Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If Homelink does not get paired - try this

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

A few months ago I posted a thread looking for help on this forum since I could not get Homelink to pair with my Hormann remote
(Hormann is a well known garage door brand in Europe).

A lot of people suggested advice (thanks a lot to all helpers) but unfortunately, nothing worked.
As i kept trying, I found the solution (for me at least) .

I am posting it as a new thread since I think it can help other people, not only specifically Normann door owners.

So, now the solution :
The main thing is that Tesla manual instruct to point the remote directly to the frunk.
But actually, reading the instruction manual of my remote, two remotes must be set side by side when in pairing mode.

Therefore, I tried to present the remote against the front (20 cm to the left of the Tesla sign) NOT FRONTLY, BUT ON THE SIDE, (so say the left side of the remote is applied against the front of the car), and it worked on first attempt.

And for me, I immediately switched from totally mad to total zenitude.

I would really recommend Tesla Motors to update their manual to suggest the side remote pointing method when the front pointing method does not work.

Also, two other very important things.

- Battery of the remote must be brand new. I have the feeling the car has a not-so-good reception of the pairing signal, and is a bit hearing impaired.
- On the Hormann remote (at least), there is a red light showing when the remote is emitting. After 20 seconds, the red light goes off. But I found out (if i am correct) that the emission continues when light goes off - so keep pushing if needed.

Well this worked for me.
I hope it can help somebody else (what a relief when everything is ok, isn't it ?)

David

Hello,

A few months ago I posted a thread looking for help on this forum since I could not get Homelink to pair with my Hormann remote
(Hormann is a well known garage door brand in Europe).

A lot of people suggested advice (thanks a lot to all helpers) but unfortunately, nothing worked.
As i kept trying, I found the solution (for me at least) .

I am posting it as a new thread since I think it can help other people, not only specifically Normann door owners.

So, now the solution :
The main thing is that Tesla manual instruct to point the remote directly to the frunk.
But actually, reading the instruction manual of my remote, two remotes must be set side by side when in pairing mode.

Therefore, I tried to present the remote against the front (20 cm to the left of the Tesla sign) NOT FRONTLY, BUT ON THE SIDE, (so say the left side of the remote is applied against the front of the car), and it worked on first attempt.

And for me, I immediately switched from totally mad to total zenitude.

I would really recommend Tesla Motors to update their manual to suggest the side remote pointing method when the front pointing method does not work.

Also, two other very important things.

- Battery of the remote must be brand new. I have the feeling the car has a not-so-good reception of the pairing signal, and is a bit hearing impaired.
- On the Hormann remote (at least), there is a red light showing when the remote is emitting. After 20 seconds, the red light goes off. But I found out (if i am correct) that the emission continues when light goes off - so keep pushing if needed.

Well this worked for me.
I hope it can help somebody else (what a relief when everything is ok, isn't it ?)

David

Very helpful, thanks for posting.

I was fighting with a Genie garage door opener until I read this. Thanks!

Did that work with a Genie? Neighbor has Genie and I was unable to code my Model S to their door. But did my own Sears/Chamberlain in moments.

As described for Hormann the Genie transmitter light extinguishes after 20 seconds (possibly same units, different names). No matter I continued to hold the button I wasn't able to get my car to accept the signal.

David100: when you say "left" is that your left hand when facing the front of the car, or the car's left when rolling down the road?

Very helpful, thanks for posting.
I found it very much depends on the make and type of remote whether it keeps transmitting once the light goes out if you keep pressing.

I have one type I use where I could only get a working pairing by pressing the button a second time once the light went out.

The HOMELINK specification requires a stronger signal for pairing than for normal operation. That's why the remote has to be as close to the car's HOMELINK board as possible. Which part of the remote contains the transmitter also varies by make and type of remote.

The moral of this thread to me is that you might need to try various combinations of direction and possibly more than one press.

Did that work with a Genie? Neighbor has Genie and I was unable to code my Model S to their door. But did my own Sears/Chamberlain in moments.

As described for Hormann the Genie transmitter light extinguishes after 20 seconds (possibly same units, different names). No matter I continued to hold the button I wasn't able to get my car to accept the signal.

David100: when you say "left" is that your left hand when facing the front of the car, or the car's left when rolling down the road?

I have a Genie as well ... try a different remote (maybe the garage door keypad remote). That's the only one that would work.

In this sentence : "20 cm to the left of the Tesla sign" I meant left or the Tesla sign on the frunk when facing the car (the side that is on the right if you are sitting in the driver seat).
This is the same as what Tesla says.

My suggestion here is not rocket science obviously. The only thing I am saying that differs from Tesla manual is the following :
"If pairing does not work when pointing the remote frontly to the frunk, try again by applying the side (instead of the front) of the remote onto the front (frunk) of the car."
In any case, batteries of the remote should be brand new, and the procedure may take time (by pressing the remote a very long time, or repressing the button several times).