Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With delivery right around the corner I need an Idiot List of all the ways I may damage or disable my X. I just can't comprehend all the threads about ways people have damaged their X, some within hours of delivery after waiting for 2 years.

This is not to call anyone an Idiot, but rather to prevent making the same mistakes that others have already learned from. I think I may cry if I smash my FWD in to the garage.

Reactions: F123456 and SSD420
Be careful with auto GPS garage door opening. My Garage door was open, and while aligning my X, pulling forward, I triggered the GPS opening signal which caused the door to begin closing (door openers only have a single signal to move in the opposite state). The door closed on the very top of the X as I began to backed in. No sensors on the top of the rear hatch to forewarn. No structural damage. A little touch up paint and buffing clear coat. I turned off the GPS auto opening, and do so manually. No other issues, I have found.

Recently in Washington DC and parallel parking, I disabled the Auto drivers door, since in some cases traffic could be close to the parked cars. I would recommend turning off while parking in city streets.

• Don't rely on FWD's ability to detect an obstacles on top especially any protrusions.
  • Depending upon your usage scenario, it would be prudent to keep the auto present forward door option disabled. It could open in unpredictable scenarios and hit something or someone. (specially when parallel parked on narrow streets)
  • Please adjust the rear trunk door opening height to a low that does not hit anything in your garage.
  • Please be aware that the Autopilot does not work for lane merge scenarios and do not use AP on surface roads. (always be ready to take control)
  • When using auto lane change, please ensure clearance. AP is not designed to auto detect clearance.

[QUOTE="sukhi, post: 1564118, member: 44257"
  • When using auto lane change, please ensure clearance. AP is not designed to auto detect clearance.
[/QUOTE]
Isn't auto lane change by design is required to check for cars in the lane change area and possibly wait before executing lane change. That's what I recall from the previous presentations or website material and test drive narrative.i may be mistaken though:/
If not then it kinda misses the point of being "auto" for the most part.

i think I may cry if I smash my FWD in to the garage.
I thought about this long and hard, measured once ..measured twice ..measured the thousandth time. Bought pro tape with 9 feet free standing height to measure for the 1001th time. Read @ohmman 's thread over and over again. Simulated that the X is parked by holding my hands up in X FWD formation and see if it could hit something. Then cringed hard at the "FWD crunch" thread.
Eventually.. I contacted my trusted garage door man and in 9 hrs work begins to raise my garage obstruction rails and opener from 88" to 106" vertical clearance and get rid of the center rail with a liftmaster 8500 with an internet gateway for me to nerd out, all for a mere $800.
Don't get falcon'D, give your X space to spread it's wings.
Wow that sounded lame but you get the idea.

Let's just say this alert made me a little nervous.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 11.14.06 PM.png

I thought about this long and hard, measured once ..measured twice ..measured the thousandth time. Bought pro tape with 9 feet free standing height to measure for the 1001th time. Read @ohmman 's thread over and over again. Simulated that the X is parked by holding my hands up in X FWD formation and see if it could hit something. Then cringed hard at the "FWD crunch" thread.
Eventually.. I contacted my trusted garage door man and in 9 hrs work begins to raise my garage obstruction rails and opener from 88" to 106" vertical clearance and get rid of the center rail with a liftmaster 8500 with an internet gateway for me to nerd out, all for a mere $800.
Don't get falcon'D, give your X space to spread it's wings.
Wow that sounded lame but you get the idea.

Did the same thing.. well maybe not the simulated FWD formation!!:p (perhaps some pictures of this would help others to execute it properly?) Am now very relaxed and not worried a bit about the FWD.. also love love love the quiet and smooth liftmaster 8500 operations... can hardly hear the door opening and closing. Waiting to get my internet gateway..so this nerd is complete!

Reactions: ssq
No it does not check. It auto steers to the new lane but you are responsible for checking ensuring clearance.
It can check blind spots but that's not enough for safe lane changing,

[QUOTE="sukhi, post: 1564118, member: 44257"
Isn't auto lane change by design is required to check for cars in the lane change area and possibly wait before executing lane change. That's what I recall from the previous presentations or website material and test drive narrative.i may be mistaken though:/
If not then it kinda misses the point of being "auto" for the most part.[/QUOTE]
it dies not

• Informative
No it does not check. It auto steers to the new lane but you are responsible for checking ensuring clearance.
Correct. However, if it does see something there, the lane change operation will not proceed. I've tried doing lane change before and found the car waiting for more clearance.

Basically, Tesla isn't ready to put their stamp of approval on lane change yet that it will work in all conditions. So, they won't guarantee that it will correctly make a lane change without crashing into another vehicle, even though it probably will avoid such a scenario 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: Topher
Did the same thing.. well maybe not the simulated FWD formation!!:p (perhaps some pictures of this would help others to execute it properly?) Am now very relaxed and not worried a bit about the FWD.. also love love love the quiet and smooth liftmaster 8500 operations... can hardly hear the door opening and closing. Waiting to get my internet gateway..so this nerd is complete!
Installation done this morning, what an amazing opener, I rarely am this satisfied with something so mundane. My super awesome garage door guy gave me the internet gateway for free! Great piece of mind too with the added benefits of battery backup, app based notifications and control, ability to hook up a camera and link it with these notifications for extra security, a garage rail "deadbolt" to lock the door for extra security and of course no main center rail for those X-wings to be free.
Idiot list entry 1: Install the liftmaster 8500!

Reactions: WABarb and Jon
Another one to add to the list on the doors:

The front doors swing out fully if they "detect" no obstructions. However, be careful when opening against a curb. I pulled into a parking spot the other day which happened to have a pretty high curb and the door opened full swing. Luckily, there was a centimeter or so space otherwise I would have had a nice scratch on the bottom of the door.

• Informative
The blind spot warning is ultrasonic sensor based, not radar based. So, for all practical purposes, there is no blind spot warning in Model X/S ... Oh, the ventilating seats are also practically useless. The heated seat/steering wheel are great though!

• Informative
When you turn things on, be sure to check for a customization button that will appear after "on" is clicked.

I turned on the summon option, but didn't realize I need to adjust some things due to my garage specifics. Foolishly thought it would work "out of the box".

If not then it kinda misses the point of being "auto" for the most part.
On Model S, I would almost trust Autopilot enough to not do a shoulder check. But there isn't rearward facing radar so it can't see vehicles charging up behind you in the lane you're about to move into, so you could inadvertently cut someone off or get rear-ended if you don't make sure the lane is clear yourself.

• Informative
I agree. What's the point?

To change the lane in my car I put a tiny bit of downward pressure on my right or left pinky finger. The car slowly drifts into the next lane. The very nature of cars to drive straight means it completes the lane change when I release the pinky finger pressure.:)

Another one to add to the list on the doors:

The front doors swing out fully if they "detect" no obstructions. However, be careful when opening against a curb. I pulled into a parking spot the other day which happened to have a pretty high curb and the door opened full swing. Luckily, there was a centimeter or so space otherwise I would have had a nice scratch on the bottom of the door.

i second this. i had to grab the door as a biker was riding past. i've had to grab the door quite a few times actually. also, as i'm sure has been mentioned many times, its very easy to 'fat finger' the key fob. i've opened the FWDs several times trying to open the front door/doors.