Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If given choice: AP1 or AP2 HW with SW to come?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of bitch'n and moan'n about AP2. How many AP2 folks, if given the choice at configuration, would have preferred to get current AP1 hardware and software or AP2 hardware knowing that it would be 2Q2017 before parity with AP1 was reached but knowing that beyond that it would have much better capability?

Reactions: bhzmark
I faced this decision 3 months ago and elected to go with AP 1.0 and I have to say, I am very happy with my decision. It works pretty well.

One day AP 2.0 might be better, but it could be 2 years from now.

Being on the bleeding edge of technology is not always a smooth ride.

Reactions: Tomnook
Neither really.

I have AP1 on my Tesla Model S, and I'll keep it instead of trading it in after three years like I had planned.

But, I probably will trade in my Jeep Wrangler on a Volvo SUV that has pilot assist. Probably not this year, but in the next couple years. Whenever they have a Level 3 system.

If Tesla beats them with a safe system than I'll reconsider, but it has to be a shipping system. None of this "it's going to be so cool in 6 months" stuff.

I might change my mind if there is a flying car under $150K. That would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: Electricfan
Tough question.

Had I known in October that Tesla would be this far behind and this shady about EAP, then at that time I would've not purchased a Tesla at all -- either waiting until it was a mature system (hopefully from a more mature company) or I would've bought the T8 Volvo XC90 (if I just couldn't stand my current car any longer).

Had Tesla been honest about the roadmap for EAP, then I might've still ordered in October.

If I were just now thinking of buying a Tesla, I'd not buy AP1 -- I'd worry about support for an old system. But I'm not sure I'd buy EAP -- for if I read what I see now, I'd not trust Tesla.

Alas, I now own a really expensive car built by a company I have absolutely no trust in. Great. I really value integrity and honesty -- and while I'm sure others might, ba-dump-bump, disagree, it's nonetheless souring my ownership experience greatly.

Tesla tends to be optimistic on software schedules - a trait that isn't uncommon for software projects, especially when they are trying to deliver software on very aggressive schedules.

At the time AP 2.0 hardware was released to production, they evidently thought they were close enough to justify a December target for EAP to reach AP 1.0 capability.

As someone who's been responsible for major software projects, it's not surprising this is taking longer than they thought. They likely tested the new hardware with prototype software - and thought it worked well enough to justify the aggressive schedule. But prototype software usually makes some simplifying assumptions, in order to get the prototype up and running quickly - and the extra details needed to make a commercial release can take longer than expected.

Tesla could have been more conservative with the projected date for achieving AP 1 parity with the AP 2 software. In October, if they said it might take 6 to 9 months to achieve AP 1 parity, that probably wouldn't have impacted Tesla sales significantly. We still would have placed our S 100D order on January 20 - and would still complete our purchase (if/when the 100Ds are released for sale), even if the software wasn't working completely with the new AP 2 hardware.

I agree with the comment above, our S 100D purchase is for the long haul - we plan to keep the car for at least 80-100K miles, and if we have to wait a few months to get EAP working reasonably well - that's OK, because the new hardware has the potential to support FSD down the road (even if it takes longer than Tesla thinks they can do it).

Had I know for sure I would have gone with ap1, I don't think we are close to parity in the next 5 months, and I mean real parity not just speed. No more also positives, no more crazy lines and mystery cars.

I'm the idiot who paid an additional 4K freaking dollars also just to get self driving when in the next decade that comes out. Luckily I keep cars about 1.5. Gotta say is been a very very frustrating ride so far on Team Beta

Are you short Tesla?

I for one agree. Their rep has taken a hit with me. I recommend with reservations. I ordered a MS with AP2 and cancelled and ended up with a 2016.5 with AP1. I think AP1 is a great product. Like many here I am an Engineer and I agree with the vast majority of other owners in their concerns over AP2. I'll just come right out and say that I believe that the AP2 will not achieve full parity with AP1 but will offer other upgrades that AP1 won't. With Elon stating that the current hardware isn't sufficient for FSD and the desire for Tesla to stay cutting edge I believe they will be installing a new hardware setup within 12 months. Now thats just my opinion but I am concluding with the vast majority of the evidence presented. At some point we need to accept it's just not working.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Are you short Tesla?
Nope. I don't own any Tesla stock. I'm a Tesla owner and enthusiast (although less so now that I own one. :().

If your interests in the stock are so great that you cannot reasonably engage or trust people who do not like how Tesla is handling their ownership experience, I suggest you stick to the stock forum. I don't know if the "Are you short" thing is just a meme here, but it reeks of being a question asked in order to undermine any legitimacy and makes very clear that the person asking it is not operating rationally. .02.

I personally will be okay with it as long as I get it within a few months tops, I swear if I hear they are ready to ship Model 3 and we don't have fully functional AP2, I will go bananas

I think this is an extremely important point. When the model 3 is announced, IF it doesn't have the exact same AP hardware that the currently shipping MS/MS AP2 have then I think we AP2 owners are in for a world of hurt. The major focus of the company will be the Model 3 as it nears release and goes into production and support for an AP hardware that is not in the Model 3 will likely fall to the wayside.

Knowing what happened with AP1, and that my car will never behave as promised, I would stick with AP1 until AP2 is a reality. I feared there would be some disappointed owners when they posted prices and started taking money for future software abilities on the AP2 cars. Having said that, I do have a first day reservation for Model 3 and I want autonomous driving and the car sharing network ability in that car but may not take my own advice when the time comes to order or defer.