TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Idle fee

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Dude85D, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Dude85D

Dude85D Member

i just got new firmware today. I noticed every supercharger in so cal has $0.40 idle fee except Fountain Valley SC. Does anyone know why? Is it because there's valet service there?

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Last time I looked Harris Ranch in central CA didn't have an idle fee either. No valet service there. I'm speculating but likely those destinations want you to stick around and spend some money, without worrying about idle fees.

That doesn't explain why other sites with things to sell have idle fees: Tejon and Gustine come to mind. But possibly the property management there didn't realize it was negotiable, or didn't think it would matter.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Idle fees have nothing to do with what's for sale there. It should be imposed everywhere unless the site is less than 50% occupied when the charge is completed.
    Supercharger Idle Fee

4. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

That's the policy, true: "Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full once the charge session is complete." But I don't think they're updating the map for that in real time — maybe with 8.1. I'd draw a distinction between "idle fees for a site" and "idle fees for a particular charging session". The site seems to be fixed at either 40 cents or zero, while the 50% policy applies to the latter. That's my reading anyhow.

I haven't been there, but isn't Fountain Valley one of the busiest sites, almost always more than 50% occupied when the mall shops are open? Harris Ranch can get busy too. On the other hand I've been through Gustine twice when I was the only car present for the whole session. The map still showed a 40 cent idle fee.

5. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Harris Ranch has a built in "odor" fee that prevents excessive lingering....

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. larmor

larmor Active Member

Is the idle fee triggered when SC completely fills the battery or when there is enough to complete your trip? Regarding the latter, the reason is that sometimes weather factors can result is some discrepancy b/w the estimated range needed to complete your trip and more energy and range needed than anticipated.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

When you finish charging. In other words, when you reach whatever % charge you're set at. Nothing to do with what the navigation system says. Using the navigation is optional anyway.

• Like x 1
  8. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Something tells me that there will be more people now charging to 100% during dinner time.

• Informative x 1