010 example:
The article is titled "How Electric Car-Friendly is Your Candidate?"
How Does Your Candidate Stand on Electric Cars?

What would be helpful (looking for volunteers?) from anyone still dedicated to see this through to the finish line....

If we had a list of:
  • Which Democratic congress members were being courted for this bill
#2: No Democratic members of the House of Representatives, AFAIK.

Senators: Along with ... [Joe] Manchin [W.V.], the meeting was attended by Democratic Sens. Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Ron Wyden (Ore.), Michael F. Bennet (Colo.), Gary Peters (Mich.), Maggie Hassan (N.H.), Christopher A. Coons (Del.), Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Thomas R. Carper (Del.) and Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.). Sen. Angus King, a Maine independent who caucuses with Democrats, also attended.

From the AmazonFakeNewsWashingtonPost.

• Helpful
Reactions: insaneoctane
Republicans fret over tax bill's unpopularity
Republican lawmakers are concerned about how their tax bill is being viewed by the public and say they need to do a better job of selling it to middle-class and low-income voters.

A CBS News poll conducted last week found that 53 percent of people nationwide disapprove of the GOP tax bill and only 35 percent approve.

While support for the bill was strong among self-identified Republicans, according to the poll, 52 percent of independents and a whopping 84 percent of Democrats disapprove of the legislation.

• Funny
Reactions: T34ME and Dr. J
GOP tax negotiators hammering out final bill details - CNNPolitics
The timeline: GOP leaders and negotiators plan to have a final agreement nailed down by the end of this week. The Senate is now expected to vote first -- with a final vote as soon as December 18, according to two people involved, though there is a possibility that could slip to the next day. The chamber would go first in order to address any budget rule issues that crop up before the House acts. The House would then follow the day after. The goal, according to multiple aides directly involved, is to have the final proposal passed and on President Donald Trump's desk to sign by December 20. The timing on this all remains fluid. But that timeline has been the goal for more than a week and remains so Monday.

I just did both, took no time at all. A little tip for calling your representatives, if you have a hard time getting through to their DC number (area code 202) then look up the number for their local office in your area, and you'll have a much better chance at least getting through to their voice mail, if not speaking to someone directly.