Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Identify TPMS type from stem only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to tell whether an official Tesla TPMS sensor is Bluetooth or the older type just from the stem (or some other way for one on a wheel with tire, without actually running it on the car)?

I bought a 2021 M3 Aero wheel and winter tire package. Since I don't want to put them on for a month or so, I opted to pick them up loose from the service center and swap them myself, at home, when the time comes.

I went to pick them up last Friday but as they were bringing them out, they said they noticed they had the older TPMS sensors and it would take a few days to install Bluetooth ones. Today it went back again and picked up the four wheels/tires (in plastic tire bags). When I got home and inspected them, I found that all four tires were mounted on the rims for left hand side rotation. I contacted them and they said to come back tomorrow with two wheels and they would swap me for ones mounted for right hand side rotation.

Now, I've realised that it would be nice to be able to verify for myself that they actually have Bluetooth TPMS sensors, so I won't have to deal with more service center visits and tire changes a month from now when it's cold out.

So, is there a way to do this by the shape, color, etc. of the stem or some other way? The ones on the new wheels look identical to the ones on my car but I don't know if older sensors would too.