Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Elon has pulled plug on Starlink in Ukraine would you pull your order?

If Elon has shut off Starlink in Ukraine would you pull your order?

• Yes

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Have one, won’t buy another

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy is an arsehole but I don’t let his personality judge my choice of car.

I also live in the hope he gets booted out as CEO or ends up in prison and we have proper management of Tesla.
Yeah, but if being an arsehole has meaningful real world consequences on innocents or directly/indirectly aids war crime committing powers is it something you would want to help facilitate or tie your flag to (by driving the car)?

It is largely hypothetical of course, as none of this has been completely verified as 100%, just the FT story. But there is clearly a moral aspect to it, unless you like to ignore that type of thing. Consumers boycott stuff for a lot less. But obviously people can make their own decisions in the free world.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
I don't generally let politics dictate my car choice, if I like a car, I like a car. All top 50 (or so?) companies are as bad as one another, Joe public will never know what goes on at that level and you and I have no idea what Elon has been asked/told to do by the powers that be. It's pretty irrelevant to a car choice for me, sorry.

Reactions: GSP
FT Author's first byline - glory hunting?

Another clickbait title unsupported by the article itself. Probably insisted upon by an editor, rather than the author. Often A/B (or many more) titles are used and the one that gets most traction/clicks, emotional engagement (usually base instincts such as hate, disgust or fear). Often any corrections are hidden in updated articles that are also placed behind the paywall. So misinformation often public, retraction private. No idea if this is public, FT quality falling rapidly in my opinion.

Title is misunderstanding just how much SpaceX is helping Ukraine by preventing Russian use of stolen or otherwise obtained Starlink terminals. In teh article it explains a likely reason - rapid Ukrainian advances into what SpaceX had marked as Russian-occupied land, which SpaceX were blocking to prevent Russian use of Starlink.

Remember Russian Federation forces have few good comms options - their radios seemed to have failed, they are piggy-backing off Ukraine's own mobile phone system - presumably insecurely (lots of intercept videos/audio).

Still, it served as a way to tickle the amygdala, reinforce illogical & untrue prejudices and bring hate to the individual who is greatly helping Ukraine, despite Russian death threats.

Having great comms allows Ukrainian soldiers to use their artillery app which is (arguably) the most advanced artillery-fire calling system.

$100 million of SpaceX money well spent, in my opinion.

1665184795814.png

1665184671028.png

1665184576697.png

Last edited:
So it seems Starlink in Ukraine has been having problems, quite impactful on the war effort. If Elon has cut it off would you cut off your Tesla order?

It seems a bit coincidence after his stupid twitter poll the other day, and he has history of being spiteful.

So with that in mind, to the poll…….

A possible option 4 could be "It would encourage me to place another order."

Just a thought, not everybody thinks Russia are the bad guys, indeed there are many that believe this Zelenskie is a warmongering con man that's caused more damage to our economic situation than Putin has.

Just a thought, not everybody thinks Russia are the bad guys, indeed there are many that believe this Zelenskie is a warmongering con man that's caused more damage to our economic situation than Putin has.
Yeah, some people liked Hitler too. The poll isn't designed to cater for those types or the illuminati conspiracy theory nut jobs. Plenty of echo-chambers they can go to on the internet.

Tesla owners don't generally strike me as these types, although the company car tax breaks might have pulled in an alternative crowd (this paragraph is a joke).

Likewise, there are many that think the Earth is flat... They are also wrong.

Muskovite now thinks Taiwan should become a Chinese special administrative zone like Hong Kong. Is there an awful authorisation regime he won’t side with?

He has to be nice to the CCP so ignore anything he says as you would ignore the public opinion of any mainland Chinese or other oppressed people.

It was an interview so he was asked about Taiwan. Had he done a random Tweet out of the blue, I might consider the statement more of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.