Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot of the week (is it just me?) and the Kind People of Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just this last week I had an interesting experience and in seeking validation of my stupidity (or at least good company in my stupidity) I thought I might share some light hearted tales of idiocracy for the weekend...

On a work trip to Denver I rented a ICE... a perfectly normal Kia something. As night draws in I drive from the office to a team building event of "Escape the room"... Fun was had for a couple of hours and as the night comes to an end I do what normal people do...I pat down pockets... phone, wallet, keys. Wait Keys. Where are my (actual) keys? Ensuing is a fantastically ironic team activity of searching for my keys in a Escape room...

Now fortunately a colleague who should absolutely get the "Lateral thinker of the year award" (or some other corporate BS name) found them... In the Kia... Outside in the parking lot. Engine running lights on and suitably warned to the temperature of a Swedish Sauna located on (insert tropical island of choice here). At mid-day.

Of course this reverse carbon offsetting has earned me plenty of inventive and rightly deserved nicknames... So to the question... Has anyone else just get out of ICE's and walk away like you do with a Tesla?!

Also, props to the Kind People of Denver where it IS possible to leave a car running unlocked and nicely heated for a couple of hours unattended and no one touches it... Now it could be because its, well, a Kia... but on the other hand it does question the requirement for the climate control pre-heat on the MS/MX when you could just leave an ICE running...

You are not the first. It is a fairly common problem judging by the number of posts.

I have walked away from a running ICE a few times myself, but caught myself right away.

GSP

So to the question... Has anyone else just get out of ICE's and walk away like you do with a Tesla?!
No, but to be fair, my Roadster doesn't let you do that.

On the other hand, I also incessantly pat my pockets for keys, phone, wallet, etc., so I don't lose them. Including once while driving down the freeway. Had a small panic attack for a few moments, until I realized that the keys were in the ignition... Probably shouldn't admit that.

• Funny
Reactions: NicoV and infidel82
Just this last week I had an interesting experience and in seeking validation of my stupidity (or at least good company in my stupidity) I thought I might share some light hearted tales of idiocracy for the weekend...

On a work trip to Denver I rented a ICE... a perfectly normal Kia something. As night draws in I drive from the office to a team building event of "Escape the room"... Fun was had for a couple of hours and as the night comes to an end I do what normal people do...I pat down pockets... phone, wallet, keys. Wait Keys. Where are my (actual) keys? Ensuing is a fantastically ironic team activity of searching for my keys in a Escape room...

Now fortunately a colleague who should absolutely get the "Lateral thinker of the year award" (or some other corporate BS name) found them... In the Kia... Outside in the parking lot. Engine running lights on and suitably warned to the temperature of a Swedish Sauna located on (insert tropical island of choice here). At mid-day.

Of course this reverse carbon offsetting has earned me plenty of inventive and rightly deserved nicknames... So to the question... Has anyone else just get out of ICE's and walk away like you do with a Tesla?!

Also, props to the Kind People of Denver where it IS possible to leave a car running unlocked and nicely heated for a couple of hours unattended and no one touches it... Now it could be because its, well, a Kia... but on the other hand it does question the requirement for the climate control pre-heat on the MS/MX when you could just leave an ICE running...
Yep.. Done that a few times. :)

I hear ya loud and clear. I am in a rental waiting for repairs to my Tesla and have had to be reminded by my husband to turn off the ICE when I get out! I just feign that I am checking my parking job on the outside before shutting the car off. :p However, my experience has also been that I'm less likely to forget to turn the car off because the IC engine is so LOUD compared to the Tesla. It's gotten longer to get used to that than it has to remembering to turn the car engine off.

I *really* miss preconditioning the car remotely. There doesn't seem to be that option in the rental I have and these cold mornings of Colorado make me wish I had my Tesla back.

People are nice in CO but chances are, you were parked in a nice part of town. ;)

Another serious concern is getting used to the "hold" feature on Teslas and forgetting that the ICE you're in doesn't hold :eek:

Or forgetting that the ICE you're driving doesn't have adaptive cruise control.

BTW, I had a loaner MX with the automatic electric front doors. After a single day of spoiling, it made it hard for me to re-acclimate to my "primitive" MS. After a week, I still miss this auto-open and auto-close feature. Pulling the door open and then leaning over to pull it closed is so last-century.;)

Another vote for grabbing the stalk trying to put it into park or drive in pretty much every other car I drive and I've left the ignition on a few times in our spare car.

Our spare car is a Prius that is the thing we take when we are going to the city or any sketch place where we don't want to take my car or the wife's Audi. See also DogCar, Costco car, etc.