Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If 8.0 ships tomorrow everyone's next Tesla payment is on me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to tell the car to check for an update? Similar to on the iPhone goto "Settings -> General -> Sofware Update" and it checks the server.

Nope. That's what makes this so fun. Tesla rolls out the releases based on their own algorithm. The car will periodically check, but you can trigger it to check (allegedly) by entering a geofenced area around service centers and stores. That said, it doesn't really matter if you trigger the 'check for software' feature if they haven't flagged your VIN as needing one. That part is done at the mother ship. You just have to wait with the rest of us. :)

"Ships" includes launching the metaphorical boat. That means the first packet of TCP/IP sent with firmware/software release v8.0 leaves Tesla and is on the Internet on its way to a customer car. (Even if it wasn't at the car yet when deadline strikes.)

I originally said the "first" packet till I realized that the entire software package was "the thing shipping" vs. the first bit that hits the wire. If I make a ship out of legos and throw one piece of it overboard, has it left the dock? That said, if we go first packet and Baker island it inflicts maximum potential for financial payoff. Hmmm... Torn between logic and money.

The car will periodically check, but you can trigger it to check (allegedly) by entering a geofenced area around service centers and stores.

I believe it actually involves being connected to the Service Center's wi-fi network, and not geofencing. That's just what I've read around here though - can't say I have any personal experience with this actually working.

I'm not certain that you need to connect to Wifi ... but ...

There are 2 wi-fi networks. Tesla Guest and Tesla Service. Tesla Service does not broadcast the SSID, so you have to manually select a previously used network and then you can select the Tesla Service network and it will connect.

@K-MTG re: your question about wifi. I have the same issues. I would recommend staying off wifi. When the app can't connect to your car, that means the VPN connection to Tesla from your car is down (but the car and/or Tesla thinks it's up, so is trying to use it). I would presume that software updates are delivered over the VPN. Erego if the VPN is down, Tesla can't push the update to you, even if it wanted to. Of course I could be wrong, and the car will periodically notice the VPN is dead, and reconnect and ask for updates. I'm taking my chances on LTE though. That's how I've gotten all my previous updates, and I was one of the first to get 2.36.31.

Reactions: K-MTG
@K-MTG re: your question about wifi. I have the same issues. I would recommend staying off wifi. When the app can't connect to your car, that means the VPN connection to Tesla from your car is down (but the car and/or Tesla thinks it's up, so is trying to use it). I would presume that software updates are delivered over the VPN. Erego if the VPN is down, Tesla can't push the update to you, even if it wanted to. Of course I could be wrong, and the car will periodically notice the VPN is dead, and reconnect and ask for updates. I'm taking my chances on LTE though. That's how I've gotten all my previous updates, and I was one of the first to get 2.36.31.

I just hotspoted my iPhone which is on Verizon. Roughly 30 MB download, I have a gigabit internet connection so it would have been better if I was able to get WiFi to work. (It worked yesterday, somedays it does and somedays it doesn't). I am also running a VPN on my Mac Mini Server so interference perhaps???

The app loads well when hotspoted from my iPhone so if it doesn't get released in the next few hours I will just leave it on LTE if it still doesn't work on wifi.