Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If buy CPO with 21" wheels, can you simply replace with 19"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as this would help my decision process on buying a CPO...Especially on P models with 21" wheels...

The Example; if one buys a P85D with 21" wheels, can I simple replace with 19" that I purchase? Are there any adjustments needed on the car itself (or is this simply a new 19" wheel purchase)?

Also, does the same answer hold true for the staggered 21" wheels on some P85D's: Can I just buy 4 19" wheels and tires to replace?

Thank you.

Yes, you can replace any Tesla wheels with any others, including going staggered to non-staggered or vise-versa.

There are aftermarket wheels specifically made for Tesla that will also work (see T-Sportline for example).

You do have to reset the wheel size on the touchscreen, but that's about it.

Also make sure you have the proper TPMS version installed. There was a cutover from V1 to V2 around VIN 50900 for Model S.

Curious as this would help my decision process on buying a CPO...Especially on P models with 21" wheels...

The Example; if one buys a P85D with 21" wheels, can I simple replace with 19" that I purchase? Are there any adjustments needed on the car itself (or is this simply a new 19" wheel purchase)?

Also, does the same answer hold true for the staggered 21" wheels on some P85D's: Can I just buy 4 19" wheels and tires to replace?

Thank you.
I did this but opposite. I brought the 21s when I picked up the car, called service prior and scheduled an appointment to have them switch just after closing.

Service will also update the aviatar on dash/app for free.

Reactions: JPUConn
Yes, you can replace any Tesla wheels with any others, including going staggered to non-staggered or vise-versa.

There are aftermarket wheels specifically made for Tesla that will also work (see T-Sportline for example).

You do have to reset the wheel size on the touchscreen, but that's about it.

Also make sure you have the proper TPMS version installed. There was a cutover from V1 to V2 around VIN 50900 for Model S.

Thank you for the quick and clear reply. Who installs the TPMS, me or the Tesla folks? thx

Thank you for the quick and clear reply. Who installs the TPMS, me or the Tesla folks? thx

It would be whoever mounts the tires on the rims. If you buy a new set of tires+rims, make sure the seller knows if you need V1 or V2 of the TMPS (based on VIN). If you don't say anything, they'll probably install V2 as that's much more common now. If you buy a used set, find out which version they have and if you need to change them. Tesla or any good tire shop can make the switch, but you'll have to buy the right set of TPMS.

Thank you.

We are on the same boat as there are many CPO cars with 21" wheels but we prefer the 19" wheels.

If you buy one with 21" wheels you can probably post a message here to find someone with 19" wheels who would want to switch with you and perhaps since they are technically getting more valuable tires, they can pay for any fees associated with swapping the wheels.

Good advice about making sure the TPMS versions match.

For this reason, I would prefer to do this at a Tesla service center so you can bring in both vehicles and they will do the swap properly and reset TPMS.

Reactions: spy4007
It would be whoever mounts the tires on the rims. If you buy a new set of tires+rims, make sure the seller knows if you need V1 or V2 of the TMPS (based on VIN). If you don't say anything, they'll probably install V2 as that's much more common now. If you buy a used set, find out which version they have and if you need to change them. Tesla or any good tire shop can make the switch, but you'll have to buy the right set of TPMS.
Thank you.

We are on the same boat as there are many CPO cars with 21" wheels but we prefer the 19" wheels.

If you buy one with 21" wheels you can probably post a message here to find someone with 19" wheels who would want to switch with you and perhaps since they are technically getting more valuable tires, they can pay for any fees associated with swapping the wheels.

Good advice about making sure the TPMS versions match.

For this reason, I would prefer to do this at a Tesla service center so you can bring in both vehicles and they will do the swap properly and reset TPMS.
You're probably right. Although being in So Cal, can probably do the deal with folks here. Maybe...

I bought mine with 19” cyclones.

Found some 21” staggered arachnids on here and had SC do the swap. It was no charge since the guy I bought them from had the wheels sitting at SC and they include install with the referral reward.

I just bought a set of square 21” turbines, getting them powder coated and going to put those on.

I know, I have a problem. Lol.

I guess I have a quick question now, can my tpms2 sensors in my arachnids be easily be installed in my turbines and if the wheel guy who is powdercoating them does it, anything I need to do? Reset sensor?

Yes. No.

But just to make sure, I'd put the same sensor back in the same corner where it was on the arachnids. If not, then you'll need to reset the TPMS on the touchscreen.

Also don't be alarmed if the dash reads all flats and big red warnings when you drive off... the car will quickly figure it out.

Reactions: MC408
Why worry about putting them back in the same spot,, when you rotate the tires it doesn't matter.

It would cheaper to buy a new set of sensors than having to break down your other set and swap them around each time. This way you can swap rims and or sell without having to break them down again to swap sensors. Aren't they $35 each from Tesla?

Yes. No.

But just to make sure, I'd put the same sensor back in the same corner where it was on the arachnids. If not, then you'll need to reset the TPMS on the touchscreen.

Also don't be alarmed if the dash reads all flats and big red warnings when you drive off... the car will quickly figure it out.

Why worry about putting them back in the same spot,, when you rotate the tires it doesn't matter.

It would cheaper to buy a new set of sensors than having to break down your other set and swap them around each time. This way you can swap rims and or sell without having to break them down again to swap sensors. Aren't they $35 each from Tesla?

Thanks for the advice, I ended up buying a second set of sensors and swapping out the wheels, no issues and recalibrated fine.

Reactions: Don TLR