Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People parking next to me while charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here I am charging at 1015pm . There's 12 charging station here and about 5 cars charging. So I was here charging for about 10 minutes until this idiot comes park next ro me to charge. All these available stalls and wants to park next to me. I think it does say on the charger setting TIPS: something give spacing when charging using a b stalls. He gets a Tesla and doesn't understand that charging next ro someone will increase both cars time and lower the charging speed. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Don't these guys read their manuals.. I mean its there for a reason. To know and understand your car and other stuff to have knowledge.

When you said idiots charging, I thought it was something like this... I suppose it's possible that they've never seen a "head-in" supercharger. And yes, they are blocking the driving lane. Fortunately this is not a busy parking lot.
IMG-4018.jpg

Each stall can do 250kw regardless of how many cars are present.
Yes, but not all at the same time they can’t.

Each v3 supercharger cabinet (which feeds 4 pedestals) has a power rating of 350kva (approx. 350kw). Additionally, up to 7 cabinets can be connected together via a 500kw DC bus to share power among cabinets, sending it to wherever it’s needed, eliminating the “pairing” problem.

But overall site power limitations are still in effect. An 8-stall v3 supercharger station has an effective max output of ~700kw.

Yes, but not all at the same time they can’t.

Each v3 supercharger cabinet (which feeds 4 pedestals) has a power rating of 350kva (approx. 350kw). Additionally, up to 7 cabinets can be connected together via a 500kw DC bus to share power among cabinets, sending it to wherever it’s needed, eliminating the “pairing” problem.

But overall site power limitations are still in effect. An 8-stall v3 supercharger station has an effective max output of ~700kw.
The blog post from Tesla says something different. Here is another excerpt from the link I shared earlier. Has something changed?

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale products supports peak rates of up to 250kW per car.

The grid input is limited from what I understand to 350kw but there is battery storage of around 500kw and the cabinet can put out 1mw. 250lw per car. Yes the are scenarios of course where this will be reduced.

Last edited:
The blog post from Tesla says something different. Here is another excerpt from the link I shared earlier. Has something changed?
No, just marketing people doing their thing.

Faster Charging, No More Power Sharing
V3 is a completely new architecture for Supercharging. A new 1MW power cabinet with a similar design to our utility-scale products supports peak rates of up to 250kW per car.

The grid input is limited from what I understand to 350kw but there is battery storage of around 500kw and the cabinet can put out 1mw. 250lw per car. Yes the are scenarios of course where this will be reduced.

Grid input per cabinet = ~350kw. Plus a 575kw DC bus that can provide additional power from other underutilized cabinets, onsite solar/storage, etc. 350 + 575 = 925kw, which clearly got rounded up to "1MW" for the blog post.

But the overall site is still limited by the grid feed, transformer, etc. At most v3 sites if every single pedestal was requesting max power at the same time, each car would get about 85kw. Of course that rarely if ever happens...

Reactions: MP3Mike and Rocky_H
If there were 12 stalls and 5 were taken, that would leave 1 unshared set. Since it was dark, there’s a chance the person didn’t notice the unused set.
Most people who own Teslas don’t understand and don’t care about the technicalities of how supercharging works and if it’s a V2 or V3. The majority only charge on road trips, so they just care that their car is charging.
They see an open charging stall and pull in.
I noticed you were from Milpitas, CA. Enough said

I just came back attending CES @ Vegas. I had to charge at a V2 location. A group of cars came together , they were all friends so they wanted to park next to each other and chat while the car gets charged. Unfortunately they also parked next to my car and there were other chargers on the other side of a L shaped charging area which had many open slots so nobody had to share a V2 charger. I decided that instead of talking to them about charging etiquette, which will cost me 10 mins of time, I decided to move my car to the other side so that I could draw more power. Avoid getting into arguments while traveling- not worth it.

No, just marketing people doing their thing.

Grid input per cabinet = ~350kw. Plus a 575kw DC bus that can provide additional power from other underutilized cabinets, onsite solar/storage, etc. 350 + 575 = 925kw, which clearly got rounded up to "1MW" for the blog post.

But the overall site is still limited by the grid feed, transformer, etc. At most v3 sites if every single pedestal was requesting max power at the same time, each car would get about 85kw. Of course that rarely if ever happens...
Fair enough. It's much better design than V2 so can we agree it's not as big a deal if someone pulls up next to you vs two stalls down? 😂 . I think that's what I'm trying to convey is to worry less about someone pulling up next to you. If a site is very busy and for a continuously performance will certainly suffer.

I think what your trying to say is there isn't guaranteed 250kw for every single stall at the same time. That's true but the cars draw max power for such a short time it's usually not an issue. It is certainly possible though.

Reactions: ucmndd
So what I did was I stopped charging and moved to another stall

See, that's where you went wrong ... when you moved, you made his charging faster

You should have stayed there and switched on the heated seats, steering wheel, ac and anything else that could use power as you were adding it so that you'd stay there longer and slow him down for longer 🤣

I’m a public charging noob. I didn’t know most of this information. A lot of Tesla owners I encounter are pretty bad drivers. I think they just don’t give a F. They definitely aren’t on forums learning about optimal charging.
My guess is that the person didn't know. If you don't frequent Tesla sites there's no way to know and most people would assume it doesn't matter. A polite discussion probably would have gone a long way. Tesla could also put reminders up on the screen about charging etiquette in these situations, just like they do when you charge with a cold battery.

Reactions: PACEMD
When using V2 Superchargers, get used to gently explaining it. Most people are happy to learn that if they move their car over one spot, they'll charge twice as fast.
People used to be receptive but lately I've most often been met with blank stares and no action, I've also been told to mind my own F*@cking business. When my wife has tried to explain pairing to a man she often gets told she doesn't know what shes' talking about. We have always approached people with how it will benefit them, not how it impacts us, doesn't seem to matter.

People used to be receptive but lately I've most often been met with blank stares and no action, I've also been told to mind my own F*@cking business. When my wife has tried to explain pairing to a man she often gets told she doesn't know what shes' talking about. We have always approached people with how it will benefit them, not how it impacts us, doesn't seem to matter.
Sad. Not surprising, but sad.

I can't really understand anybody getting worked up about this. If it is such a big deal, move your car? More and more 'normal' people are buying a Tesla. If this bothers you now, I can't imagine what is going to happen after everyone picks up their price-cut M3 and Y and goes on a road trip. I hope those upset at others charging their vehicle find something more productive to focus their energy on.

I live in Oregon and when I was driving an ICE and waiting 45 mins in a Costco line to get gas (and not being able to pump it myself because that's the law), it took a good hour during peak times, but it was what it was! An extra few minutes added to your charging time isn't anything to get upset at another driver for. If anything, complain to Tesla and tell them to make them to upgrade all the chargers, address the LACK of superchargers, and to put up better signage to notify other drivers about how they can speed up everyone's charging by spacing out.

1/3 of the chargers I use don't have pairs adjacent to each other. Gotta actually read the labels and find open pairs. So sometimes you do have to park next to each other.

Some are like this:

1A, 1C, 1B, 1D... etc.

Makes it harder to explain to people.

If there are C and D stalls, it is a V3 site. So no pairing issues.

I can't really understand anybody getting worked up about this. If it is such a big deal, move your car? More and more 'normal' people are buying a Tesla. If this bothers you now, I can't imagine what is going to happen after everyone picks up their price-cut M3 and Y and goes on a road trip. I hope those upset at others charging their vehicle find something more productive to focus their energy on.

I live in Oregon and when I was driving an ICE and waiting 45 mins in a Costco line to get gas (and not being able to pump it myself because that's the law), it took a good hour during peak times, but it was what it was! An extra few minutes added to your charging time isn't anything to get upset at another driver for. If anything, complain to Tesla and tell them to make them to upgrade all the chargers, address the LACK of superchargers, and to put up better signage to notify other drivers about how they can speed up everyone's charging by spacing out.
Now when Costco gets into EV charging watch out!

Yeah, I keep seeing the "Don't park next to me!", but you can't be paired with the stalls on BOTH sides. So maybe that next one is part of the set on the other side.

And as @OxBrew was trying to reference, they are not always next to each other. There are several sites where all of the A stalls are in a row and then get to all of the B stalls, so the pairs may be three or four spaces apart.

Reactions: boulder.dude