Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot in the P100D with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you ever seen one of those Idiots in a Model S in the fast lane with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles? Well it turns out that guy is now me:-( The digital turn signal noise is very quiet. I suspect its that way to not wake the driver while using Autopilot. In addition the turn signal icon on the dash is very small, so I don't notice it. OK I'm not that old but the damn thing is making me feel that way. Wife was following me last week and gave me a hard time which was deserved for driving with it on for three miles. If its just me I will get hearing aids and new glasses...... Let the abuse commence:)

Have you ever seen one of those Idiots in a Model S in the fast lane with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles? Well it turns out that guy is now me:-( The digital turn signal noise is very quiet. I suspect its that way to not wake the driver while using Autopilot. In addition the turn signal icon on the dash is very small, so I don't notice it. OK I'm not that old but the damn thing is making me feel that way. Wife was following me last week and gave me a hard time which was deserved for driving with it on for three miles. If its just me I will get hearing aids and new glasses...... Let the abuse commence:)

You have a quiet turn signal? I want one! My October 2015 build turn signal is loud enough to be heard over an ICE muscle car engine.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
OK then it's official, I might need hearing aids and Bifocals. Anyone have other solutions? Maybe it's because I always have the stereo on 6....

My December 2016 plays a loud annoying castanet. Even so, I have driven for an embarrassingly long time with a blinker on.

Here's a solution (some free IP for Tesla or...):
If a turn signal is on for more than a period of time or distance (i.e. not stopped at a long signal), alert the driver (e.g. crank up the sound of the blinker) and/or turn off the blinker. Unfortunately, the preferred latter implementation requires an electric mechanism (probably just a cheap solenoid) to actually move the turn signal stalk back to the neutral position...a little more expensive than just a pure software solution.

My December 2016 plays a loud annoying castanet. Even so, I have driven for an embarrassingly long time with a blinker on.

Here's a solution (some free IP for Tesla or...):
If a turn signal is on for more than a period of time or distance (i.e. not stopped at a long signal), alert the driver (e.g. crank up the sound of the blinker) and/or turn off the blinker. Unfortunately, the preferred latter implementation requires an electric mechanism (probably just a cheap solenoid) to actually move the turn signal stalk back to the neutral position...a little more expensive than just a pure software solution.

Well at least I am not the only one. I do wish like many things I get set the volume level in settings. Or maybe not listen to music with a heavy beat. I used to listen to the news but now that they constantly talk about "He who shall not be named" tweets from the day before I refuse to listen to the news......

Reactions: Btrflyl8e
Oh in Seattle they SIT in the left lane doing 60 protecting others from breaking the law.......Oh and some people turn on their right blinker and turn left.....Or just sit at a green light and text....

Reactions: mrElbe
In addition the turn signal icon on the dash is very small, so I don't notice it.
I agree. I think the turn signal "user-interface" could use some work.

The icon should be larger and the blinking more obvious. This would help with times when you don't notice the blinker sound (e.g., loud music playing).

The flashing white arrow on a bright green background is not very visually noticeable. And the icon is rather small, as you say.

Better yet, if it was my design, the entire left or right edge of the dash display would glow/flash green (the same way the entire edge glows white with AP when you're supposed to put your hands back on the wheel).

That might seem obnoxious... but I think that is exactly how the blinker indicator should be. Instead of thinking creatively, they emulated a "tiny lightbulb behind a window" like you get in a regular dashboard.

I have the same issue with my 2017 S90D. Sometimes I forget the signal is on because it is so quiet, and while the small, circular green icon is artistic, its not very useful - only the inner portion flashes, so it can be hard to notice unless you watch it (and the Tels icon's taillights do not have a huge intensity difference between on and off, either. I also own a Chev Volt, and if you leave the turn signal on for more than 30 seconds or so while driving, without moving the steering wheel significantly (as if changing lanes or turning), a "Turn Signal On" warning flashes on the main screen. I'm sure it's a simple software change, since I'd guess GM spends the minimum possible on their tech features LOL