Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idle fees doesn't work.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owners are the problem even at Hotel HPWC spots they park in charging stalls all night. 3-4 hours of charge is likely all that is needed. Courtesy dictates that set you timer on your phone and move your car !
Even better would be to leave your mobile number on the dash. Then you can remotely unlock using the app, or move your car if there's no space.
I'm planning a road trip in a weeks time, and my first stop will be at a motel at about 11pm. The car will be almost empty on arrival, and I don't plan to set my alarm for 4am to go and move it, but I could conceivably unlock with app and send a smiley face at 4am if someone rocks in needing some juice...

Even better would be to leave your mobile number on the dash. Then you can remotely unlock using the app, or move your car if there's no space.
I'm planning a road trip in a weeks time, and my first stop will be at a motel at about 11pm. The car will be almost empty on arrival, and I don't plan to set my alarm for 4am to go and move it, but I could conceivably unlock with app and send a smiley face at 4am if someone rocks in needing some juice...

I created an email alias, [email protected] and made a laminated card. I keep in the little pocket in the front of the driver seat. Whenever I'm charging, I throw it on the dash:

upload_2017-4-1_11-37-33.png

Sounds very reasonable from your perspective. But if I also arrived at the same hotel at 11pm almost empty needing a charge...would I risk just going to sleep and then waking up at 4am to try to contact you to unplug your car so that I can then get out of bed and plug my car in? Starting to charge at 4am is better than nothing for sure if it all works out, but I would probably opt to stress out earlier upon my arrival and find another charging source if possible to try to mitigate any negative possibilites. What would you do if you arrived at 11pm and the other car was parked there charging already? I mean, my car will take 6-8 hours to charge enough for the next leg of my trip. If you called me at 4am and told me that you needed the charger, what's to say that I wouldn't tell you nicely to go to hell because I need to charge further? Who's to say when someone has "enough" charge.

It's strictly a first come, first serve model today. Charging $$$ for the kWs or for the time is one strategy and a deterrent for some people who maybe don't really need the charge. But come on, we are all Tesla owners...we just spent likely over $100k on a car...is another 20 bucks in charging costs or Supercharger idle fees really going to break the bank? And that's removing the absolute need to charge. And at a hotel charger that is free, I would be more likely to assume that I'm not going to get a turn if there is another car already parked there and look for an alternative myself instead of cursing the other guy.

And if I'm at a hotel charger and I really wanted to be a PITA, it's a trivial matter to estimate and set the exact amperage I would need to charge at in order to make the charging session last the whole night so that my car doesn't "finish" charging until I'm ready to leave. Like I said, who's to say how much is enough charge?

I'm not an assh*le, but I can certainly think like one and understand why things happen the way they happen. Anyways, that's the exactly the problem with EVs today...the public charging infrastructure is still in its relative infancy along with the etiquette that needs to coexist with it. It's not really cost-effective to put a charger in every parking space because ICE cars still outnumber EVs at a rate far greater than 1000:1.

Last edited:
So many complex options being thrown out there, valets at every corner, robots, robotic charge cables, cars moving on their own, paying a hooker to move your car, etc

When the easiest and most likely the best solution is to add more charging stations.
All these fancy hotels can definitely afford to purchase those cheap clipper creak units or the more expensive double unit from ChargePoint. The hotel surely has enough power access to serve more than just one or two stations

DONE!

So many complex options being thrown out there, valets at every corner, robots, robotic charge cables, cars moving on their own, paying a hooker to move your car, etc

When the easiest and most likely the best solution is to add more charging stations.
All these fancy hotels can definitely afford to purchase those cheap clipper creak units or the more expensive double unit from ChargePoint. The hotel surely has enough power access to serve more than just one or two stations

DONE!

I think you need to combine your solution with: highly dissuade local charging and commuter charging. If a charger is within 50 miles of your "home," there needs to be some sort of penalty. If it's solely a long-distance network, you won't have nearly the same amount of stress. The best charging location is in your home and the office, where your vehicle is idle the most. If we have mass adoption of millions of EVs, the number of charging stations would be astronomical if people aren't charging at home/work. I understand not everyone has a home, but then their condo, mid-rise, parking garage, or apartment needs to install chargers. By "home," I mean the vehicle's "home/most idle" locations.

We can't solve this by treating electricity and charging like gas stations. It's incredibly inconvenient. The vast majority of us have a way to get electricity to the vehicle at home or an office for a lot less money (and a lot more convenience) than building Superchargers. We have spent billions (trillions?) on the infrastructure to get electricity to the home already. Gas vehicles don't have that.

[QUOTE="MarkS22, post: 2037551, member: 34421"If a charger is within 50 miles of your "home," there needs to be some sort of penalty.[/QUOTE]

The nearest Superchargers to my home are all about 30-50 miles away. I can imagine there will be times when I forget to plug in at home or need to make unplanned sidetrips and find myself closer to one of these Superchargers than home with some range anxiety. In those cases, since my car has an allotment of 400kWh of SC access per year, I think it's justifiable to charge at a Supercharger without guilt and purely out of need. I think limiting free SC access is an acceptable step given the ever increasing number of Teslas on the road and the limited number of SC stalls, along with idle fees, etc. But any other disincentive to using SC as a primary source of charging for "locals" should be easy to implement based on the frequency of SC, I would think.

I agree there's no reason to limit nearby supercharging now that people have to pay for it, but you're not going to forget to plug in your car at home. It very quickly becomes a habit. Pull in garage, exit car, plug in car, walk into house. You won't forget to do it, any more than you would forget to plug in your smart phone at night.

Reactions: Shaggy
I agree there's no reason to limit nearby supercharging now that people have to pay for it, but you're not going to forget to plug in your car at home. It very quickly becomes a habit. Pull in garage, exit car, plug in car, walk into house. You won't forget to do it, any more than you would forget to plug in your smart phone at night.

Lol...I regularly forget to plug in my phone before bedtime, so this may not bode well for me! Perhaps Tesla will add an "Are you plugged in?" function to the app one day. WOn't help if I can't keep my phone charged up, but it's a step in the right direction.

I imagine it could... My 2013 Fusion will do this. "Serenity is scheduled to charge at 5 AM, but is not plugged in" is alert I get.

But proving the world will make a better idiot, I have woken up to run out to the car to at least get an hour charge before work.

I think you need to combine your solution with: highly dissuade local charging and commuter charging. If a charger is within 50 miles of your "home," there needs to be some sort of penalty.
No. What if one needs that nearby Supercharger to finish driving home on a long trip? In terms of Supercharger network utilization, it's best to wait until one's battery is relatively low before charging. But if I had to worry about being penalized for charging close to home, I'd have to get a bigger charge at a Supercharger further away, which would be less efficient in terms of time. Plus, in my particular case, the Superchargers closest to my home are often not as crowded as some of the ones further away.

Also, who's to say it's wrong for Tesla owners to use Superchargers to enable mega-commutes (beyond the car's single-charge range) that they may make once or twice per week? It'd be preferable if they can charge at their destinations, but not everyone has that option. I don't fit into this category myself, but I'm just saying.

As I've posted elsewhere, it's too complicated for Tesla to be the arbiter of what constitutes "legitimate" Supercharging. I think their pay model on newer cars will have to suffice. Those of us with older cars will just have to do our best to be conscientious of our use. It's not perfect, and there are abusers, but it's what we have.

Sadly, I've forgotten three times in 2017 already! At least I can go most of the week though before I need to charge, so doing so a day later doesn't really impact me.

If the driver were not there, the car would be locked and the charge port would not open.
I did a little test today and, blow me down, @Cyclone and @callmesam were exactly right. Locked car, no fob, press charge probe button and port opens.

It is only the reverse that won't happen. You cannot remove the charge probe from a locked car.