Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fees doesn't work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's implementation of idle fees is a good start but just as I observed and others have pointed out. People just removed the charging cable amd jist park there. There was this guy who just parked there and chatting while others are waiting thinking they were charging.

I think tesla should implement the fee base on if the car actually moved after unplugging using GPS and if they actually drive put of the parking spot.

GPS isn't accurate enough - it'll produce false bills, especially if you are underground.
If I saw someone unplug and stand there, I'd politely ask them to move so I could charge - we should all do that really! It's a total d~ck move to occupy a spot and not charge when someone is waiting. This is worse than ICE"ing.

It could be as simple as seeing the car shift into drive and move at least 20 feet. No need for GPS, just need to see it driving.

Tesla's implementation of idle fees is a good start but just as I observed and others have pointed out. People just removed the charging cable amd jist park there. There was this guy who just parked there and chatting while others are waiting thinking they were charging.

I think tesla should implement the fee base on if the car actually moved after unplugging using GPS and if they actually drive put of the parking spot.
Did you not ask him to move his car?

Tesla should be able to determine if a car is moved after charging has been completed.

That doesn't mean a driver could move out of the charging spot and then return and defeat the detection, but at least Tesla could verify the car has moved enough to clear the charging spot.

What Tesla should do is extend the functionality of the smartphone app to make it easy for Tesla owners to report supercharger issues - such as broken chargers, inaccessible spots, ICEd chargers, or Tesla drivers who are parked while not connected to a charger. Sending a photo of the car's VIN or license plate would help Tesla absolutely identify any cars that are abusing the superchargers - and Tesla could then take other actions such as charging them an idle fee or possibly even suspending supercharger privileges for a while.

Tesla should also consider eliminating the special case of only charging when the stalls are busy. All Tesla drivers should be trained to charge - and then move, no matter how busy the superchargers are.

I like your idea. Wouldn't the owner be surprised when he gets a Tesla app notification that his Tesla has begun charging? If he just forgot to plug in his car, he will not think anything of the notification. But if he intentionally left the car unplugged, it will definitely get his attention and maybe motivate him to go back and move the car to avoid idle fees.

If they are not there, you could be nice and plug the car back in, maybe they forgot in the first place.

GPS isn't accurate enough - it'll produce false bills, especially if you are underground.
If I saw someone unplug and stand there, I'd politely ask them to move so I could charge - we should all do that really! It's a total d~ck move to occupy a spot and not charge when someone is waiting. This is worse than ICE"ing.

I agree...HOWEVER, it's amazing how oblivious people can be sometimes. Point being, ask them nicely to move so you can charge, as there is a good chance they just weren't thinking or paying attention, rather than being intentional goobers.