TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ideas to improve seat and suspension comfort for California's crap freeways

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jun 13, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

So here are two ideas I've had this morning while bumping along the freeway on our nasty, nasty, poorly maintained concrete freeways:

1 - Have the driver's seat re-constructed by a high end upholstery shop. I have the next-gen leather seat - I'm thinking perhaps putting memory foam in the bottom cushion.

2 - Have a race shop build a custom suspension set-up geared more toward comfort and less toward sport. This would be a set of springs with lower rates, plus digressively valved shocks, such as Bilstein's PSS9 series. Digressive valving means a shock is softer over small bumps (such as expansion joints) while retaining damping over big hits.

• Like x 1
  2. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

And yes - I realize this would reduce the sporting nature of the car. And yes, I know I'm the same guy who posted several months ago about how I wish the P85+ suspension was still an option. But autopilot has completely changed my paradigm of driving pleasure.

3. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I think any solution to soften the small bumps would be much appreciated. It is disheartening to drive down even a recently paved road and still be jolting up and down with every little imperfection, even though the road looks smooth as glass.

I recently took a road trip where the city roads were much worse than than the ones in my city. My car performed so poorly on those roads, we were literally bouncing up down left right in our seats. I thought the car was going to fall apart.

4. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

You could make sure your tire pressure is at the lowest allowable PSI.

5. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I have 19s and air and have tire pressure set to 42psi. At 45 it feels like I'm riding on wood tires. At 42, slightly softer :)

6. K_style

K_style Member

Off topic but how is that we pay most tax $ in a highest populated state that has the shittest road there is.

• Like x 2
  7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Blow up seat donut. :D

8. K_style

K_style Member

I have this purple seat cushion.. better try it.

[​IMG]

9. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

I was just in the Fremont area for my factory tour and had rented a P90DL for while I was there. The roads were awful! Here in Colorado the roads can be bad, but it depends on the road.

But my view might be slightly skewed because the car had 21" tires, whereas my Tesla has 19". I think that was the biggest difference in the ride quality as both car had air suspension.

@K_style - I had a previous employer offer those for our desk chairs. Might be worth a try.

Thanks Erik

10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Do the Kardashian diet.
    Use a pillow

But, more seriously I do hope Tesla introduces adjustable suspension so you can choose comfort mode or sport mode.

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

The 21's most definitely ride much harder. I got a loaner with 19's and I was like "oooh, this is sweet!" But I still like my 21's...

12. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Off topic answer.....tell your elected officials to giving out free entitlements to everyone living here. Go drive in Nevada, their roads ROCK and they have NO state income tax.