TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ideas on how to secure a EV parking space while waiting for MX

Discussion in 'Model X' started by QQQ, Aug 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. QQQ

QQQ Member

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I'm moving to a new construction condo towards the end of the year and in order to get an EV parking spot with a charger I need to own an EV. Unfortunately, I have a US 11,xxx reservation number for MX and although I live in SF, it looks pretty certain that I won't get mine this year (and I currently have an ICE sedan). Not sure if there is a good solution here but wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion. I suppose I could ditch my current car and lease an EV but I have never leased a car before and not sure if there's a short term leasing that would fit my need. Living in the city, I'm mindful of the number of parking spots I need to maintain so timing of when I get a new vehicle and get rid of existing one will matter as well (although not critical - more for convenience). [/COLOR]

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Welcome to TMC!

Tip: you'd probably be better served asking your question in the local California section so you'll reach existing owners with other models.

3. davewill

davewill Member

Buy a dummy inlet and mount on the side of your existing car. Tell them it's a conversion. :biggrin:

4. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

How will they handle all the people who get EVs later? Seems like a very odd policy. Anyways, if you really need to show proof, I'd just buy a Chevy Spark or Leaf or some dirt cheap used EV and resell it after you've secured your spot.

5. Oil4AsphaultOnly

what jaguar said. Used leafs are also readily available and should do well-enough in the NorCal climate until your MX arrives

6. TTT

TTT Member

Your order confirmation isn't sufficient?

7. tga

tga Supporting Member

There are websites that let people take over leases. You could find an EV with a few months left on the lease to assume.

8. sub

sub Active Member

I would look into the last 2 suggestions.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

It's not entirely clear, but why would you need an EV parking spot with a charger before you actually have your EV? Is it not possible to get the spot later once your Model X arrives?