TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Idiot Moments with a Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by S4WRXTTCS, Jun 6, 2015.

1. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#1 S4WRXTTCS, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    What are some of your favorite "idiot" moments?

I thought I had read enough on these forums, and elsewhere about the quirks that I figured I'd be saved from them.

But Nope.

On day one I went to my garage to pull the HPWC cord out, but it wasn't turning white. I'd hit the switch and it would start charging again and so I'd push it again. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't releasing. Then it downed on me that I didn't have the key. It wasn't going to let me mess with it without the key. I kinda wish it had a voice like Kit that would tell me to bugger off.

I think I'm going to disable all the auto-present, auto-lock because when it's in my garage I don't want anything locked. I also don't want the key nearby since I believe it causes extra power drain if it's within range. With those on walking around in the garage with the key drove it bunkers.

I'm about to set off to go supercharge it and hopefully no one is there too witness my first attempt. If I manage that then I'll level up and I'll try the Chademo charger. I heard that takes the most getting used to.

Awesome car if you can call that it. I'm not sure what you'd call it. Calling it a car seems to do it disservice. I'm a little torn on my preferred way of driving it on Hwy's, and freeways. On the one hand the throttle/regen control are top notch, but on the other hand the TACC is pretty amazing when it stops behind someone. Sure you can't and should never trust it entirely. But, it's extremely tempting considering our freeways are 70mph or 0-10mph. Often just a few miles from each other.

2. murphyS85

murphyS85 Member

Create a driver profile called Garage and configure it with handle presentation and auto lock turned off and the seat moved back to make it easier to exit the car.

3. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

OH, that's the ticket.

Now I'll have three driver profiles

Drive/Normal
    Exit (I have this, but I haven't used it)
    Garage

Or I might do as you suggested and put exit and garage into one.

But, that definitely does solve it. Thanks.

4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Clever idea.

5. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Indeed. OP should now rename this thread "What's your brilliant Tesla Tip of the Day?"!

6. Half Dollar Bill

Half Dollar Bill Traveller, teacher, poet, accountant

If you're worried about power drain, you might want to turn your home AC setting up while your car is powering it :)
    Oh wait, you meant HPWC. Yea, sorry, it was too good to pass up.

7. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Haha, yeah that's not what I meant to put. I meant the HPWC.

8. kevinf311

kevinf311 Member

My idiot moment happened not long ago, actually.

I was in a hurry and hopped in to back out of my garage and the car started beeping at me. I was like, "What? What do you want?"

I had forgotten to unplug :rolleyes: So my tune changed and I apologized for snapping at the car when it was just trying to help. Not that the car has the capacity to care.

9. DJung

DJung Member

Was in a rush, ignored the charge port open warning on the dash until I got onto the main road. Caught my error right before I got onto the freeway. Had to pull over on the side of the busy road to close my charge port door.

Was a big facepalm moment. :redface:

10. mmccord

mmccord Member

Capacity to care is coming in a software update later this year.

11. rnguy001

rnguy001 Member

tried to turn on my windshield wiper for the first time while on the road... accidentally put it in neutral..

12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

They said it was coming last year. When I called to complain about the delay, they said "Whatever" and hung up.

#artisticlicense

13. Electrical_Eng

I did this to when I had a P85D loaner. My ICE has the wiper control where the drive selector is on the MS. I wonder how many times I will do this once I get the P85D.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about that. No harm done so not a major face palm moment IMO.
    While standing in my front yard I once saw an ICE car driving down my block with a gas station nozzle and 10 ft of hose attached stuck in the fuel filler hole. Incredible as it may sound, the driver must have filled their tank, paid, and forgot to remove the nozzle before driving away, ripping the hose out of the gas pump and not being aware of what they had done. The closest gas station was almost a mile away. One of my neighbors was also in his front yard (we were doing some gardening) and he saw the car too. We just stared at each other, speechless.

True story.

Now that is a major face palm.

15. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

For the first week I owned my Tesla I would occasionally look down for the fuel level to see if I should stop at the gas station I was passing.

(bows) :scared:

16. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

I think the new Tesla's, the charge port closes on its own if you drive off with it open.

17. jepicken

jepicken VIN: 80322

I've done that 3 or 4 times already myself, including once today. When you live in Phoenix, where it only rains maybe 15 times a year, it's easy to forget how to control your wipers!

18. Chuq

Chuq Member

#18 Chuq, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    It's not like it is a safety hazard like it would be with an ICE car!

19. David99

David99 Active Member

I was convinced something was wrong as my car just wouldn't auto lock when I walked away. I double checked the settings and it was turned on. It went on for days. Very frustrating. Finally I found that I left my second key inside the car in a small bag! All this time someone could have just walked up, and driven the car away. :-o

20. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

this one takes the cake.