TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Identify Tesla Connected to Wifi Router?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by travwill, Oct 14, 2015.

1. travwill

travwill Member

Haven't seen this before, but my Tesla in the garage has a full/great connection to Wifi it seems. It obviously also uses only 2.4ghz networks. I believe I know what IP it is as it and one other device are the only wireless 2.4 devices connected - BUT...

is there a way to ping the car or identify it otherwise. If I'm right it doesn't use any identifier/name at all. I can just seen what IP it is assigned.

2. stevem

stevem Member

If you go to your wifi settings, and then on the top left (to the right of wifi) there is a little i in a circle. If you touch that it will display the mac address of the wifi module, then you have to go to your access point and look for that one connected.

3. travwill

travwill Member

thanks, guess that makes sense that the provide MAC for those that limit to certain connections.

4. TMS

TMS Member

There is a great network app called "Fing", available on iOS and Android. It will show you all devices connected to your network, including the name of the device manufacturer. In Tesla's case, the WiFi device manufacturer is called: "Parrot".

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. msnow

msnow Active Member

Just installed Fing. Nice little app but it's not picking up the Tesla either by the manufacturer name, IP, or MAC. I made sure my iPhone and the car are on the same wireless network but no go.