Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot trying to unplug my car during Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people think the taxpayers are funding all the charging stations out there. Maybe he wanted to be a dick and unplug you. I had comments a couple times from people “must be nice my tax dollars paying for your free power”. I usually “tune” them up by correcting their thoughts on that.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Clicking the release button on a charge cable in a locked car will interupt charging but also light the status light, right? So you can see how full/empty the car is?
Aside from the obvious... If it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH!
If you watch the video fullscreen, all the way through, this guy was seriously tugging on the cable, multiple times. That to me is an attempt to remove the cable, not just check the rate of flash.
Oh, and one more time for good measure... If it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH!

Didn't watch the video. Not saying this applies to this case:
There are some scenarios an owner, at a full charge spot, could be desperate to charge and would like to notify other owners that their car might be topped up soon or already has been for some hours... In my experience most relevant at a destination, not SuC.

Didn't watch the video. Not saying this applies to this case:
There are some scenarios an owner, at a full charge spot, could be desperate to charge and would like to notify other owners that their car might be topped up soon or already has been for some hours... In my experience most relevant at a destination, not SuC.
Well.... the problem with that hypothetical scenario is that:
1st - You would have absolutely no idea of their SOC, or what they need to continue, let alone if their car might be topped off soon, or already is.
2nd - If their car is already full, and as such not charging anymore, I don't believe they would get a "charging interrupted" notification. (This, I'll have to test.)

There's a sense of entitlement everyone seems to have that says "it's more important for me to charge right now, than it is you". That may be the case in some scenarios, but without knowing the other person's situation, we can't make that call.

This is why I highly recommend everyone use PlugShare; even at Superchargers! That way, if truly need-be, you can contact the other person via the app and make an arrangement that works for both parties, amicably.

That was why I wondered if a push at the release button lighted the status light? It flashes really fast at a low SOC and slow at a high SOC, right?
Pressing the button interrupts the charging, the ring will turn blue for a moment while the charging is reset, then, only if charging restarts, it will begin flashing green again.

Here's the problem with this, however:

1. You are messing with someone else's vehicle before you even know the status of their vehicle.
2. This could unnecessarily concern someone to return to the station when not required to.
3. If you do this at anything other than a Tesla Supercharger, or Tesla HPWC, you run a high risk of the charging not resuming.
4. I really don't think anyone can determine the exact SOC based off of the flash rate. It is just not that finite of a difference.
5. Even if you could determine their exact SOC based on the flash rate, who are we to decide that they have received their fair rations and should move? Again, we don't know their specific situation.

Trust me, I do see both sides of this. And if I were in very bad situation, and I had already checked PlugShare, and there were no other charging options, and I couldn't locate the owners, then maybe I would resort to this, but only in an emergency.

Pressing the button interrupts the charging, the ring will turn blue for a moment while the charging is reset, then, only if charging restarts, it will begin flashing green again.

Here's the problem with this, however:

1. You are messing with someone else's vehicle before you even know the status of their vehicle.
2. This could unnecessarily concern someone to return to the station when not required to.
3. If you do this at anything other than a Tesla Supercharger, or Tesla HPWC, you run a high risk of the charging not resuming.
4. I really don't think anyone can determine the exact SOC based off of the flash rate. It is just not that finite of a difference.
5. Even if you could determine their exact SOC based on the flash rate, who are we to decide that they have received their fair rations and should move? Again, we don't know their specific situation.

Trust me, I do see both sides of this. And if I were in very bad situation, and I had already checked PlugShare, and there were no other charging options, and I couldn't locate the owners, then maybe I would resort to this, but only in an emergency.

What emergency? In what world is it ok to resort to this in any fashion?

I went the totally opposite direction in the other thread where the guy left his Tesla overnight at a public level 2... absolute shame on us as owners in my personal opinion. Should he have been unplugged though? Hell no, don't touch someone else's car.

But if you're at a supercharger, and you're a tesla owner, and the stalls are full... looks like you're waiting your turn.

Or if you're charging slower for whatever reason... take it up with Tesla, don't sleight the other guy.

Don't touch my car or mess with my charging situation (tesla to tesla).

Reactions: GreenT and JohnnyG
What emergency? In what world is it ok to resort to this in any fashion?

I went the totally opposite direction in the other thread where the guy left his Tesla overnight at a public level 2... absolute shame on us as owners in my personal opinion. Should he have been unplugged though? Hell no, don't touch someone else's car.

But if you're at a supercharger, and you're a tesla owner, and the stalls are full... looks like you're waiting your turn.

Or if you're charging slower for whatever reason... take it up with Tesla, don't sleight the other guy.

Don't touch my car or mess with my charging situation (tesla to tesla).
Well, if you read my 4 other posts in this thread, you'd see we're on the same page... "If it isn't yours, DON'T TOUCH!".

I was just giving a doomsday plausibility, because daktari was pretty adamant about there being some case in which it's alight.

My father was recently rushed to the Cleveland Clinic for a heart attack and stroke, which lead to immediate open heart surgery, which lead to his kidneys shutting down. I dropped and left in a hurry to get there. You can guarantee I would have tried every possible way to get someone's attention if I pulled in to charge on the way there and it was a full house.

That said, this is what I constitute as an "emergency". Not... "I'm late to meet my buds for pints at the pub, and the games about to start" ;)

Last edited:
I think the first car will drop to 90kW if they happen to be pulling more than 90kW, and the 2nd car gets the scraps.
Might be wrong about that, can't remember where I read it.

As far as I understand, there are 12 chargers working together in a Supercharger each capable of aprox 12 kW. They switch in groups of three because of three phase grid supply. The second car gets the minimum (3 chargers) which is 36 kW. Could be a little less in reality depending on voltage, temperature and other things. The first car would still get 108 kW.

I capture the data at a Supercharger recently that shows how they switch 36 kW steps which is 3 chargers on 3 phases.
how paring at Supercharging works