Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Model S, I would almost trust Autopilot enough to not do a shoulder check. But there isn't rearward facing radar so it can't see vehicles charging up behind you in the lane you're about to move into, so you could inadvertently cut someone off or get rear-ended if you don't make sure the lane is clear yourself.
Having learnt that early on with the Model S, I noticed first with Model S and then with the X after the most recent software update that the car wouldn't change lane when on autosteer unless there was sufficient clearance (like I could see the front wheels of the vehicle behind me in that lane). The lines changed from solid to dashed after there was a safe distance. Maybe TM improved the feature. However, I don't know how it will work if another car would move into that space while my car is about to change lanes. It's not a scenario I run into every day in my commute.

Having learnt that early on with the Model S, I noticed first with Model S and then with the X after the most recent software update that the car wouldn't change lane when on autosteer unless there was sufficient clearance (like I could see the front wheels of the vehicle behind me in that lane). The lines changed from solid to dashed after there was a safe distance. Maybe TM improved the feature. However, I don't know how it will work if another car would move into that space while my car is about to change lanes. It's not a scenario I run into every day in my commute.
Yeah, I mean, if there is a vehicle within the 2m (?) radius of the vehicle, the ultrasonic sensors will see it and the Model S won't change lanes. So in this way it is a sort-of substitute for shoulder checking. However, if there is another car roaring up from behind which is too far away for the car to "see" but will be in the way as soon as the Model S starts to change lanes, that's where this is an issue. There is no way the Model S with the current sensor suite can see this coming. So, not quite a 100% substitute for a good ol' over-the-shoulder and glance at the mirror. Yet. ;)

I think a good rule of thumb is if you're relying on some automatic feature on a Model S/3/X that there will be a day that it screws up, and bites you.

Automatic garage door closing will close on your car
Automatic door locking will lock you out (happened to an uber driver and it was uberly funny).
Automatic lift gate will open when you meant to open the frunk (happened to me, and it was not funny)
The accelerate to pass will at the worst moment choose to accelerate
The automatic opening doors will open when you don't want them.
Even the automatic opening of the garage door will bite you when you forget something, and come back only to have to close the garage door again.
The summons will sometimes screw up.

Everything that says automatic has some risk associated it. As long as you're aware of the risk of enabling a feature then by all means enable it. It really just comes down to risk vs. reward. On most of these I don't use simply because they're not worth the reward. I'm glad my Model S doesn't have auto opening door. I really don't want to end up like Hodor from GoT from the psychological punishment of having to hold the door.

Don't open your FWDs and garage door at the same time. The FWDs will see open space above and open fully. The garage door mechanism will then move and hit the edge of the FWDs.

If I trigger the power rear hatch door on my Mercedes GL450 at the same time as my garage door, there is a good chance of collision. My solution is to not do that.

• Funny
Reactions: F123456