Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I accidentally switch to neutral while driving, can I switch back to drive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The intent of the law is to ensure that, when you are piloting your vehicle on public roadways, you remain in control of the vehicle, including the ability to accelerate at immediate need, should such arise.

There is the added benefit of, should you be struck by a medical emergency and lose consciousness, a car that is in neutral has much more potential to freewheel around the road after a crash due to being able to roll backwards and forwards. If it's in gear, it (should) only be able to move in one direction.

You're also a lot less likely to inadvertently shift into Reverse if you're already in the forward gear.

The intent of the law is to ensure that, when you are piloting your vehicle on public roadways, you remain in control of the vehicle, including the ability to accelerate at immediate need, should such arise.

There is the added benefit of, should you be struck by a medical emergency and lose consciousness, a car that is in neutral has much more potential to freewheel around the road after a crash due to being able to roll backwards and forwards. If it's in gear, it (should) only be able to move in one direction.

You're also a lot less likely to inadvertently shift into Reverse if you're already in the forward gear.

For the sake of discussion:
Given this law only applies to a downhill grade, I'm guessing they were worried about cooking the brakes.
Cruise control is arguably more dangerous than being in neutral if you have a medical emergency.
An automatic will freewheel around once the engine stalls when the fuel pump cuts out due to the inertia switch.
Automatics typically require a secondary motion (selector button pressed) to engage R from N whereas you can do from N to D directly.
Yeah, dropping an automatic into reverse when going forward is bad juju. But then, so is dropping it into L from D. Or 2nd from 5th on a manual.

Reactions: MentalNomad
Wait, the parking brake is automagically applied? I though it was applied by holding in the Park button on the gear selector? Doing that is what causes the parking brake indicator to appear on the dash panel of the MFD, at least.

Okay, I experimented with it a bit. Holding the park button does do something. After a long pause, you get a sound that's exactly like the end of the normal Park application, and from about the same place. I think what it does is wrench down on the same parking brakes harder, to really lock the wheels into place for steep hills or the like.

(And, of course, the Parking Brake icon comes up on the instrument cluster. It releases on shifting to drive the same way as without, though.)

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Okay, I experimented with it a bit. Holding the park button does do something. After a long pause, you get a sound that's exactly like the end of the normal Park application, and from about the same place. I think what it does is wrench down on the same parking brakes harder, to really lock the wheels into place for steep hills or the like.

(And, of course, the Parking Brake icon comes up on the instrument cluster. It releases on shifting to drive the same way as without, though.)

FWIW, the manual does not call out any different versions of parking brake based on application, nor would I expect the parking brake to ever use less than full force when engaged.

I did find that there is a warning if the car thinks it is on too steep of a hill for the parking brake to hold. That is sorta cool.

No depressing of the brake. All cars, cars and trucks must be able to switch between drive and neutral without depressing the brake or a button to move the lever. This is so if the car excelerater pedal gets stuck or engine stalls you can either brake or start the vehicle.
I have had cars where coming out of a drive through car wash I had to press on brake to go from N to D. It was super annoying but it just won't shift to D without brake.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
FWIW, the manual does not call out any different versions of parking brake based on application, nor would I expect the parking brake to ever use less than full force when engaged.

I did find that there is a warning if the car thinks it is on too steep of a hill for the parking brake to hold. That is sorta cool.
I wonder what exactly you're expected to do in that situation?

In other cars you just crank the parking brake and leave it in gear/park and never worry about the parking brake not holding...

The S and X require pressing the brake in order to shift from N to D. I don't have a 3, so I can't say about it.

I have had cars where coming out of a drive through car wash I had to press on brake to go from N to D. It was super annoying but it just won't shift to D without brake.

I have more experience than I care to admit with the Model S in this regard. (Stupid differences in AP stalks between our 3 and our S. Human factors FTW) :rolleyes:

At very low speeds, (leaving car wash tracks) the brake must be pressed to get from N to D. Car will beep and tell you to press brake to engage D.

At freeway speeds, it will shift from N to D with no brake press. You get a loud beep after you put the car in Neutral at highway speeds, but the car will go right back into D with a pull on the stalk. Lots of experience with this scenario, like I said earlier. :oops: We won't discuss my corresponding flashing of brights to turn off AP phenomena when I am in the 3.

At very low speeds, (leaving car wash tracks) the brake must be pressed to get from N to D. Car will beep and tell you to press brake to engage D.

We won't discuss my corresponding flashing of brights to turn off AP phenomena when I am in the 3.

That's good to know. I only have experience with the low-speed car wash scenario in going from N->D.

I've flashed my share of oncoming cars as well. :D

Reactions: Az_Rael
I wonder what exactly you're expected to do in that situation?

In other cars you just crank the parking brake and leave it in gear/park and never worry about the parking brake not holding...
Park someplace else? Be sure to turn your front wheel to hit the curb if you slide?
There are videos of cars where the tires melt the ice and go sliding downhill with the rear wheels locked. It would increase power drain, but the car could monitor wheel spin and use the sevice brakes too.

I think what it does is wrench down on the same parking brakes harder, to really lock the wheels into place for steep hills or the like.
I remember someone else in this forum that said the exact same thing but they heard it from a service tech. IIRC, the tech said it can put more wear & tear on the parking brake & recommend to only when needed rather than making a habit of it.