TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Idle fee because Tesla Service left the car plugged in

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RDoc, Nov 8, 2018.

1. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I've never gotten an idle fee, but I did today. Dedham Tesla Service Center plugged my car in, without asking or telling me, and left it plugged in too long.

Since it was my first idle fee, Tesla waived the payment, but are threatening to stop my ability to Supercharge if I don't give them a credit card and that's my one freebie. I complained to Dedham and was told that if I got another idle fee, I could contact them and they would look into getting it waived. They have no way to remove it from my account record.

So the solution is that if a couple of years from now I get an idle fee, I should contact Dedham and they might ask Tesla to waive the fee. Right. :rolleyes:

We really like our car, but the Tesla company itself is moving down towards the Registry of Motor vehicles in my regard and respect.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Supporting Member

Having a payment method on file became mandatory when idle fees were introduced. I can't blame Tesla for requiring a CC on file as long as they're allowing people to run up debts. It is odd that the service center superchargers charge idle fees though. That seems like quite a glaring oversight in the programming department.

• Disagree x 1
  3. whitex

whitex Active Member

Maybe call Tesla back and tell them you don't want this time to be a freebee, you want to pay the idles fee and save the freebee for another time. You can tell them they can bill it direct to the Dedham service center, or you pay and bill the Dedham service center yourself, with an appropriate billing fee for your hassles.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 2
  4. croman

croman Active Member

What would make you happy? Propose that and then see what they do.

• Like x 1
  5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

I'm waiting for a disgruntled significant other to leave a car plugged in overnight....

• Funny x 2
  6. RDoc

RDoc S85D

What would make me happy would be to have the idle fee incident removed from my account. I did ask for that and was told they could put a request into the help desk but that they doubted it would make any difference.

7. whitex

whitex Active Member

Give them options maybe?
    1. Remove the idle fee from the account
    2. Add $100 supercharging credit to the account to cover future idle fee (since you have free supercharging, it will all go towards idle fees)
    3. 2 day P100D loaner at a location of your choosing
    4. Lunch with Elon ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. pdamski

pdamski Member

My understanding of the idle fees is that they are only generated if at least 1/2 of the charging stations available are in use. Is this correct? I also received said email.

9. djlott

djlott Member

So what happens when you don't have free supercharging? Service centers can just plug your car into their charging station and run up a bill at the pump without your authorization?

I don't get fanatical about too much but when someone spends my money for me without telling me? Yeah that'll do it.

10. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Correct. In this case, the station was pretty full when I got there and I expect all (or almost all) the cars were in for service or new ones awaiting delivery.

11. sharpgator

sharpgator Member

What a bunch of crap. I agree with you.

12. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not a bunch of crap. Just something that Tesla needs to work out.

Tough crowd.

13. sharpgator

sharpgator Member

It is a bunch of crap. It’s typical Tesla service which is non-existent. This is just one of those things you fix for a customer. Everybody knows they will not fix this because they will never call you back. It’s how they roll. When people ask me about my car, I tell them that the car is an 11 but the company is a 1.

• Like x 3
  14. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

Yup, it happened to me at Dedham too. It was earlier this year. I ignored it and it eventually got waived. No CC on my account either. There's no way I'm paying for their misuse of superchargers.

It really bothers me because the chargers were obviously busy, and I didn't need the charge. Don't they have a bunch of wall connectors or something?

15. Hota

Hota Member

I got charged an idle fee at Dedham as well dated the DAY BEFORE I TOOK DELIVERY of my Model 3!

I haven't bothered to get it waived because the last time I called, I was on hold for an hour.

Come on now....

• Informative x 2
  16. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

OP implied someone's first idle fee would be waived. The conspiracy theory therefore is, "They're putting idle fees on customer's cars so no-one actually gets their own freebie!"

So is this happening all over, or mainly in Dedham?

During the big push at the end of the last quarter, they were even parking delivery cars at the SC stalls; not even plugging them in. Like @Hota said, come on Tesla!

17. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

A wonderful quote I read years ago said, "Don't assume a conspiracy when mere incompetence will suffice."

• Like x 1
  18. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

I agree, the conspiracy line was really more of a joke. Should have put a :D in there...

19. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

Neither is acceptable. Both were exhibited.

It begs the question, if one can't trust the service with something as basic as charging your car then what do you do?