Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fees doesn't work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's implementation of idle fees is a good start but just as I observed and others have pointed out. People just removed the charging cable amd jist park there. There was this guy who just parked there and chatting while others are waiting thinking they were charging.

I think tesla should implement the fee base on if the car actually moved after unplugging using GPS and if they actually drive put of the parking spot.

that is just plain rudeness and ignorance of other people

Reactions: mrElbe and neroden
Tesla owners are the problem even at Hotel HPWC spots they park in charging stalls all night. 3-4 hours of charge is likely all that is needed. Courtesy dictates that set you timer on your phone and move your car !
No, I don't think its realistic for people to set an alarm to wake up during the night to move the car. Also for the majority of cars, either with 40A originals or 48A now, it takes more than 3-4 hours to charge with a HPWC. Some hotels don't have them on 100A circuits anyway even if the car could draw 72 or 80A.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
I've seen this happen even well before the institution of idle fees. Some people are dicks and some people are completely oblivious.

Every time I've seen this happen I've gone ahead and asked the person to move their car. And each time they have. Some people took longer than they should have to get in their cars and proceed to leave, others jumped right in and moved it within seconds.

We can posit all these technological ways that we can solve for this, or we could use the age old approach of holding each other accountable.

My advice is this. Always have your phone ready in video mode (maybe check local laws on the recording of audio) and if you ask the person to move and they become confrontational, just record it, share it here, share it so that other people take notice..you never know how that could come back around to bite someone.

No, I don't think its realistic for people to set an alarm to wake up during the night to move the car. Also for the majority of cars, either with 40A originals or 48A now, it takes more than 3-4 hours to charge with a HPWC. Some hotels don't have them on 100A circuits anyway even if the car could draw 72 or 80A.

Yeah that's where all the courtesy rules start breaking down. It's even worse living in Silicon Valley apartment complexes with shared chargers where most people think waking up at 10AM and unplugging by 11 is the norm if they arrived home at 7PM the night before and plugged in…

I think ultimately this problem will have to be solved with valets that rotate cars for you or robots that do the same (e.g. real FSD + snake charger). Until then, we will go through lots and lots of post-it notes and capital letters.

• Informative
Reactions: Missile Toad
Tesla owners are the problem even at Hotel HPWC spots they park in charging stalls all night. 3-4 hours of charge is likely all that is needed. Courtesy dictates that set you timer on your phone and move your car !

When I have the only EV at the hotel, why would I set a timer to wake me in the middle of the night? Much better to just stay plugged in, like any EV should be overnight, and finish charging in the morning with the app to pre-heat the battery and cabin.

If sharing the HPWC with another guest, it would be a whole different story.

GSP

When I have the only EV at the hotel, why would I set a timer to wake me in the middle of the night? Much better to just stay plugged in, like any EV should be overnight, and finish charging in the morning with the app to pre-heat the battery and cabin.

If sharing the HPWC with another guest, it would be a whole different story.

GSP

How do you know there aren't other Teslas there needing to charge? Or that one might be arriving soon? Also, he didn't say it had to be the middle of the night. He said 3 or 4 hours should be enough (probably to get to a supercharger the next day). If you plug-in at 7:00pm, you can unplug at 10:00pm in case someone else needs it. I agree that setting an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug is unreasonable. The former I would absolutely do, but not the latter (unless someone asked me, then I absolutely would)

How do you know there aren't other Teslas there needing to charge? Or that one might be arriving soon? Also, he didn't say it had to be the middle of the night. He said 3 or 4 hours should be enough (probably to get to a supercharger the next day). If you plug-in at 7:00pm, you can unplug at 10:00pm in case someone else needs it. I agree that setting an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug is unreasonable. The former I would absolutely do, but not the latter (unless someone asked me, then I absolutely would)

When I pull in to a hotel at night, I leave the FOB with the valet to do what's needed. (Ritz, Marriott, Hyatt valets are all trained to use the Tesla HPWCs). So yes, I am that late night scrapper frequently pulling into a hotel while most others are sleeping and would welcome the same "Valet has my FOB" courtesy from other Tesla drivers. BTW the Ritz in MDR has recently changed their policy that only Valets can access the HPWC due to increasing demand and absentee drivers. We are once again, creating the hated restrictions on ourselves.

I disagree... You usually have no idea how much energy a hotel HPWC is providing... Case in point, last year we stayed at Embassy Suites in La Jolla and their HPWC was great to have but slow.... VERY slow.... The car charged each night until roughly 5AM and I'm not getting up at 5AM to go move the car when I'm getting up at 7AM anyhow...

Jeff

I disagree... You usually have no idea how much energy a hotel HPWC is providing... Case in point, last year we stayed at Embassy Suites in La Jolla and their HPWC was great to have but slow.... VERY slow.... The car charged each night until roughly 5AM and I'm not getting up at 5AM to go move the car when I'm getting up at 7AM anyhow...

Jeff

In cases like that (self parking, expecting to charge into the night). I normally ask at the front desk if they have any other guests they expect to be using the charger, make sure the front desk knows which car is mine, and give them my cell.

It's happened twice so far. Getting to a hotel late in the day with a low battery means 8-10 hours @ 240V/30A.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It doesn't need GPS. Tesla knows if the car moves through the tire rotation, steering wheel position, and other sensors. Summon and automatic parking use these techniques. They don't use GPS to guide or know that it's moving. After charging ends and the time expires, Tesla simply needs to report that the vehicle moved X number of feet. And it can be programmed to know if someone tries to back out and pull back into the same spot.

Reactions: cwerdna
Since the Tesla app has notifications, Tesla could add some functionality to the app to help when there is charger contention.

When you find a charger that is being used, you could submit a request to the app to be notified when the charger becomes available. Tesla should be able to detect which SC or destination charger is being requested - and send notification on the car currently in the spot requesting the car be moved at the end of charging. And when that happens a notification could be provided to the driver waiting for the charger to be freed.

Since the Tesla app has notifications, Tesla could add some functionality to the app to help when there is charger contention.

When you find a charger that is being used, you could submit a request to the app to be notified when the charger becomes available. Tesla should be able to detect which SC or destination charger is being requested - and send notification on the car currently in the spot requesting the car be moved at the end of charging. And when that happens a notification could be provided to the driver waiting for the charger to be freed.
No, the destination chargers do not have communication like the superchargers do. They're no different than the HPWC you would install in your garage.

Tesla's implementation of idle fees is a good start but just as I observed and others have pointed out. People just removed the charging cable amd jist park there. There was this guy who just parked there and chatting while others are waiting thinking they were charging.

I think tesla should implement the fee base on if the car actually moved after unplugging using GPS and if they actually drive put of the parking spot.

If it's the pull in type vs back in type of stall, I will have ZERO problem with double parking any jerk parked in a stall and unplugged so that I can reach the cable.

But the REAL reason it isn't working is because there's no actual idle fee enforcement of any kind right now. It's just a stated policy but until Tesla does this:

1) Forces everyone to have a card on file in order to be able to charge(even if you have lifetime free SCing).
2) Fixes their apps to notify you with audible push notifications and or SMS messaging to tell you the the fees are about to commence and then are in fact incurring.
3) Charges your card immediately as the fees incur.

the idle fee policy won't have any teeth.

And yes, as part of the charing being finished, you should still incur fees unless you actually move your car out of the spot which Tesla could easily determine not just via GPS but whether or not your car was started and rolled back or forward far enough to actually be out of the spot.

GPS isn't accurate enough - it'll produce false bills, especially if you are underground.
If I saw someone unplug and stand there, I'd politely ask them to move so I could charge - we should all do that really! It's a total d~ck move to occupy a spot and not charge when someone is waiting. This is worse than ICE"ing.

What does making sure the car has started and moved 10 feet out of the spot have to do with GPS?????