TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

If Electrochromic windows are offered on ModelX. Will you choose this option?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Augers453, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Augers453

Augers453 New Member

If Electrochromic windows are offered on ModelX. Will you choose this option? Pro's/Cons?

2. R o b

R o b Member

Living in a fairly northerly location I'd prefer my windows not to be tinted at all, as it's dark a lot in the winter months and dull a bit more than I'd like in the summer, certainly this year anyway. On the days when it is sunny I want to enjoy the maximum amount of light. However, if the electrochromic windows can be pretty much untinted then that would be a good solution. I could then have them clear most of the time and darken them if I travel further south. They might be useful when parked to hide the contents of the car too.

3. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

An emphatic YES! If not, we'll have the windows tinted anyway.

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Aren't electro-chromatic windows selectable? While I wouldn't want my windows tinted 100% of the time, it would be nice to be able to "turn on" the tint when needed. In that case, I would choose the option.

5. lucy

lucy bluehair

Depends on price, not sure how much more I'd be willing to pay. Do we have ANY idea what this might cost?
    I guess I can make curtains or shades if it's too bad! Might end up looking like the world's most exciting hearse. ;-)

6. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Yes, but only if it was controllable. I too live in an area where it's rather grey much of the winter. I don't think I would tint and perhaps make or buy shades for all the windows for camping.

7. mzpolo

mzpolo Member

+1. The difference even just some tinting makes on a 95 degree day is huge!

8. de704

de704 XP268

YES!!!!

9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Obviously depends on price and function, so it's hard to postulate. But if they could heavily obscure while parked in the sun, for instance - that'd be very cool. (No pun intended, but I'll take what I can get.) Generally speaking, I will likely opt into most things on the car outside of a "P" type drive unit. Happy with my MS P85 and just don't see the need with an SUV. Features, though - I can be sold.