TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Idiot in the P100D with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P85D, Feb 26, 2017.

1. P85D

P85D Member

Have you ever seen one of those Idiots in a Model S in the fast lane with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles? Well it turns out that guy is now me:-( The digital turn signal noise is very quiet. I suspect its that way to not wake the driver while using Autopilot. In addition the turn signal icon on the dash is very small, so I don't notice it. OK I'm not that old but the damn thing is making me feel that way. Wife was following me last week and gave me a hard time which was deserved for driving with it on for three miles. If its just me I will get hearing aids and new glasses...... Let the abuse commence:)

• Funny x 12
  2. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

You have a quiet turn signal? I want one! My October 2015 build turn signal is loud enough to be heard over an ICE muscle car engine.

• Funny x 1
  3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

I was talking with my wife while she was driving ours (2016 facelift), and I could hear the turn signal over the phone. Of course, everything else in the car is so quiet....

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

I think that episode counts as spousal abuse.

• Funny x 1
  5. P85D

P85D Member

OK then it's official, I might need hearing aids and Bifocals. Anyone have other solutions? Maybe it's because I always have the stereo on 6....

6. Haxster

Haxster Member

My December 2016 plays a loud annoying castanet. Even so, I have driven for an embarrassingly long time with a blinker on.

Here's a solution (some free IP for Tesla or...):
    If a turn signal is on for more than a period of time or distance (i.e. not stopped at a long signal), alert the driver (e.g. crank up the sound of the blinker) and/or turn off the blinker. Unfortunately, the preferred latter implementation requires an electric mechanism (probably just a cheap solenoid) to actually move the turn signal stalk back to the neutral position...a little more expensive than just a pure software solution.

7. P85D

P85D Member

True that might be, but she is generally right, and in this case definitely right, and we have been married 30 years so well, ya know, I take it.......

8. P85D

P85D Member

Well at least I am not the only one. I do wish like many things I get set the volume level in settings. Or maybe not listen to music with a heavy beat. I used to listen to the news but now that they constantly talk about "He who shall not be named" tweets from the day before I refuse to listen to the news......

• Like x 1
  9. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Well, it's still better than the inverse.....where no one uses their turn signals to change lanes, turn etc - like where I travel (Brampton Ontario - you know who you are) through to get to work.
    But it's still pretty "old guy" to leave it on........

10. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Hey, in Italy if you are in the fast lane you must have your left blinker on indicating that you are passing. So just chalk it up to an Italian moment.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Yeah. I find that I can hear much better with my bifocals on. :)

12. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Is that why I saw so many cars straddling the lane lines on the Autostradas when I was there? :)

13. Haxster

Haxster Member

Here in the US, many (maybe most?) drivers don't seem to understand the concept of "passing on the left" or "slower traffic keep right". They just go whatever speed they want in whatever lane suits them.

14. P85D

P85D Member

Oh in Seattle they SIT in the left lane doing 60 protecting others from breaking the law.......Oh and some people turn on their right blinker and turn left.....Or just sit at a green light and text....

• Like x 1
  15. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

16. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I think older drivers have a tendency to keep their blinkers on, not because they are daft, but because they aren't hearing the blinker clicks. There should be an option for blinker click volume for folks who tend to miss that.

• Like x 2
  17. Pezpunk

Pezpunk Member

the signal indicator in my P100DL (September build) is the quietest i've ever had in a car. my mother in law commented on it just yesterday, in fact.

18. wattsup

wattsup Member

I agree. I think the turn signal "user-interface" could use some work.

The icon should be larger and the blinking more obvious. This would help with times when you don't notice the blinker sound (e.g., loud music playing).

The flashing white arrow on a bright green background is not very visually noticeable. And the icon is rather small, as you say.

Better yet, if it was my design, the entire left or right edge of the dash display would glow/flash green (the same way the entire edge glows white with AP when you're supposed to put your hands back on the wheel).

That might seem obnoxious... but I think that is exactly how the blinker indicator should be. Instead of thinking creatively, they emulated a "tiny lightbulb behind a window" like you get in a regular dashboard.

• Like x 3
  19. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

I have the same issue with my 2017 S90D. Sometimes I forget the signal is on because it is so quiet, and while the small, circular green icon is artistic, its not very useful - only the inner portion flashes, so it can be hard to notice unless you watch it (and the Tels icon's taillights do not have a huge intensity difference between on and off, either. I also own a Chev Volt, and if you leave the turn signal on for more than 30 seconds or so while driving, without moving the steering wheel significantly (as if changing lanes or turning), a "Turn Signal On" warning flashes on the main screen. I'm sure it's a simple software change, since I'd guess GM spends the minimum possible on their tech features LOL

20. AzEd

AzEd Member

My 2004 GMC Yukon XL has a "TURN SIGNAL ON" alarm that increases the signal volume after 3/4 mile and displays a message on the DIC (Driver Information Center). I've often wondered why Tesla did not include this feature, it seems like a simple thing to do, very useful and hard to ignore.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1