Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last time I looked Harris Ranch in central CA didn't have an idle fee either. No valet service there. I'm speculating but likely those destinations want you to stick around and spend some money, without worrying about idle fees.

That doesn't explain why other sites with things to sell have idle fees: Tejon and Gustine come to mind. But possibly the property management there didn't realize it was negotiable, or didn't think it would matter.

Last time I looked Harris Ranch in central CA didn't have an idle fee either. No valet service there. I'm speculating but likely those destinations want you to stick around and spend some money, without worrying about idle fees.

That doesn't explain why other sites with things to sell have idle fees: Tejon and Gustine come to mind. But possibly the property management there didn't realize it was negotiable, or didn't think it would matter.
Idle fees have nothing to do with what's for sale there. It should be imposed everywhere unless the site is less than 50% occupied when the charge is completed.
Supercharger Idle Fee

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Idle fees have nothing to do with what's for sale there. It should be imposed everywhere unless the site is less than 50% occupied when the charge is completed.
Supercharger Idle Fee

That's the policy, true: "Idle fees apply to any car occupying a Supercharger if the station is at least 50% full once the charge session is complete." But I don't think they're updating the map for that in real time — maybe with 8.1. I'd draw a distinction between "idle fees for a site" and "idle fees for a particular charging session". The site seems to be fixed at either 40 cents or zero, while the 50% policy applies to the latter. That's my reading anyhow.

I haven't been there, but isn't Fountain Valley one of the busiest sites, almost always more than 50% occupied when the mall shops are open? Harris Ranch can get busy too. On the other hand I've been through Gustine twice when I was the only car present for the whole session. The map still showed a 40 cent idle fee.

Harris Ranch has a built in "odor" fee that prevents excessive lingering....

Is the idle fee triggered when SC completely fills the battery or when there is enough to complete your trip? Regarding the latter, the reason is that sometimes weather factors can result is some discrepancy b/w the estimated range needed to complete your trip and more energy and range needed than anticipated.

Is the idle fee triggered when SC completely fills the battery or when there is enough to complete your trip? Regarding the latter, the reason is that sometimes weather factors can result is some discrepancy b/w the estimated range needed to complete your trip and more energy and range needed than anticipated.
When you finish charging. In other words, when you reach whatever % charge you're set at. Nothing to do with what the navigation system says. Using the navigation is optional anyway.

Reactions: larmor
I'm trying to figure out the SC fees. $2.08 for 8 kWh at Buena Park, but much greater amounts of energy for free 3 different times at Fountain Valley. What gives? This is on my daughter's new Model 3.
Hi @Vern Padgett
Model 3 cars do not get any "FREE" supercharging, only Model S and X cars got this perk either by using a referral during purchase or based on when the car was bought.
Tesla did also recently increase the cost of supercharging.

I'm trying to figure out the SC fees. $2.08 for 8 kWh at Buena Park, but much greater amounts of energy for free 3 different times at Fountain Valley. What gives? This is on my daughter's new Model 3.

Perhaps a glitch since M3s do not get free Supercharging ever.

Although, Elon purportedly said, in the 2016 shareholders meeting:

"Model 3, from the beginning we said free charging is not included in the Model 3 – free unlimited charging is not included, so, free long distance is, but not free local. It becomes really unwieldy for people to use the gas station approach for electric cars, like, cars should really be charged where you charge your phone, but then you just need to solve the long distance problem which is what the supercharger stations will do."

Hmmm.

Likely either Fountain Valley isn't setup properly in the database, or that the site owner pays for the electricity and as such Tesla doesn't charge for it, or the idle time.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett

Harris Ranch doesn't need Idle fees....... The smelll makes you leave before they are needed:)

• Funny
Reactions: Sandollars